NON-O Retirement letter written in THAI ( for immigration )

If OP is talking about the letter one gets to support an annual extension based on retirement, my experience with SCB (Chiangmai) is different.....only the branch where I opened the account eons ago will issue that letter.  I've asked at other branches (closer to where I live) a couple of times over the years if they would issue the letter and I was told that I must go back to the branch where I opened the account.  It's been a couple of years since I asked so maybe things have changed.  

10 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I guess those days are over for SCB, but bkk bank still stuck in those ages since a statement has to be printed at headquarter. ????????

Branches can do six month statements, so what I have done is get one at six months and one at twelve and then you don't have to wait for a statement from HQ, talking about Bangkok Bank

28 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I guess those days are over for SCB, but bkk bank still stuck in those ages since a statement has to be printed at headquarter. ????????

One nice thing about SCB is one can get the usual bank letter and the annual statement just by showing up and asking (takes 15-20 minutes) so I simply stop at the bank (my original branch, of course) the day before I apply for the annual extension and get them.  I was considering moving my 800k account to Bangkok Bank but decided not to solely because of this factor alone.

6 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I was considering moving my 800k account to Bangkok Bank

And what made you to think so ?!!! I don't see any positive point about having a fixed (800,000) account at bkkb. I see only lower interest rate and statement difficulties.

Edited by The Theory

49 minutes ago, The Theory said:

And what made you to think so ?!!! I don't see any positive point about having a fixed (800,000) account at bkkb. I see only lower interest rate and statement difficulties.

I wouldn't really care which bank is involved but, as I said, SCB is easier for me for the annual paperwork so the account stays there.  The interest rate is irrelevant to me as it's lousy wherever you park money.  And, as I've said before, while the 800k does allow me comply with the annual extension requirements, my primary reason for using the method is so I have adequate funds available in case of personal or medical need (I have medical insurance but may some day be put in the position of having to pay up front).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

One nice thing about SCB is one can get the usual bank letter and the annual statement just by showing up and asking (takes 15-20 minutes) so I simply stop at the bank (my original branch, of course) the day before I apply for the annual extension and get them.  I was considering moving my 800k account to Bangkok Bank but decided not to solely because of this factor alone.

Good to hear that u can get the bank stuff done the day before going to immigration. I was under the impression that it had to be the same day. How about about a bank book withdrawal or deposit to show the application day balance is over 800k thb?

53 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Good to hear that u can get the bank stuff done the day before going to immigration. I was under the impression that it had to be the same day. How about about a bank book withdrawal or deposit to show the application day balance is over 800k thb?

Here in CM it's no problem doing the bank paperwork the day before.....have done that for more than dozen years without even a question.  I understand it may be allowed up to a week before the date of application but I've always done it the day before.

For only the last couple of annual extensions, I've deposited or withdrawn a small amount from the account minutes before getting the bank paperwork as I've understood (from ThaiVisa comments) in recent years it may be a required to show a transaction the same day.  Before then, I didn't do the deposit/withdrawal routine and it was never questioned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CMBob said:

I didn't do the deposit/withdrawal routine and it was never questioned.

I left CM a year ago, but I never did any deposit. And I was never asked for statement for my fixed account, only letter and updated bank book. I don't know if rules have changed or not. 

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

I left CM a year ago, but I never did any deposit. And I was never asked for statement for my fixed account, only letter and updated bank book. I don't know if rules have changed or not. 

Rules have indeed changed.  In addition to the bank letter you mentioned, it is now required to show a full year's history (apparently so Immigration can verify you kept 800k baht in the bank for 90 days after your last application, 60 days before the current application date, and a minimum of 400k baht all other times during the year).  SCB provides a separate statement with copies of bank statements to support this required history.

As to whether CM Immigration in fact requires a deposit/withdrawal the same day as the bank letter, I actually don't know....I've just done it the last couple of extensions because other Immigration offices have required it (according to multiple reports) and I've presumed CM Immigration also required it.