Exempt visa entry to Non O retirement + 1 extension

On 2/12/2023 at 7:02 AM, jphasia said:

Thanks. Yesterday, i stopped to brain storm as it is clear now that trying to get Non O + extension in 2 weeks is more than challenging.

I booked the first appointment available at the time consulate in HCM which is 20 March. It fall right during 2 weeks i was suppose to be in Phuket (13 March to 30 March) but that's ok, I will do a short trip to HCM during that period to get the visa. I have an apartment in HCM so not big deal after all.

I am not sure what the Thai consulate request for the application. I checked their website but they mention either Non O for volunteer, for spouse or accompany family or Non O-A.

It sounds that i actually eligible for the Non O-A. I don't know the difference between O and O-A. Except that O-A is 1 year. I have all financial they want, insurance...

Yesterday, I went to the bank here in Phuket and asked them to issue 6 months bank statements and a certify letter for the immigration. I got it in 20 minutes. If it is too early for my appointment on 20 March, i will just request another set the day before i fly back to HCM for my appointment on 20 March.

I think afterall, that the best solution for me.

Just an update for whom are interested.

As mentioned above, i booked an appointment in the Thai consulate at HCM for 20 March (the earliest available). However, last week I checked Hanoi consulate and got an appointment for last Monday 20 Feb.

I then came to Hanoi last Monday (I have an office there as well) and applied for the Non O based on retirement.

They are not really friendly and wheb I explained my situation, why I travelling a lot between Vietnam and Thailand, they asked me:

-6 months bank statements

-A letter from my son stating that we are leaving together and he support me.

- copy of the house blue book

- copy of my VN residence card (TRC).

As I had all with me, I applied.

They told me it will take 3 full working days.

Cost is 80 USD.

Yesterday, I got an email from the consulate informing me that the visa was ready. I will collect it this morning.

So, the Non O is settle now. Next step will be the 1 year extension in Thailand. I was told that i need to wait at least 45 days before applying for the extension.

On my next trip to Thailand, I will apply for the re-entry permit before coming back to VN.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jphasia said:

I then came to Hanoi last Monday (I have an office there as well) and applied for the Non O based on retirement.

They are not really friendly and wheb I explained my situation, why I travelling a lot between Vietnam and Thailand, they asked me:

-6 months bank statements

-A letter from my son stating that we are leaving together and he support me.

- copy of the house blue book

- copy of my VN residence card (TRC).

Thanks for your update, I'm sure that it will be helpful for others, especially those considering applying in Hanoi.

Another recent report from Hanoi, albeit for a tourist visa application, also portrays them as rather unfriendly (and unreasonable with regards to their requirements) nowadays.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 12:03 PM, Caldera said:

Thanks for your update, I'm sure that it will be helpful for others, especially those considering applying in Hanoi.

Another recent report from Hanoi, albeit for a tourist visa application, also portrays them as rather unfriendly (and unreasonable with regards to their requirements) nowadays.

Just for the record, my request for the Non O application was based on retirement. However, when I called the Embassy before the appointment to enquire the supoorting documents required, explainig that I am 55 years old, working in Vietnam but travelling to Thailand. They first told me apply for a tourist visa...but asked me why i was travelling so much to Thailand...I said that my family was Thai. They said you can apply for marriage Non O... i said I am not married but have a 24 years old Thai son. They asked to provide copy of house blue book and a letter from my son certifying that we are living together with a copy of his Thai ID card...

I just found out that on the Non O that I got, it is written by hand in Thai " visiting Thai child" with the name of my son written.

I will still apply for the one year extension based on retirement when i will be in Thailand

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, jphasia said:

Just for the record, my request for the Non O application was based on retirement. However, when I called the Embassy before the appointment to enquire the supoorting documents required, explainig that I am 55 years old, working in Vietnam but travelling to Thailand. They first told me apply for a tourist visa...but asked me why i was travelling so much to Thailand...I said that my family was Thai. They said you can apply for marriage Non O... i said I am not married but have a 24 years old Thai son. They asked to provide copy of house blue book and a letter from my son certifying that we are living together with a copy of his Thai ID card...

I just found out that on the Non O that I got, it is written by hand in Thai " visiting Thai child" with the name of my son written.

I will still apply for the one year extension based on retirement when i will be in Thailand

Based on my post above, I managed to get a 90 days Non O from the Hanoi embassy. My target now is to go for the 1 year extension based on retirement. The 90 days Non O will expired on 7 June so I am planning to proceed the extension next week.

As mentioned earlier, I have all requirements for an extension based on retirement (55 years old, 800k in the bank...).

I have contacted an agent to support me for the extension application (as also stated, I have all requirements however, I am lazy to deal with immigration...). The agent quoted me 17,000b including multi re-entry permit. I believe it is fair. Again, don't tell that i could save money...doing it alone as I have all the requirements. This is my choice.

However, the agent found out that it is written by hand in Thai on my Non O "visiting Thai child" and the name of my son. He told then that it might not be possible in this case to apply for an extension based on retirement? Is it correct?

My point here is yes, I have a 24 years old Thai son. He is also the owner (on the blue book) of the house where we are living together. What would be the issue if I visit my son, live with him but also have the requirements for retirement extension. 

What they might ask me more in this case? 

12 minutes ago, jphasia said:

However, the agent found out that it is written by hand in Thai on my Non O "visiting Thai child" and the name of my son. He told then that it might not be possible in this case to apply for an extension based on retirement? Is it correct?

My vote is that is correct.

You could changed to based on retirement from Thai child in the future, however for your first extension you would need to base extension on Thai child. 

If this is incorrect no doubt others will fix that advice up.

Not sure why you bothered with Vietnam.

You could have entered visa exempt and obtained non O retirement and subsequent extension. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My vote is that is correct.

You could changed to based on retirement from Thai child in the future, however for your first extension you would need to base extension on Thai child. 

If this is incorrect no doubt others will fix that advice up.

Not sure why you bothered with Vietnam.

You could have entered visa exempt and obtained non O retirement and subsequent extension. 

Thanks.

But what will be the requirements for the extension based on child?

About Hanoi, the reason is because i work in Vietnam and coming back to Thailand mosly the weekend. So it was not convenient to get the Non O from the visa exempt due to short time in Thailand.

I believe you will be able to get a retirement extension of stay based on your Non-O visa as you say you meet all the requirements for that.  I do not believe that you will be able to get an extension of stay based on being the father of a Thai child due to the age of your child (24).  See the requirements for issuing that sort of Non-O visa from the Thai embassy in Sweden (https://oslo.thaiembassy.org/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-family-of-a-thai-national?menu=60bf6ada34d70606715b2542), emphasis added.

Non-Immigrant O

Visiting family

Family of a Thai national (Immediate family includes spouse and children)

Ordinary passport holders wishing to stay with a family who is a Thai national in the following circumstances can apply for the Non-Immigrant type O Visa.
  • ● Spouse of a Thai national
  • Children of a Thai national (age must be under 20 years old unless they are unable to support themselves due to mental or physical condition)
  • ● Legally adopted child of a Thai national (age must be under 20 years old unless they are unable to support themselves due to a mental or physical condition)
  • ● Parent of a Thai national Applicant has no age restriction in case that the child is under 20 years old. Applicant has no age restriction in case that the child is under 20 years old.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I believe you will be able to get a retirement extension of stay based on your Non-O visa as you say you meet all the requirements for that.  I do not believe that you will be able to get an extension of stay based on being the father of a Thai child due to the age of your child (24).  See the requirements for issuing that sort of Non-O visa from the Thai embassy in Sweden (https://oslo.thaiembassy.org/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-family-of-a-thai-national?menu=60bf6ada34d70606715b2542), emphasis added.

Non-Immigrant O

Visiting family

Family of a Thai national (Immediate family includes spouse and children)

Ordinary passport holders wishing to stay with a family who is a Thai national in the following circumstances can apply for the Non-Immigrant type O Visa.
  • ● Spouse of a Thai national
  • Children of a Thai national (age must be under 20 years old unless they are unable to support themselves due to mental or physical condition)
  • ● Legally adopted child of a Thai national (age must be under 20 years old unless they are unable to support themselves due to a mental or physical condition)
  • ● Parent of a Thai national Applicant has no age restriction in case that the child is under 20 years old. Applicant has no age restriction in case that the child is under 20 years old.

Thanks. That also what i inderstood. Child must be under 20 years old.

I don't understand why the Hanoi Embassy wrote that in my visa. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Thanks. That also what i inderstood. Child must be under 20 years old.

I don't understand why the Hanoi Embassy wrote that in my visa. 

A mistake, I'm guessing.  I would confirm your plans with your local immigration office, asking specifically what are their requirements for issuing you with an extension of stay in your particular circumstances.  Only that answer will be determinative, the requirement I posted from the Thai embassy in Sweden is only indicative.  In any event I think you will be able to get the extension of stay with what you have.  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jphasia said:

For those who might be interested:

Following my posts above, i went to the immigration office (Phuket) alone yesterday (1st May) and submitted my application for 1 year extension based on retirement (despite what the agent told me) and i has been approved today.

I collected back my passport today with an extension until 7 June 2024 (so from the end of the 90 days Non O validity). I did a the same time a multi re-entry permit. The extension process took 15 minutes.  It cost me 1,900b (extension) + 3,800b (multi re-entry).

Thought immigration were closed on Public/Bank holidays....????