NASA confirms half-ton meteor crashed into South Texas

Social Media

Sonic boom heard as meteor crashes into ground near McAllen, Texas

A sonic boom was captured on a home video camera as a meteor crashed into the ground near McAllen, Texas. CREDIT: Fox 4

A nearly 1,000-pound meteor measuring two feet wide crashed into South Texas on Wednesday, according to reports.

Fox station KDFW in Dallas reported that NASA confirmed the meteor broke apart as it fell through the atmosphere to its resting place near McAllen, Texas at about 6 p.m.

McAllen is a border town.  Kind of funny how this thing traversed the solar system and when it hit Earth it managed to avoid Mexico by a few miles.  I suspect somebody in Mexico was reading about the fireworks festival in Yasothon and came up with a way to get across.  ????

20 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

A nearly 1,000-pound meteor measuring two feet wide crashed into South Texas on Wednesday, according to reports.

Fox station KDFW in Dallas reported that NASA confirmed the meteor broke apart as it fell through the atmosphere to its resting place near McAllen, Texas at about 6 p.m.

Two feet wide when it hit the ground, or when it entered the atmosphere?

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

McAllen is a border town.  Kind of funny how this thing traversed the solar system and when it hit Earth it managed to avoid Mexico by a few miles.  I suspect somebody in Mexico was reading about the fireworks festival in Yasothon and came up with a way to get across.  ????

Two feet wide when it hit the ground, or when it entered the atmosphere?

Well, technically speaking, it's a meteor until it hits the ground when it becomes a meteorite. So, if their usage is correct, and who knows, then it was 2 feet wide when it was still aloft. But, I'm not betting that the news source has on staff a nerd like me to do fact-checking.