Exempt visa entry to Non O retirement + 1 extension

I am sure it has already been asked but can't find it so here my question.

I am French, 55 years old.

I am actually working in Vietnam (since 2020). I also live in Phuket (20+ years). I am travelling a lot with SE Asia for work and I am back to Phuket at least 2 times per month.

I have no issue to enter many time in Thailand on visa exempt because i am always doing short trip and justify easily my short trip (working in Vietnam/ family in Thailand).

I would like to proceed with a visa Non O based on retirement, then extension with multi re-entry permit.

I was considering obtaining the Non O in HCM where i work and then get the extension when i am back to Phuket.

The problem: I need appointment for the Thai consulate in HCM but it is difficult to make it happen with my working schedule. When I am back to Phuket for short trip, it is weekend so immigration is closed.

I will have 2 weeks free time in Phuket next month and i am thinking to use this opportunity to proceed with the retirement extension. But the first appointment available in the Thai consulate in HCM is end of March which is too late for me.

I am considering then to enter on Visa exempt and convert to Non O then proceed the extension (and re-entry permit.

I believe i meet all requirements:

- 800k in a Thai bank account for me than... 3 or 6 or 12...months (I checked with my bank branch 2 weeks ago and they can proceed to issue bank statments as required by immigration within 2 hours)

- more than 50 years old

- address registered in Phuket

- not sure if it is required but i have Thai insurance valid covering Covid with coverage up 5MTHB

So, if I prepare that plus the usual passport copies, entry stamps... will it work and how will it take?

I will return to Vietnam after these 2 weeks in Phuket.

I also have a Thai/French son but he is 24 years old now. We live together

Thanks

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

I will return to Vietnam after these 2 weeks in Phuket.

You have covered the requirements in your post.

Your time frame is ambitious.

You can apply for the non O retirement as soon as you enter Thailand.

That gives a 90 day stamp.

Since your funds are already seasoned you could try and apply for extension.

Normally that would be done 30/45 days prior to expiry of the 90 day stamp.

Thinking immigration will accommodate your request.

Explain and also show your flight to Vietnam. 

Fall back plan would be to meet the financial requirements as you outline and deal with agent to expedite the process. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Fall back plan would be to meet the financial requirements as you outline and deal with agent to expedite the process. 

When applying for the O, Immigration will have you come back at a latter date to get your stamp, just did mine back in September thinking it was either one month or two weeks, this could be a problem for the OP as he only stays in Thailand for a short time, I think agent would be his only safe route

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I entered visa exempt and did the conversion to Non-O and then retirement extension.  I recall it took a bit over two weeks at the Jomtien immigration and this was in June while things were quiet with few visitors in town.  Your two week stay may be insufficient to do the Non-O conversion and the retirement extension will take some additional time although maybe only a day or two.  If your immigration office is busy things may take longer at present.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. So the visa conversion can't be done at the same time as the extension.

I am ok to go through agent to do it for me as my time is counted. Of course it will cost me more but i will pay a service. I really hate going to the immigration office. It is always crownded and you spend your day waiting. I was in Phuket immigration office about 2 week ago to the "certificate of residence" for the renewal of my driving license and I spent half day there only waiting. I am not blaming them, they are busy. Just that i would prefer someone to do it for me.

I don't know any agent. I contacted one last night that i found on google. He replied to me that the visa conversion will take 3 to 5 days. And once I have the non O, i will have to proceed the extension 90 days later (at the end of the Non O). This doesn't help much.

I will be in Phuket tomorrow (I am in HCM now) until Sunday. I might try to ask how long would take to do the conversion. I might consider to do in 2 steps (visa conversion first - re-entry permit and later the extension)as the agent said

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Qman said:

I entered visa exempt and did the conversion to Non-O and then retirement extension.  I recall it took a bit over two weeks at the Jomtien immigration and this was in June while things were quiet with few visitors in town.  Your two week stay may be insufficient to do the Non-O conversion and the retirement extension will take some additional time although maybe only a day or two.  If your immigration office is busy things may take longer at present.

Thanks. Phuket immigration is very busy now. I was there 2 weeks ago

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Dear Dr Jack54, 2 more questions:

1/ when you apply for a Non O based on retirement at consulate / embassy, do they require the bank statements showing the mini balance requirements for the last xx months or this is only for the extensiob application of the extension in Thailand?

2/ i am focussing on HCM Thai consulate because I am based here for my work. It is difficult for me to schedule an appoitment with them for the visa application. Do you know if appointment is required also in Hanoi and Phnom Penh Thai consulate / embassy?

My point is that as said in my original post, no issue for me for the requirements for retirement. I can get bank statements in my bank tomorrow for example as i will be in Phuket and keep with me until i get a chance to go to an Embassy.

I am based in HCM but travelling a lot, especially to Hanoi and Phnom Penh. I am focussing on Vietnam to apply a Non O because I am resident here, have a work permit, labor contract, local ban accounts... so it would make sense to the Embassy to aply in VN. But if it is easier in Hanoi or Phnom Penh, no appointment required... I can get it done there during my business trips if it match my timeline. Then i will only proceed the extension later when i am in Thailand

11 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Blue tree isn't, was in there tuesday  ????
and if you want avoid the crowds, get a appt>
https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=19960

arrive on a visa exempt, go to immigration next day , apply for an get the non o valid for 90 days, get a re entry permit,

go where you want to go an when u return after a month or so apply for the 1 year extension 
OR use an agent

Oh thanks! I don't know blue tree. I will check then.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Blue tree isn't, was in there tuesday  ????
and if you want avoid the crowds, get a appt>
https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=19960

arrive on a visa exempt, go to immigration next day , apply for an get the non o valid for 90 days, get a re entry permit,

go where you want to go an when u return after a month or so apply for the 1 year extension 
OR use an agent

The application the OP wishes to make can only be done in Phuket Town Immigration (main office), it cannot be done at a satellite convenience office like Blue Tree or Patong which only really deal with short-term extensions, 90-Day Reports, and Certificates of Residence.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Hi DJ, I didn't know that you could apply for a Non O Retirement Visa while in Thailand? I thought you could only do it from another country. So, why are foreigners, already in this country, going to Savanakhet to get a Visa. I'll admit, I'm a little confused by it all.

11 minutes ago, skatewash said:

You can apply for a Non O Retirement Visa from Thai Immigration office in Thailand if you arrive either visa-exempt or with a Tourist Visa.  There are financial requirements that must be met.  Possibly there are easier financial requirements for getting a visa in a place like Savanakhet.

Thanks, briefly what are the financial requirements? I am aware of the requirements for an extension, ie, 800,000 baht in bank seasoned for 2 or 3 months and the 60,000 baht per month rule.

2 minutes ago, Coota said:

Thanks, briefly what are the financial requirements? I am aware of the requirements for an extension, ie, 800,000 baht in bank seasoned for 2 or 3 months and the 60,000 baht per month rule.

These are the requirements for applying for a Non-O Visa from Phuket Immigration:

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/changing-visa-visa-exempt-to-local-non-o-visa-for-retirement/

Not sure what requirements are in effect at Savanakhet.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The application the OP wishes to make can only be done in Phuket Town Immigration (main office), it cannot be done at a satellite convenience office like Blue Tree or Patong which only really deal with short-term extensions, 90-Day Reports, and Certificates of Residence.

+ tm 30  and the link i provided allows you to book an appt for PHUKET town as well

FYI; for the Thai Embassy in Cambodia ( for Laos it needs be in a Thai Bank)  to obtain a NON O visa you need show 800,000 in a bank account OR the equivalent in any account> 
Vietnam:  https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/page/cate-7425-announcement-|-thông-báo-mới-nhất-về-thị-thực?menu=5d80ab3215e39c2fe800a722

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Coota said:

Hi DJ, I didn't know that you could apply for a Non O Retirement Visa while in Thailand? I thought you could only do it from another country. So, why are foreigners, already in this country, going to Savanakhet to get a Visa. I'll admit, I'm a little confused by it all.

You need to be careful with the language being used as this is what creates the confusion. This statement is incorrect.

"I didn't know that you could apply for a Non O Retirement Visa while in Thailand?"

You cannot apply for a Non O visa, of any type, while in Thailand.

When you enter the country you have a visa status, if you still hold a valid visa would depend on the type of visa you originally had. If you had no visa then your visa status would be "exempt", or tourist visa if that was the case.

What you can do, is apply to immigration to change your visa status to Non O, which is a requirement to obtain a 12 month extension. I know the form says "Change of Visa" but this is the way immigration talk, no actual visa is issued. Visas come under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If you need to get a visa as such, it would need to be done outside the country. I lived here for the first 6 years on a visa, no need to go anywhere near immigration, not quite so easy these days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

+ tm 30  and the link i provided allows you to book an appt for PHUKET town as well

FYI; for the Thai Embassy in Cambodia ( for Laos it needs be in a Thai Bank)  to obtain a NON O visa you need show 800,000 in a bank account OR the equivalent in any account> 
Vietnam:  https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/page/cate-7425-announcement-|-thông-báo-mới-nhất-về-thị-thực?menu=5d80ab3215e39c2fe800a722

Thanks, I've never tried the appointment service for Phuket Immigration because I didn't know it existed.  I'll give it a try for my next retirement extension.  Although my experience has been that I rarely have to wait long outside Room 103 to be called in to get my retirement extension done.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

What you can do, is apply to immigration to change your visa status to Non O, which is a requirement to obtain a 12 month extension. I know the form says "Change of Visa" but this is the way immigration talk, no actual visa is issued. Visas come under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You're wrong about that. Immigration does issue a non-immigrant visa, it is stamped into the passport and immediately used for a non-immigrant visa entry.

You can't obtain a non-immigrant visa entry without having a non-immigrant visa, neither at a border nor at a local immigration office. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, skatewash said:

These are the requirements for applying for a Non-O Visa from Phuket Immigration:

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/changing-visa-visa-exempt-to-local-non-o-visa-for-retirement/

Not sure what requirements are in effect at Savanakhet.

Thanks. Your link was very useful for me as I can see exactly the requirement for the conversion from visa exempt to Non O.

As I meet all requirements, i will follow the advise of Dr. Jack and proceed the conversion when i will come next month for 2 weeks. I will try and ask if they can proceed the extension at the same time. If not, i will do the extension later and exit with a re-entry permit.

Is it easier to buy the re-entry directly a immigration or at the airport?

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

But the link you provided is for HCM consulate, not phuket immigration

5 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Is it easier to buy the re-entry directly a immigration or at the airport?

Some folk prefer to do it at immigration.

It's also bullet proof at airport.

At BKK airport you obtain the reentry permit after security check and prior to immigration.

Zone 2 office left hand side.

They provide service to fill in TM8 and photo etc for 200baht if you want 

At DMK the reentry permit office is just other side of immigration. 

Quick easy process 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some folk prefer to do it at immigration.

It's also bullet proof at airport.

At BKK airport you obtain the reentry permit after security check and prior to immigration.

Zone 2 office left hand side.

They provide service to fill in TM8 and photo etc for 200baht if you want 

At DMK the reentry permit office is just other side of immigration. 

Quick easy process 

There are doing it in Phuket airport?

5 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Having entered Thailand Visa-Exempt and then applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at the local Immigration Office of the Province where you are residing, is a relatively simple process. 

And from what you wrote you will meet all the requirements, i.e.: 

- Your passport, with at moment of application at least 15 days left on the Permission to stay date that was stamped into your passport when you entered Thailand;

- Proof of the address where you are residing and which needs to be in the Province where you do the application (this will become your 'official address' for Immigration purposes)

- A recent Bank Statement confirming that you have a personal Thai Bank-Account, and a statement by the Bank that the Account has at least 800.000 THB at the moment of application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (bringing your updated Pass-book with you confirming the latter is also advised)

- Two recent pass-photos in correct format

That's basically it, and there is NO need for any health-insurance policy when applying for the Non Imm O Visa, or later for extending it.

= = = = =

But from what you wrote there is one PRACTICAL issue, being that you have a routine of being max 2 weeks in the country and then will be leaving again.

The issue here being that your 90-day Non Imm O Visa application needs to be approved by Divisional Headquarters and that can take 2 weeks. 

So if you apply on the first day that you re-entered Thailand, and all your documents are OK and approved by the Phuket Imm Office, they will provide you with a Note stapled in your passport when to come back to get the actual Non Imm O Visa and 90-day Permission to stay stamped in your passport. 

So in your case that would be very close to the day of your departure again.  But if you explain to the Imm officer handling your application WHEN you would be leaving Thailand again, they would be able to mark it URGENT so that it gets 'fast-tracked' and that the Divisional Approval of your application is in your Phuket Imm Office's possession before your day of departure, so that you can come collect it before leaving Thailand again. 

= = = = =

NOTE that you would NOT be able to use an Agent to collect the 'approval' when you are abroad, as he will not have your passport.

And as the process is relatively simple (and you clearly did do your homework) there is actually no need for making use of an agent.  When it stresses you out and you absolutely dread to go to Immigration, you can engage an Agent for a 'hand-holding' service, which will consist of him checking beforehand whether your documents are correct and complete, and him going with you to the Imm Office and 'doing the talking'. 

= = = = =

Cheers and success!

Thanks for the details.

Yes, I am quite familiar with Thailand most processes. I am sure I can handle that without agent. However, as said, i really hate spending time at immigration office as it is always crowded, need to wait and be patient. I would be ready to pay the service of agent to do it on my behalf. But i can also make the effort if no other choice

20 hours ago, Caldera said:

You're wrong about that. Immigration does issue a non-immigrant visa, it is stamped into the passport and immediately used for a non-immigrant visa entry.

You are quite free to believe what you want but would advise against trying to enter the country with that stamp. Even immigration say you need a re-entry permit.

Bottom line, it is a paperwork exercise, you are not issued a valid visa.