Ealiest I can apply for first extension of a non-immigrant O retirement visa

Excuse the waffle below if it's not really relevant: the simple question I have is, can I apply for my first extension 15-21 days before my 'O' visa (retirement) expires? Thanks. 

I have a non-immigrant 'O' 3 month visa (retirement), which I obtained within Thailand, successfully converting from a visa exempt using a TM87. The initial 'O' visa expires on 8th March. I'd just like to check whether I can go to apply for an extension (one year) over the next week, 15-21 days before the expiraton date. My local office is in Chanthaburi. I'm not sure if all offices follow the same time windows for applications.

For the initial 'O' application, I had to submit all the docs. at the immigration office, and then go back 2 weeks later to get the decision and visa stamp in my passport. They obviously needed longer to process as there was a change in visa staus. I guess this time, the office can issue the extension on the same day I apply, assuming all the docs are in order. 

(I  had funds >800k in my Thai bank for 2.5 months prior to my initial non-imm 'o' application, so it is now over 5 months -well over the 3-month qualifying period. I've just added this in case it's of relevance).

Thanks a lot.

In Phuket, I applied and got mine exactly 45 days before the expiry date since I was traveling in the weeks before it was expiring. No questions asked about why I was doing it early.

They extended it by a year from the date is was to expire and I got my multiple re-entry that was also good until the new expiry date. 

• Thanks 1