Suvarnabhumi Improves Services Amid Thailand’s Tourism Rebound

webfact

58 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. One might wonder why services werent improved before this ?They are shockingly poor at times

A slow return to normality after the 2 year shut-down..

Many airports have the same issue with staffing levels after they were laid off during Covid.

• Like 2

A fully automated passport scanning system for citizens returning (you simply place your passport in the doc and away you go to claim your bags), and for permanent residents too would help, larger capacity luggage scanning (I heard from someone at Elite when we discussed the large queues recently seen as we made our way to our dedicated IO station) that they have too few of these by international standards and not enough staff to man them) and that the huge check-in and I.O. queues were due to staffing levels and slow (overloaded) I.T. systems mainly.

More automated electronic sniffing devices, more sniffer dogs, and maybe a better trained customs staff milling and observing amongst the passengers in the halls would relive some of the issues with returning folks at the least. As for the IO passport checks, it seems from my experience travelling for a log time that Thai I.O.'s are about the same as e.g. U.S., Aussie I.O.'s for non-citizens (strict examination of documents).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

The always, and quite a few, unmanned counters are largely for show. 

Guarantee that is the way it's been since Swampy opened for business in '06. 

Long queues have been a matter of course for ages.

Yes.

The restrooms at the Mo Chit bus station are 3 times the size of those at Swampy as well.

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I've been to many countries, but the time a Thai IO needs for one passport is one of the longest I experienced. Not sure, whether the computer system is slow, or whether the IOs just have a 'sabai sabai' attitude... Doesn't help with the notoriously long queues, of course, esp. as only half the counters are manned usually.

Never had an issue coming in, dozens of times. Those lines do suck though... worth having a kid just to go through the Thai lane lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PB172111 said:

Because, as in everywhere worldwide, there has been a staff shortage due to the epidemic. 

If they were laid off in 2020 as Covid raged, where did they go... all retired? I grasp replacements need some training and it takes time....

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it the poor English writing, or are the numbers all made up..................................

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Serving as the country’s main port of international arrivals, Suvarnabhumi Airport last month saw a total of 4.3 million passengers at an average of 138,287 daily passengers

ok, 138,000 passengers per day.................

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This expansion, which is in the process of selecting contractors, is expected to expand the processing capacity at passport control to 3,000 people per hour.

Now, in my book, at  3,000 per hour will take 45 hours to process the 138,000 daily passengers.....

Let's hope he means by another 3,000 extra................:tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Many countries do not bother with outward immigration checks, leaving the onus to the airline to report the names and passport numbers of departing passengers. I am sure there are ways to therefore streamline checks for outward passengers. One suggestion is not require photo and fingerprint if the immigration officer believes all papers to be legitimate? My 2 cents worth!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

to add 60 additional immigration counters at the airport’s passport control areas.

Will they stay unmanned too?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This expansion, which is in the process of selecting contractors

Will that meeting go ''OK, all here with contractors in the family please put your bids in now, brown envelopes only''

Two Kodak-moments:
September 1988, flight Rangoon-Bangkok (Don Meuang), 45 minutes, queue at Thai immigration 130 minutes. The seasoned traveller went for a leak prior to landing to avoid losing the place in the queue. 
January 2023, flight Udon Thani-Bangkok (Swampy), flight 42 minutes, queueing at the baggage carousel 70 minutes.

I hence assume that nothing has changed. If you don't wait at the immigration (like after a domestic flight) then they have you poking noses at the baggage belt ????

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob

Oh we have a transport Minister, what a shame he only ever blathers on about frigging airports, and does absolutely naff all about, (a) the pathetic driving 'test' (b) Highway police never doing road patrols. (c) stupid low fines and that stupid Point(less) system. Lets the deaths continue on HIS watch. Meh. :mad:

• Like 1

So it's back to normal?

Once I had to wait ~3 hours standing to get that entry stamp.

I have a French handicapped priority card (CMI Priorité) now.

Do they care about it there?

Edited by alexlm