2 Beers A Day Without Fail

Hi all, I would like some opinoins,

Is 2 beers everyday a problem?

It used to 6 and then with the new year a resolution was made to stop but instead was able to control 2 a day over a period of a few hours. So is a 2 beer a day habit alcoholic? Is it a problem?

There are no consequences besides the nagging from the miss.

Thanks

It used to 6 and then with the new year a resolution was made to stop but instead was able to control 2 a day over a period of a few hours. So is a 2 beer a day habit alcoholic? Is it a problem?

Thanks

One problem, not enough :o

Don't think so..

Normally outside of Thailand I prefer wine, but would not be able to stop until the bottle was empty.

Therefore I drink large beers here, which allows a little more control.

It really depends on whether you can stop altogether for a couple of days.

How big is your glass?

Last time i was home i drunk 9 large bottles of Chang in a 30 day period. A thai woman a couple of doors down saw me with a beer glass 2 days in a row and asked my wife if i had an alcohol problem!

2 beers a day (especially if you mean small ones) is certainly not a problem IMO.

OneEyedJohn makes an interesting point about having a "dry" day or two and seeing if that bothers you.

My typical consumption lately has been 3 or 4 large per day and I don't partake before 17.00.

A couple of weeks ago , after a hot and sweaty morning and early afternoon trekking around BKK , I started a little before the sun had approached the yardarm , exceeded my average and had a fair Changover the following morning as a reward. That day was a "no beer" day" and I have occasionally repeated the experiment since (a "no beer" day not the Changover).

I hope that means I don't have a problem but as I've only been drinking beer for 43 years maybe I might dvelop one in later life.

Good health Sir !

Hi All,

THanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Had a few sober weeks just to see if I could stop and it wasnt a problem....... my 2 a day are 2 small bottles........ I was just a bit concerned because it is everyday I like to enjoy a cool one!

No roblem unless missing a nght bothers you.....but you are drinking just within the safe dinking limits I would think, depemding on how strong the beer is.

I wish I could just dink 2 beers a day...once I start I cannot stop even if I start out with the intetion of having just one

It's all or nothing for me.

Enjoy your life, you obviously never get drunk so you can't cause any damage.

Two small beers a day doesn't even register a one on the Richter scale although the whinging anti drinking scrotes will try and tell you otherwise. Enjoy your beers and enjoy your life with a clear concience (sp?) and just ignore the raised eyebrow tw@ts who need to get a life.

In LOS I would usually have at least 3 big beers a day. Quite often more. Here in Oz i dont drink as much. But still was having about 5-6 small bottles which is about the same. So i cut down. Stopped drinking beer and have started drinking red wine. However this week. I had one glass of red on Monday and didnt have another drink till last night. Today and tomorrow i'll have a few. But Monday will go off it again. I read somewhere that if you have a few days off the booze in the week. Its good for the body and allows it to recover quicker. One thing i do take is either milk thistle tablets or in LOS you get something called Sessameen(sp). These help the liver recover.

This is just my opinion but it has been my experience that social drinkers do not need to count the number of drinks they consume. I would say that the majority of problem drinkers get periods where it seems they are in control. I am not saying that this is true in the OPs case.

Thanks

I used to drink 2 changs per day, which quickly rose to 20, then not remembering the previous few days (and on the advice of my doctor) I turned to wine. Two bottles per day didn't seem enough after a month so I moved to Johnny Walker. Went from Red to Black and then blue. Turned green after that and now I've sttled for a case of Lao Cao whch sms ok xcpt I tnd to mss vwls whn typng.

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite difficult to determine when alcoholism really starts.

I was at the pool yesterday and I saw a guy in his forty finishing 4 large bottles of Chang in approx. 3 hours. I felt sorry for him.

Personally I do enjoy a glass or two of wine and sometimes a beer or two, but I always try to connect it with a meal.

My experience in Spain and in Thailand, where the burning sun seems to have another impact on your alcohol consumption, has drawn me

to the conclusion to reduce alcohol as much as possible.

• 2 months later...

Thanks

I have drunk daily.for the last fifty plus years.Over the last ten years I never drink alcohol before about five in the evening and tg to limit to 2 0r 3 small cans of Leo type beer with the occasional G&t ,Although the 2 small cans sometimes becomes 2 large bottles.More than that and I begin to feel that I have drunk too much.The other dayI i drank 2 large bottles and a large pitcher.Felt like shit the next day and have now decided not to drink any alcohol for 2 couple of months.Hope that I can last but no craving after one week.

My advise 2 drinks daily OK and probably good for the health.

• 2 weeks later...
It is quite difficult to determine when alcoholism really starts.

I was at the pool yesterday and I saw a guy in his forty finishing 4 large bottles of Chang in approx. 3 hours. I felt sorry for him.

Personally I do enjoy a glass or two of wine and sometimes a beer or two, but I always try to connect it with a meal.

My experience in Spain and in Thailand, where the burning sun seems to have another impact on your alcohol consumption, has drawn me

to the conclusion to reduce alcohol as much as possible.

Why would you feel sorry for him ?

Maybe he is on holiday and just having a few beers and does not drink that much at home.

Why would 4 beers in the afternoon on his holiday make you feel sorry for him?

There was an interesting article in the Times of London on how the 'safe drinking limits' in the UK were established 20 years ago. They weren't. They were figures pulled out of a hat.

An excerpt:

"Seven years earlier, in 1993, a study of 12,000 middle-aged, male doctors led by Sir Richard Doll and a team at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, found that the lowest mortality rates – lower even than teetotallers – were among those drinking between 20 and 30 units of alcohol each week.The level of drinking that produced the same risk of death as that faced by a teetotaller was 63 units a week, or roughly a bottle of wine a day."

The full article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle2698024.ece

There was an interesting article in the Times of London on how the 'safe drinking limits' in the UK were established 20 years ago. They weren't. They were figures pulled out of a hat.

An excerpt:

"Seven years earlier, in 1993, a study of 12,000 middle-aged, male doctors led by Sir Richard Doll and a team at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, found that the lowest mortality rates – lower even than teetotallers – were among those drinking between 20 and 30 units of alcohol each week.The level of drinking that produced the same risk of death as that faced by a teetotaller was 63 units a week, or roughly a bottle of wine a day."

The full article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle2698024.ece

Interesting.

I'd like Sheryl's considered opinion.

Cheers

Pah! 2 beers a day, are you kidding my firend?

You are not event remotley close to becoming an alcoholic.

I average 8-10 small singha per evening. Never before 6pm in the week. Being English, i convert this to pints which gives me 4-5 pints per day. This is probably what your average bloke back in the UK would fire back whilst sitting in a pub reading the paper.

I have been drinking like this for close to 13/14 years. Im 34. I have a beer belly, but dont care a flying bugger.

I never drink spirits at home. I rarely drink spirits when im out. I dont like them. I love a beer. I do have rare nights off the beer.... maybe every couple of weeks ill have 2 nights off. This dosent bother me other than a slight 'umm, would love a beer now' feeling.

Im convinced its a British thing. Back home, its not unusual to go to the pub at lunchtime and see a couple of business people having a meeting over a few beers. Or a bricklayer/plumber/elctrician nipping into the pub for a couple pints (4 small cans) whilst having his lunch. This would be unusual anywhere else in the world. Beer for us Brits is just par for the course and ingrained in us.

I live up-country. The Chinese/Thai bloke at my local shop is intrigued by me. Just a few days ago i stacked up 10 cans on the counter and a guy infornt of me said 'getting mao tonight?' the shop owner laughed and said 'ha, he would need 20 of them to get mao'.

Conversley, give me half a bottle of wine or a few vodka tomics, and im pissed as a newt yet i could polish off 15 small singha and not miss a step.

No mate. You are not an alcoholic.

I average 8-10 small singha per evening. Never before 6pm in the week. Being English, i convert this to pints which gives me 4-5 pints per day. This is probably what your average bloke back in the UK would fire back whilst sitting in a pub reading the paper.

Remember in your equation that English beer sold in pints is usually a lot weaker than Singha.

Old Peculiar excepted.

Nothing wrong with a few drinks, I am from the same English drinking culture.

Cheers

as far as I knew is not only about the quantity of the alcohol, is also how often do u consume it. If u need to drink every day, then there is a problem. Alcoholism have different levels and stages, probably u are in a early stage, but doesn't mean that "there is no problem at all"

:o

Interesting.

Cheers

Well since you asked....

First of all, the problem with media reports on just about all scientific studies is that they don't understand the difference between correllation and causation. The fact that relatively high rates of death are found in one group of drinkers as opposed to another (or as opposed to non-drinkers) does not mean that the drinking (or non-drinking) is the cause of the higher mortality rate, only that there is some sort of association.

With respect to high mortality rates in non-drinkers my guess would be that the survey population were from a culture where at least occasional drinking is the norm; in such cultures a high proportion of tee-totalers are recovered/recovering alcoholics many of whom may damaged their livers considerably before stopping. There are other possible confounders as well but that seems to me the most likely. Certainly not drinking by itself is not a threat to health, but in a culture where drinking is the norm, non-drinkers by definition are unusual people and will have other traits/factors different from the norm which may influence health.

A study of non-drinkers vs drinkers done in a population with different norms (for example, in south Asia, where it is quite normal to never drink) would get very different results.

As to the original topic...I think Popcorn summed it up nicely. The disease of alcoholism is defined by the element of compulsion, of needing to drink. It is quite possible to be an alcoholic but only drink beer, or wine,; to drink only on evenings or weekends; and even to drink only a limited amount (altho that's less common) if one is unable to do without it.

While on the whole alcoholics are much more likely than non-alcoholics to drink in excessive amount, it is possible to not be an alcoholic and yet still be drinking more than is good for your health. As to what that amount is, as the article indicated there is no fixed magic number established by research. Also, individual factors weigh in...age, chronic health problems like diabetes, hepatitis B or C or other liver problems, kidney problems, etc. You folks know who you are....

And as one ages, all the body organs, including the liver, become less able to regenerate and tolerate abuse. The same amount of alcohol that you bounced right back from in your 20's may well do damage in your 50's.

I don't find that funny, Geronimo.

2 small bottles a day are about the limit, after that you are already damaging your liver, if you drink every day.

Is that correct? I always thought you could drink as much as your liver could safely digest without any significant increase of alcohol in the blood which works out to one glass per hour.

Interesting.

Cheers

Well since you asked....

First of all, the problem with media reports on just about all scientific studies is that they don't understand the difference between correllation and causation. The fact that relatively high rates of death are found in one group of drinkers as opposed to another (or as opposed to non-drinkers) does not mean that the drinking (or non-drinking) is the cause of the higher mortality rate, only that there is some sort of association.

With respect to high mortality rates in non-drinkers my guess would be that the survey population were from a culture where at least occasional drinking is the norm; in such cultures a high proportion of tee-totalers are recovered/recovering alcoholics many of whom may damaged their livers considerably before stopping. There are other possible confounders as well but that seems to me the most likely. Certainly not drinking by itself is not a threat to health, but in a culture where drinking is the norm, non-drinkers by definition are unusual people and will have other traits/factors different from the norm which may influence health.

A study of non-drinkers vs drinkers done in a population with different norms (for example, in south Asia, where it is quite normal to never drink) would get very different results.

As to the original topic...I think Popcorn summed it up nicely. The disease of alcoholism is defined by the element of compulsion, of needing to drink. It is quite possible to be an alcoholic but only drink beer, or wine,; to drink only on evenings or weekends; and even to drink only a limited amount (altho that's less common) if one is unable to do without it.

While on the whole alcoholics are much more likely than non-alcoholics to drink in excessive amount, it is possible to not be an alcoholic and yet still be drinking more than is good for your health. As to what that amount is, as the article indicated there is no fixed magic number established by research. Also, individual factors weigh in...age, chronic health problems like diabetes, hepatitis B or C or other liver problems, kidney problems, etc. You folks know who you are....

And as one ages, all the body organs, including the liver, become less able to regenerate and tolerate abuse. The same amount of alcohol that you bounced right back from in your 20's may well do damage in your 50's.

Cheers Sheryl!

as far as I knew is not only about the quantity of the alcohol, is also how often do u consume it. If u need to drink every day, then there is a problem. Alcoholism have different levels and stages, probably u are in a early stage, but doesn't mean that "there is no problem at all"

:o

does the fact that i drink my beer with lots of ice make it less harmfull i wonder

• 1 month later...

at some days i drink everyday for about 7 - 10 days when wife is not around. approx 8-12 small bottles an evening. first couple days of drinking too much beer and its total flatulence in stomach and horrible bowel movements. feel full and gastric takes over. perhaps a mix of anxiety and too much beer. after a few days of beer, it all goes back to normal! :o

this has got to be normal? feel anxious just to go out and have some beer tonight.

at some days i drink everyday for about 7 - 10 days when wife is not around. approx 8-12 small bottles an evening. first couple days of drinking too much beer and its total flatulence in stomach and horrible bowel movements. feel full and gastric takes over. perhaps a mix of anxiety and too much beer. after a few days of beer, it all goes back to normal! :o

this has got to be normal? feel anxious just to go out and have some beer tonight.

If your question was whether or not you have a problem, the answer is: definitely yes.

You need to find healthier ways to handle your anxiety, and also maybe get some insight into why you have so much anxiety, rather than self-medicating with a large amounts of alcohol...