Object over Northern Canada shot down, Trudeau says

Scott

image.png

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ordered the downing of a high altitude object over Canadian airspace on Saturday, he said in a tweet.

“I ordered the take down of an unidentified object that violated Canadian airspace. @NORADCommand shot down the object over the Yukon. Canadian and U.S. aircraft were scrambled, and a U.S. F-22 successfully fired at the object,” Trudeau said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/11/politics/norad-additional-object-northern-canada/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pegman said:

Yeah, kinda  like it wasn't smart for Nancy to go to Taiwan. Did Biden really think that wouldn't be responded to? 

I agree that she shouldn't have gone. She is a domestic political leader and should steer clear of most international policy- it ain't her bailiwick.  But there is nothing wrong with the principle of reinforcing the reality that Taiwan is an independent, sovereign nation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

I agree that she shouldn't have gone. She is a domestic political leader and should steer clear of most international policy- it ain't her bailiwick.  But there is nothing wrong with the principle of reinforcing the reality that Taiwan is an independent, sovereign nation.

Thats the question, does really Taiwan have sovereignty, or is it still part of China? 

Only 13 countries recognize Taiwan. 

China will never give up Thaiwan, we know that, so there will be great consequences trying to protect the the government there. Thaiwan have been part of China since 1683, why should they give it up? Why would they? 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

More countries used to recognize Taiwan until the PRC began to flex their muscles and forced them to make political choices.  China has already given up Taiwan but they just can't acknowledge it. The Taiwanese do not want to be part of the mainland, they loathe the CPC. 

We will see, and with more distractions from NK, Russia, Iran, a few Islam fractions, as well internal problems in Usa, we will know soon enough. 

Predictions of a war after the elections in 24 have been heard many times now, and also the csis war game with the outcomes of a war as well.

Not exactly a bright future we have ahead of us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/01/27/us-general-minihan-china-war-2025/

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/csis-simulation-offers-rare-look-us-china-taiwan-world-of-wargaming/

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I thought the USA had a one China policy?

• Like 1

A US F-22 stealth fighter jet has shot down an unidentified cylindrical object over Canada - the second incident of its type in as many days.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the latest shootdown had occurred over the mountainous and sparsely-populated territory of Yukon in the northwest.

Canada's Defence Minister Anita Anand would not speculate on where the object came from.

She described it as cylindrical in shape but said it was smaller than the Chinese balloon shot down off the coast of South Carolina in the US a week ago.

It was flying at 40,000ft and posed a risk to civilian air traffic when it was brought down about 100 miles from the border at 3.41pm EST (8.41pm GMT), she added.

• Thanks 1

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Cheaper????

And if damaged or hurt Canadian property and citizens, could blaim Usa Airforce?

My best guess, Americans shot it down without asking!? I just cant believe the proud Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau would let the Americans have the shot, unless the Canadians did not have proper arms with them.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pegman said:

A general in my city was in command of those NORAD jets. F-22's from Alaska & CF-18's from Cold Lake, Alberta.  Instructions given were that whichever plane had the best clear shot was to take it 

I just become aware of Norad and its purpose of command.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

How often has this repeated line "Independent sovereign nation " been used, it is not taken much notice of these days when countries believe it belongs to them.