Exempt visa entry to Non O retirement + 1 extension

18 hours ago, zzzzz said:

wanna bet>
i came in on a visa exempt entry and got a non o visa

Visa Dec 2022 Trang.jpg

No you didn't, the visa could never be used, it was invalidated the moment you got it.

It was a paperwork exercise to convert your visa status from "exempt" to "Non-O".

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are quite free to believe what you want but would advise against trying to enter the country with that stamp. Even immigration say you need a re-entry permit.

Bottom line, it is a paperwork exercise, you are not issued a valid visa.

??? i gave u a pic of my NON O visa issued in Trang ( which is in Thailand) yet still you claim it cant be done>
some people just cant face the fact they are wrong

and what does a re entry permit have to do with anything discussed here??

No you didn't, the visa could never be used, it was invalidated the moment you got it.

of course i used it   ???? and got stamped in for 3 months

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Back in October last year, in Phuket, I applied for a 90 day Type-O Visa on 18 October.  I didn't obtain the Visa until 7 December. All my paperwork was in order. It's just took time. Phuket immigration are very busy. 

I don't believe you will be successful  in two weeks.

I doubt even an agent can do such in that timeframe in Phuket.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Back in October last year, in Phuket, I applied for a 90 day Type-O Visa on 18 October.  I didn't obtain the Visa until 7 December. All my paperwork was in order. It's just took time. Phuket immigration are very busy. 

I don't believe you will be successful  in two weeks.

I doubt even an agent can do such in that timeframe in Phuket.

Thanks. I also doubt now that 2 weeks will be enough. I also asked some agents and none of them can confirm it

I came to Phuket yesterday. This time, at the immigration, i have warned by the immigration officer. She was nice and polite. I explained her my situation, working in Vietnam and having my family here. She told me that in the fact there are no chance to be denied entry but i will face more and more questions at the airport due to all my short trips. I can speak Thai so I believe that help because she really understood my problem. She advised me to manage my time to do the Non O and extension.

I was expecting that to happen actually. No surprise for me.

I think my best option remain to get a non O outside Thailand, either in HCM, Hanoi or Phnom Penh where I am frequently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

I think my best option remain to get a non O outside Thailand, either in HCM, Hanoi or Phnom Penh where I am frequently.

A benefit of using Phnom Penh might be that you don't need an appointment and would be able to use an agent there. But you'd need to check if they issue non-immigrant visas to foreigners not resident in Cambodia. Their processing time also tends to be long. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Caldera said:

Which part of "immediately used" did you not understand? The immigration office issues you a non-immigrant visa, immediately stamps it "used" and stamps a non-immigrant visa entry stamp into your passport.

If you need to leave and re-enter, you need a re-entry permit, and they actually put another stamp in to advise you of that.

If you want to believe you were given a valid visa, feel free.

I think BBC has an opening for those that can arrive before leaving.

22 hours ago, zzzzz said:

of course i used it   ???? and got stamped in for 3 months

Do you really think you can get a valid entry stamp without leaving the country?

On the international database you will have entered visa exempt, there will be no visa entry, all a paperwork exercise.

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

A benefit of using Phnom Penh might be that you don't need an appointment and would be able to use an agent there. But you'd need to check if they issue non-immigrant visas to foreigners not resident in Cambodia. Their processing time also tends to be long. 

Yes, at least in Vietnam, i am resident with work permit, local labor contract and TRC. 

Two weeks is completely insufficient to get a "conversion" Non O visa plus extension, whether you use an agent or not. The "under consideration" period for the visa will be at least two weeks, probably longer, and the duration cannot even be guaranteed.

If you already have a Non O visa, an agent may be able to get the one-year extension plus re-entry permit the same day if the agent has the right contacts. Thus, you could give the agent the passport with your 90-day permission to stay from entry with the visa at 8:00 am Monday morning, receiving your passport back with the on-year extension by 4:00 pm. It is more likely that this will be possible if you have informed the agent well ahead of time, allowing the agent to make an appointment in advance with his friendly official.

My suggestion is to (i) look for a suitable agent, confirming their ability to do what I outline, but without yet fixing dates; (ii) make an appointment to get the Non O visa in HCMC, and get the visa; and (iii) fix with the agent a Monday within 90 days of the visa being issued when you will be available to give him the passport either early Monday or over the weekend, receiving the passport with the extension by 4:00 pm Monday, and planning to take an evening flight back to HCMC.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

On the international database you will have entered visa exempt, there will be no visa entry, all a paperwork exercise.

Stop misleading posts.

Folk obtaining a non O from visa exempt or tourist visa entry have a non O and 90 day stamp accordingly.

They can then obtain subsequent ongoing 12 month extensions. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Two weeks is completely insufficient to get a "conversion" Non O visa plus extension, whether you use an agent or not. The "under consideration" period for the visa will be at least two weeks, probably longer, and the duration cannot even be guaranteed.

If you already have a Non O visa, an agent may be able to get the one-year extension plus re-entry permit the same day if the agent has the right contacts. Thus, you could give the agent the passport with your 90-day permission to stay from entry with the visa at 8:00 am Monday morning, receiving your passport back with the on-year extension by 4:00 pm. It is more likely that this will be possible if you have informed the agent well ahead of time, allowing the agent to make an appointment in advance with his friendly official.

My suggestion is to (i) look for a suitable agent, confirming their ability to do what I outline, but without yet fixing dates; (ii) make an appointment to get the Non O visa in HCMC, and get the visa; and (iii) fix with the agent a Monday within 90 days of the visa being issued when you will be available to give him the passport either early Monday or over the weekend, receiving the passport with the extension by 4:00 pm Monday, and planning to take an evening flight back to HCMC.

Thanks. Yesterday, i stopped to brain storm as it is clear now that trying to get Non O + extension in 2 weeks is more than challenging.

I booked the first appointment available at the time consulate in HCM which is 20 March. It fall right during 2 weeks i was suppose to be in Phuket (13 March to 30 March) but that's ok, I will do a short trip to HCM during that period to get the visa. I have an apartment in HCM so not big deal after all.

I am not sure what the Thai consulate request for the application. I checked their website but they mention either Non O for volunteer, for spouse or accompany family or Non O-A.

It sounds that i actually eligible for the Non O-A. I don't know the difference between O and O-A. Except that O-A is 1 year. I have all financial they want, insurance...

Yesterday, I went to the bank here in Phuket and asked them to issue 6 months bank statements and a certify letter for the immigration. I got it in 20 minutes. If it is too early for my appointment on 20 March, i will just request another set the day before i fly back to HCM for my appointment on 20 March.

I think afterall, that the best solution for me.

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Stay away from the Non O-A visa! I think @ubonjoewill be able to list the requirements for a Non O visa (retirement) in HCMC.

It is no longer shown on their website. 

https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/page/cate-7425-announcement-|-thông-báo-mới-nhất-về-thị-thực?menu=5d80ab3215e39c2fe800a722

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks. I got that but they mention only Non O for accompanying thai spouse and family member. I don't see specifically for retirement.

I guess it would be basically the same except marriage certificate. I am not married (divorced). My son is 24 years old now. I always have with a copy of his Thai birth certificate, his Thai ID card, copy of the house blue book (my son is the official owner of the house where we live). 

As mention earlier, I am not about the finance evidences required but i will have 6 months bank statements + letter from Thai bank and additionally 6 months bank statements from Vietnam account where my salary is paid (in USD)

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Requires ongoing insurance for extensions based on retirement.

Ah ok. Actually not really an issue for me as I keep my insurance on yearly basis since 1999. I am with Aetna Thailand with a 5MTHB policy. I am not consodering to drop this insurance anytime soon

Don't know if this has been mentioned, as I haven't read the whole thread, but something else to consider seeing you are travelling a lot: Will they give your visa or extension straight away?

I renewed my extension last month here in Samui and was told to return to collect my passport eight days later.

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned, as I haven't read the whole thread, but something else to consider seeing you are travelling a lot: Will they give your visa or extension straight away?

I renewed my extension last month here in Samui and was told to return to collect my passport eight days later.

Yes that's why in my latest post, I mentioned that i give up the idea of getting Non O + extension during my short stay next month (2 weeks) and i will proceed with Non O first in Thai consulate in Vietnam, get a re-entry permit and proceed the extension later during the 90 days (I think it is minimum 15 days before the expiration of the Non O). However, I was told few times that the extension can be done the same day or maybe the next day.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Stop misleading posts.

Folk obtaining a non O from visa exempt or tourist visa entry have a non O and 90 day stamp accordingly.

They can then obtain subsequent ongoing 12 month extensions. 

It is quite straightforward. Immigration do not issue visas, visas are used to enter a country and you cannot enter if you are already there.

It is nothing more than a paperwork exercise to convert a visa status from "exempt" or "tourist" to "Non O" status to facilitate a 12 month extension.

In case you didn't notice, Thailand stopped using a stamp for visas a long time ago.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is quite straightforward. Immigration do not issue visas, visas are used to enter a country and you cannot enter if you are already there.

It is nothing more than a paperwork exercise to convert a visa status from "exempt" or "tourist" to "Non O" status to facilitate a 12 month extension.

In case you didn't notice, Thailand stopped using a stamp for visas a long time ago.

As a matter of interest, what do you think is the purpose of the TM87 form titled "APPLICATION FOR VISA"? What do you think that stamp with "NON IMMIGRANT VISA" at the top placed in my passport (immediately opposite a 90-day permission to stay stamp) at Bangkok immigration signifies?

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Again.

You have no idea what you are posting about hence on ignore

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

As a matter of interest, what do you think is the purpose of the TM87 form titled "APPLICATION FOR VISA"? What do you think that stamp with "NON IMMIGRANT VISA" at the top placed in my passport (immediately opposite a 90-day permission to stay stamp) at Bangkok immigration signifies?

The narrow minded views are quite unbelievable. You do not want to acknowledge that English is not the first language of the Thai IO and prefer to believe all text should be taken literally.

When you enter the country, any visa held is superceded by visa status. The function of  Immigration is to monitor and manage visa status. The TM87 is an application to change visa status from "exempt" to Non O, and TM86 from "Tourist" to Non O. Your so called "visa" is nothing more than domestic housekeeping for the change in status. Most of the confusion arises because people use the word "visa" as an adjective from "visa status" alongside it's use as a noun.

A proper visa(noun) is issued outside the country and, for Thailand, have been a sticker in your passport for at least a decade, with some now an E-visa.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The narrow minded views are quite unbelievable. You do not want to acknowledge that English is not the first language of the Thai IO and prefer to believe all text should be taken literally.

When you enter the country, any visa held is superceded by visa status. The function of  Immigration is to monitor and manage visa status. The TM87 is an application to change visa status from "exempt" to Non O, and TM86 from "Tourist" to Non O. Your so called "visa" is nothing more than domestic housekeeping for the change in status. Most of the confusion arises because people use the word "visa" as an adjective from "visa status" alongside it's use as a noun.

A proper visa(noun) is issued outside the country and, for Thailand, have been a sticker in your passport for at least a decade, with some now an E-visa.

Please, just stop, this is getting embarrassing....

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

BUT at the top of my NON O stamp is states  Non Immigrant VISA

Some people just wont see the facts

Visa Dec 2022 Trang.jpg

Obviously, just immigration not knowing what they are doing. "NON IMMIGRANT VISA" is a scrivener's error for "HOUSEKEEPING CHANGE OF PERMISSION TO STAY STAUS" and the fresh 90-day permission to stay accompanying the "status change" is an error by the official. As already pointed out, Immigration has shown their incompetence by misnaming the TM86 and TM87 forms and having two separate forms for "change of permission to stay status" depending on whether you previously entered on a tourist visa or a visa exemption. Non of us understand the system except him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1