Another van accident in same area as tragedy that claimed 11 lives in January - seven injured this time

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai caption:: Nearly a repeat of the 11 deaths

Sanook reported on yet another accident involving a passenger van on Mitraphap Highway in Si Khio district heading towards Nakhon Ratchasima at 3.29 am in Mitraphap sub-district.

Back on January 21st eleven people lost their lives after a van exploded in flames.

This time a Toyota van hit the back of a Mitsubishi pick-up in the same area resulting in seven injuries.

The injured - all relatives who had hired the van to take them to Korat for an ordination ceremony - were taken by rescue services to Si Khio Hospital.

Police are interviewing all concerned to get to the bottom of what happened.

Initial reports from the injured suggested that the van went out of control and hit the back of the pick-up.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Initial reports from the injured suggested that the van went out of control and hit the back of the pick-up.

Either the pick-up was moving very slow or stationary, or the mini-van had the usual suicide jockey at the wheel.

• Thumbs Up 1

How many people have lost their lives riding in a song  taew ? Rare to lose one over a long period. Yet police make it a new priority to limit passengers to sitting only on the two benches. But these van owners likely much more wealthy than song they owners, must have some special influence to escape safety rules.

• Love It 2

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

No, the report clearly says "Initial reports from the injured suggested that the van went out of control", so it was the van, not the driver. ????

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Solve these problems with banning travelling at night in minivans... drivers are often tired or sleepy as driving in the dark is more difficult...And when will they get a decent rest???

Indeed, these vans are very dangerous: they seem to be irresistibly attracted to power poles, trees, road signs, to slippery roads and sharp road turns. What can the poor drivers do?

A good example last week, I stay at a hotel near by the airport because I have a flight go and go back the same day.

The hotel have shuttle service, so I took the mini van at 5:30 to the airport.

Come back the same day at 21:30 and there was the mini van, and guess....the same driver.

He was quite grumpy and I can imagine that, he rode back like a madman, and I wonder how many trips he made back and forth that day.

It's time for a tachograph, also in LOS, but compliance is important.

• Like 1