Missed 90 day report? confused about when the visa started.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Isn't the ominous "B5,000 plus B2,000 per day" warning only if the person is arrested with the missed 90-day report?  Last time I missed ( and that was a whole 90 days) I just got the usual B2,000 fine at Immigration when I did the next one and a stamp in the passport and a smile.

Yes, I believe so, much like overstay, do it at the airport its pay fine and goodbye, get arrested on the street on overstay and its different (heavier) consequences.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I finally collected the passport after being approved on the 29th of January

Unfortunately for you, it was clearly too much of a herculean effort for the Chiang Mai Immigration Office to have pointed out to you on that particular occasion that your next 90-day report was also due on the same date!

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Unfortunately for you, it was clearly too much of a herculean effort for the Chiang Mai Immigration Office to have pointed out to you on that particular occasion that your next 90-day report was also due on the same date!

Yeah I'm going in today but it's my fault for not looking at the paper probably. It was my first time and I assumed you went by the visa stamp which would be have been Dec 9th.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yeah I'm going in today but it's my fault for not looking at the paper probably. It was my first time and I assumed you went by the visa stamp which would be have been Dec 9th.

Best of luck and hope they are not too harsh on you.Please let us know how you faired.

• Love It 1

The penalty for a late 90-day address notification is usually 2,000 baht at worst. It is considered an administrative error, not like an overstay. Do not panic.

However, this could be a good time to learn the difference between "visa" (you currently have no unexpired visas), date of entry into Thailand, permission to stay (the period during which you are considered legally in Thailand if you do not leave) and extension of permission to stay (which currently allows you to stay until 29 December 2023).

The 90-day address notification is due:

• 90 days after the date of entry into Thailand if you recently re-entered.
  • 90 days after a first extension of a 90-day Non Immigrant permission to stay (you may have received this when applying for a visa, note visa, at immigration or when entering Thailand with a Non Immigrant visa acquired outside Thailand)
  • 90 days after your last 90-day address notification

In a few cases, Immigration might be helpful and automatically do a 90-day address notification any time you apply for a new extension. However, unless you have a slip to prove this was done, you need to do the notification 90 days after your previous one.

• Like 1

90 days report and visa extension dates are not related. You need to report your address every 90 days and get a paper in the passport with a date when to report again, irrespective of when any extension was issued. If you're more than 7 days late the official fine is 2000 Baht. The 5000 is for non-compliance when caught, not for being late if you report.

Now, the official rule is that when you leave Thailand and come back the 90 days are reset, which means you need to report 90 days after arrival. Some provinces request to follow a different procedure, superseding the national rule. Check with your immigration on that. In Hua Hin, for example, you need to keep the due date put in your passport before you left, or if expired while abroad you need to report 90 days again within 7 days of arrival in Thailand. 

39 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

90 days report and visa extension dates are not related. You need to report your address every 90 days and get a paper in the passport with a date when to report again, irrespective of when any extension was issued. If you're more than 7 days late the official fine is 2000 Baht. The 5000 is for non-compliance when caught, not for being late if you report.

Now, the official rule is that when you leave Thailand and come back the 90 days are reset, which means you need to report 90 days after arrival. Some provinces request to follow a different procedure, superseding the national rule. Check with your immigration on that. In Hua Hin, for example, you need to keep the due date put in your passport before you left, or if expired while abroad you need to report 90 days again within 7 days of arrival in Thailand. 

Unless the I/O resets your 90 days at the time you do your extension of stay like they were doing at CW in 2021 and early 2022.  Of course mine was recently reset in 2022 when I obtained my new LTR visa and stamp in October, and is now a one year report not 90 days. That's two times in a row my reporting of my address was tied to my extension of stay.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, Thalueng said:

As far as I remember the Samui immigration resets the 90 days reporting date when issues a new retirement extension. Which makes a lot of sense as the extension requires a proof of current address paperwork.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Laughable. 

The 90 report is reset upon reentry.

Due date will be 90 days from entry date

Yep lots of misinformation...I'm halfway through my second retirement extension and today submitted my first ever 90 days report online. Got an approval email 1-2 hours later. I was either out of the country every time before the 90 days report was due, or the Samui immigration was resetting it when the extension application was approved.

29 minutes ago, gearbox said:

As far as I remember the Samui immigration resets the 90 days reporting date when issues a new retirement extension. Which makes a lot of sense as the extension requires a proof of current address paperwork.

Makes zero sense to me.

90 day reports unrelated to extensions.

Yes some immigration offices file one same time as extension.

They think it's helpful. It's not. 

Very clear - your 90 days report was January 29th…

it has nothing to do with when you apply or get a visa…

after 90 days regardless of whatever your visa status, you are physically still in the country after 90 days then you must report…

pay the fine for not paying attention to detail…

10 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

it has nothing to do with when you apply or get a visa…

after 90 days regardless of whatever your visa status, you are physically still in the country after 90 days then you must report…

Incorrect for obtaining non O in Thailand and subsequent extension. 

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Laughable. 

The 90 report is reset upon reentry.

Due date will be 90 days from entry date

You provided so much good information in the past, but this time you're not. Stop ridiculing people who post first hand experience which might be different from your own. I said Hua Hin, didn't I, a place or IO you seem not to know anything about.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Makes zero sense to me.

90 day reports unrelated to extensions.

Yes some immigration offices file one same time as extension.

They think it's helpful. It's not. 

The 90 day reports appear to be way to maintain a useless bureaucracy which employees people. What sense is there to any of this? I had to sign my name 6 times today over multiple pieces of paper when paying my fine. It's insanity here but clearly they have nothing better to do with their population.

Next year I will file the same documents for my extension (in duplicates) and report my same address when I re-enter the country after a trip to Vietnam and fill out the same form every 90 days with duplicate information. I wish they would just make us pay some fee and be done with all the nonsense.

/rant over/

46 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

You provided so much good information in the past, but this time you're not. Stop ridiculing people who post first hand experience which might be different from your own. I said Hua Hin, didn't I, a place or IO you seem not to know anything about.

Today we asked about reentry and I think the IO said we need to just come and re-declare our address but the 90 day report will be reset to the reentry date. Otherwise you'd be required to do a 90 day report the first day you enter the country if you have been gone for more than 90 days. How does the make any sense? Maybe I'm missing something though...

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Today we asked about reentry and I think the IO said we need to just come and re-declare our address but the 90 day report will be reset to the reentry date. Otherwise you'd be required to do a 90 day report the first day you enter the country if you have been gone for more than 90 days. How does the make any sense? Maybe I'm missing something though...

My advice would be to do it online, very easy and they email you each time its due, takes 2 minutes and they email the confirmation to you aswell. Very painless and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Thalueng said:

I think @DrJack54 meant with the comment Laughable, that what Hua Hin is doing is Laughable and IMHO was not directed at you.

Hua Hin doing the following is certainly not how it is supposed to be,

while abroad you need to report 90 days again within 7 days of arrival in Thailand.

By any chance, do they mean by this NOT 90 Day report but your Address?

Edited by MJCM
Messed up the quotes

21 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

The 90 day report is based on the date you entered Thailand, even if that is 10 years earlier. 

Absolute garbage and the mods should stop this false information being posted, it is what leads to the confusion.

The slip in passport states quite clearly that submission of a TM7 is taken as notification at the first time.

Extending a visa will reset the clock, extending an extension will not.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

My advice would be to do it online, very easy and they email you each time its due, takes 2 minutes and they email the confirmation to you aswell. Very painless and simple.

+1

But keep an eye out if it is approved or not, don't assume that when you do the ONLINE report it's over and done with.

I personally HAD NO luck using the Online 90 Day report it kept saying "pending".  So keep checking and on the Due date just delete it from the 90 Day Report Online and go to the IO yourself.

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

However, this could be a good time to learn the difference between "visa" (you currently have no unexpired visas), date of entry into Thailand, permission to stay (the period during which you are considered legally in Thailand if you do not leave) and extension of permission to stay (which currently allows you to stay until 29 December 2023).

Exactly.

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Absolute garbage and the mods should stop this false information being posted, it is what leads to the confusion.

The slip in passport states quite clearly that submission of a TM7 is taken as notification at the first time.

Extending a visa will reset the clock, extending an extension will not.

How do you extend a visa?

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Go to IO, and get a Extension ????

For example Non - O (marriage) Visa from (for example) Savannakhet. You will get 90 days when entering Thailand, after the 90 days are almost over go to Immigration and get another 60 days for Visiting your Wife (this works of course for when you are Married)

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Go to IO, and get a Extension ????

For example Non - O (marriage) Visa from (for example) Savannakhet. You will get 90 days when entering Thailand, after the 90 days are almost over go to Immigration and get another 60 days for Visiting your Wife (this works of course for when you are Married)

I always thought that visas were 'used' the moment you entered Thailand and what you can extend is your permission to stay.

No visa can be extended!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I always thought that visas were 'used' the moment you entered Thailand and what you can extend is your permission to stay.

No visa can be extended!

You could be right, but that is so .... technical and I think when you go to Immigration and say I want to extend my permission to stay I think they will look at you like ????

30 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Good one -  with keyboard brevity.

Extending the permission to stay granted by a visa will reset the clock, extending the permission to stay granted on a previous extension will not.

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You could be right, but that is so .... technical and I think when you go to Immigration and say I want to extend my permission to stay I think they will look at you like ????

???? Immigration will even refer to an extension as a "visa".... we are doomed.

The correct terms do usually avoid any confusion......maybe!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

No visa can be extended!

Quite right. 

However it is quite valid to refer to a "visa extension", effectively as an abreviation, as the extension of the permission to stay refers to a particular visa.

Single entry visas become invalid on entry but they are not cancelled, they remain on your travel history.

In order to obtain a visitor visa for the UK my wife has to list previous visas.