Thai government to increase capacity in four airports – 200 M arrivals by 2031

snoop1130

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And it's got to keeps it's young female population employed.

And prepare them as the future brides for desperate foreigners rejected by their own kind and no place to live in their homeland except in Thailand with a "wify visa" or retirement visa.

Edited by Xanthe

8 hours ago, BritScot said:

These figures seem very strange and way off what I've seen: example the uk in 2019 had 40.9 million visitors a little bit more than 11 million. France 90 million, Poland 35 million. USA 70 million a little higher than 45 million...

Those are total arrivals. May also include transit, and most certainly includes my 4 trips to the US last year. Not indicative of true tourist arrivals. 

15 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It would be nice if all these tourist had something to do when they arrive. Like things that are different here than back at home. A reason to come here? Bad roads and air pollution and rip-offs need to change first.

Go Go dancing by nude women .... and temples.... of course ! 

6 hours ago, Xanthe said:

desperate foreigners rejected by their own kind

Just arrived back "home" from Thailand for a little while and judging by what I see every time I do I would think it's more a case of "no thanks... I'll go to Thailand for my sins .... or sinning " 

I just checked the highest figures recorded.

Maybe I misread the numbers (?) but it seemed to say to me under 40 million was the highest total .... ever!

200 million sounds like someones smoking way too much of the green goddess lol ????????????

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Maybe I misread the numbers (?) but it seemed to say to me under 40 million was the highest total .... ever!

200 million sounds like someones smoking way too much of the green goddess lol ????????????

If all the girls in Pattaya go on a diet there's a chance that might attract an extra 100 million or so... "if you build it ... they will "come"."

20 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It would be nice if all these tourist had something to do when they arrive. Like things that are different here than back at home. A reason to come here? Bad roads and air pollution and rip-offs need to change first.

Well the tourists have plenty of options in that category if they choose to avail themselves of them. After extended periods of working in Saudi I certainly found things different from whence I came, and enjoyed them. 

On 2/9/2023 at 11:30 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

You beat me to it.  They are gonna try cramming 5 kilo of sh!t into a 2 kilo sack.

It is actually a HUGE consideration for me to fly only business class any more. I don't fly frequently so when I do, I don't want to do combat at the passport control booths. 

That means you are paying a lot of money because they wont do their jobs. Send them a bill ! 

On 2/10/2023 at 4:42 AM, edogthong said:

Reminds me of that African tribe that built landing strips in the dessert with hopes of attracting  big metal birds carrying food, just like they've seen the white man do.

I believe you're thinking of post WW2 Melanesian cargo cults, they hoped by lighting fires at now abandoned US air bases they could get cargo to fall by parachute from the skies.

Thai government to increase capacity in four airports – 200 M arrivals by 2031

Well, unless the World Economic Forum and it's billionaire buddies have their way.  In that case you'll "own nothing, go nowhere further than 15 minutes from you 'home' (tent, card-board shack), and you'll be happy (or else). 

The WEF has different plans for the plebs then those countries who depend on tourism as a significant percentage of the GDP. 
By 2031, only those with private jets will be able to fly.  That will include corporate jets to shuttle the indentured servants to and fro to do corporate biddings. 

"You're a 'conspiracy theorist.'
Nope!  I'm just repeating exactly what they are promoting out in the open.  Read WEF members books and articles.  It's not a secret.

• Thanks 1

Most of the tourists have gone from here on Phuket already. That was a short 'high season'. My guess is they will dwindle in number in the future anyway as the island will be covered in concrete by then, the baht will keep strengthening against all currencies so long as 'the coup for the rich' enforcers are still in power (they will be) and prices continue to rise against continuing shoddy arrogant 'we Thai peopun' service. Once pleasant now awful place.

Edited by rabiedabruce
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

I tried to find any reference to an IATA prediction of 200 million arrivals in Thailand by 2031....... No surprise, but couldn't find it.

Are the Thais just making it up???

Yes, the Thais just made it up and said the IATA predicted that, they never thought they would get found out. Well done you!!

(I found it quite easily - actually predicting up to 258m by 2037)

On 2/10/2023 at 4:49 AM, terryofcrete said:

Just left BKK last night and the departure passport control queue was horrendous , due simply to the fact that there were only a few booths manned , while other immigration staff walked up and down watching and chatting to the few that were actually manning a booth . 
now add anther 300 bath on to the flight cost to line someone's pockets 

but certainly won't improve the service to tourism as is alleged. 

My friend flew Friday night also, 2 almost hours passport control, queuing right out the door

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-10 at 21.58.42.jpeg

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, madmitch said:

If tourism numbers double it'll be mostly from other Asian countries, particularly China and India. I would envisage when it reaches this stage it'll probably be off the radar of many European and Western tourists.

It is getting repulsive already. People from even more crowded and more polluted countries don't mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2023 at 3:56 AM, Tom H said:

200M. They all go to toilet. Hmmm…. Where does the waste water will flow? 

They want to bath, right?

No ploplem.

The country is going to need some solutions or it is going to become a huge dump.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2023 at 8:13 AM, Seppius said:

My friend flew Friday night also, 2 almost hours passport control, queuing right out the door

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-10 at 21.58.42.jpeg

As i said the ONLY reason for the mess was not enough staff on duty... Im sure there are more than enough staff , but where are they ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, rabang said:

The country is going to need some solutions or it is going to become a huge dump.

Well most tourists areas are already wafting in sewage drain smells and last week I could smell sewage from the SINK in my hotel bathroom ! 
Not to mention the state of the toilets in crowded bars and the proximity of the ONE mixed gender mini cubicle toilet located slap bang beside the kitchen in many restaurants.  

4 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Well most tourists areas are already wafting in sewage drain smells and last week I could smell sewage from the SINK in my hotel bathroom ! 
Not to mention the state of the toilets in crowded bars and the proximity of the ONE mixed gender mini cubicle toilet located slap bang beside the kitchen in many restaurants.  

Why do you come here if it is so disgusting and abhorrent? Genuine question.

(And maybe stay in a nicer hotel next time)

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Why do you come here if it is so disgusting and abhorrent? Genuine question.

(And maybe stay in a nicer hotel next time)

I have a non tourist interest. 

i have stayed in all classes of hotels in Thailand over many years . There are problems at all levels , but yes, if you pay more you are less likely to encounter difficulties, but I have only once had to have antibiotics intravenously administered in a clinic from food poisoning and that was contracted at  a 4 star hotel in Pattaya.  
It's not "disgusting and abhorrent", those are your words . I love it and spend at least 4 months a year in Thailand , but I recognise and identify its shortcomings and drawbacks. I didn't even mention dangerous or non existent pathways or crossing roads .... 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would pass along my experience arriving at Don Mueang today.

I hold a METV and was doing a border hop to Phnom Penh. Last time i did this back in December I was pulled aside by a IO Supervisor and asked a bunch of questions. So, I was a little worried and also wondered, with immigration being in the news for all the wrong reasons lately, what the mood would be?

Well, there were six booths fully staffed. There were staff showing people to the shortist line. There were extra IO's standing behind each booth in case of a problem. There were no angy glares (maybe just my imagination from previous entries), no questions, no flipping through every page of my passport. I got through there so fast it made my head spin. 555

In conclusion I would say the process can run quick and smooth .. IF THEY WANT TO MAKE THE EFFORT.

On 2/11/2023 at 5:13 AM, Tropposurfer said:

The 40 million was greeted with the usual chorus of sneers from TAT: TVF as well.

Then COVID came along and TAT: TVF completely reversed itself and accepted the 40 million as totally credible so they could enhance the drama, hysteria, and doomsterism about the death of the Thai economy and last of the last nails in the coffin. 

So what we think just depends on what fits our little narrative at the moment, has nothing to do with any real facts or evidence. It certainly turned out that tourism wasn't dead at all, and, no, all the tourists didn't shun Thailand ever after for those "much better" destinations we all know, heh heh. Note TAT: TVF only counts the white mongers from Western countries that occupy barstools.

Let's also keep in mind that the announcement of the construction of Suvarnabhumi was also greeeted with a chorus of sneers and jeers. Thailand Already Had One, and One's All That's Needed. The supposed growth in tourism would never support it. Our brown envelope bots swarmed and buzzed throughout.

I can't think of any of the countless doomster prophecies on the forum all these years that have actually ever come true. Maybe you can?

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, snoop1130 said:

Expansion of the U-Tapao International Airport in Rayong: This expansion will occur in four phases and will conclude in 2055, increasing the airport’s capacity to 60 million passengers per annum. The first phase is set to be completed in 2024 and will allow for 15.9 million passengers per annum.

2024 is next year.

Right now, U-Tapao serves maybe 500 passengers a day, maybe 200,000 a year.