Planning to Retire in Thailand

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

Hua Hin was not in my mind with better places, but you have to sacrifice quality english spoken hospitals to live in those places, like more quiet, and less westerns around. 

I can start with Hua Hin, both great private hospitals and also the new modern government hospital who have Vip treatment for westerns who is willing to pay. Great service for check ups, but know nothing about their surgeons or anything else, except I hear some of the doctors and nurses working both for government and private hospitals. 

I like Krabi, parts of Phuket, Khao Lak, the beaches North of Chumpon and trang. I hear many older say Bang Saen is very nice, I have never been there myself. I could also live partly on Koh Phangan or Koh Lanta, but the weather in the long rainseason south of Prachuap Khiri Khan, can be really bad. Hua Hin have definitely best clima and weather, and not so bad air quality most of the year. Hua hin have also better beach and water quality than Pattaya except during jelly fish season/rainseason.

As said, I would settle one place or have a base where living cheap, and be able to move a little around as the season goes. 

I never ever thought I would thrive in Isan, but i do, but that is more about me, and my background and my interests, as well be able to live far away from Neighbors. 

The most important thing to know, life gets easily boring, no matter where you are in Thailand if the next door bar is not your second home. Everything about socializing seems to be through alcohol for many expats, so maybe better to have a plan if English lifestyle is not your cup of tea. 

Thank you very much for the report. Hua Hin is definetly one of my ideas were to live. The air is not good but very bad all the time too. And the climate is nice as you mentioned and would maybe suite me as scandinavian best of all places in Thailand. The second one is Phuket and third is Pattaya.  Phuket has the best air quality but in the other hand there is a huge moisture that I am not sure is so good for the body. But maybe I am just overdoing that thinking.

Otherwise Phuket city has everything I believe. Phuket city with surroundings would be the place for me on Phuket. But I have heard that the island now is flooded by russian people? I am not sure what to like about that.

Pattaya is an option too. The air there is likewise with Hua Hin I think. There is probably everything to wish from a larger city. The prostitution reputation in the world is a big minus though.

I would like to stay in city center what ever city it will be but still be able to not live to close to other people. And not in a gated community. In Hua Hin most of the villas are outside the city and they are in gated community.

2 hours ago, Captor said:

I would like to stay in city center what ever city it will be but still be able to not live to close to other people. And not in a gated community. In Hua Hin most of the villas are outside the city and they are in gated community.

Is there something wrong with gated communities?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, carlyai said:

Yes sewage is released into the gulf. They do it all round the world.

Same as Pattaya bay and Jontien. Swum there a lot and never got sick.

Pools, spars etc could also be polluted but most people swim in them.

Pattaya and Jontien are beautiful beaches.

Hey, if it works for you, have at it!

Edited by Hanuman2547
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, zzzzz said:

My advice is come over, head to Pattaya for 2 months,  Head to Chiang Mai for 2 months, Head to Phuket or samui for 2 months than choose.

During ur first year settled, travel around, there are some great areas all over the country but you need find what you desire

If you desire be near the water, you can cross CM off the list.
If you like cities, Bangkok offers lots for everyone, if ur not a city person, cross that off  ur list

The advantage to renting and not buying, you can always move   ????

That's what I would do as well.  Try out different places.  The only thing to take into consideration is the rainy season, the summer season, and the cool season.  You can't compare staying at one place in August & September with another place during December & January and saying it rains all the time whereas the place you were at in December and January it doesn't rain.

13 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Is there something wrong with gated communities?

Nothing wrong with that for those who like it. But I would like to have some life around my living. Those gated communities I have seen and visit to has been like the place were retirees coming to die. No life/action (very little) around. Too quite for me. No businesses around. Not much interaction with other people.

Edited by Captor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:53 PM, ChintaHuma said:

With five million and $2,000 income from SS, it is possible to retire in the USA also. Just buy a house for 50K USD in the USA for 10K down and you will be OK. Many people do that also. 

I dont think you wont find anything livable for $50K. Also your idea on Medicare isn't workable as typically you cant stay out of the service area for more than 6 months. You wont be able to claim a house as you're primary residence if you are renting it out. So that would also be an issue with Medicare plans. 

If I were you, I would take SS as soon as available. My uncle retired at 60 and decided to wait on SS to get full payment. He died at 63. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:04 AM, still kicking said:

I am renting a 2-bedroom unit and no it is not a shared accommodation. I am by my own 

I do pay 240 dollars per week and have a car pay for that the electricity here is cheaper than in Thailand my food bill is about 80 dollars per week as I said before electricity, I have not paid anything for about 2 years. Yes, I do some but less than in Thailand, why is everybody in favour of Thai living I been there done that, but I came back and never regret it  

Edited by zzzzz

6 hours ago, Captor said:

Nothing wrong with that for those who like it. But I would like to have some life around my living. Those gated communities I have seen and visit to has been like the place were retirees coming to die. No life/action (very little) around. Too quite for me. No businesses around. Not much interaction with other people.

What is your budget? A few golf communities is ok, and not roof to roof houses but good spaced out land and room between the houses, but to far from city center.

There is no way I could have lived in those gated communities on a 400-600m2 land, to close for me.

I can live high up in a condominium with large balcony and seaview.

8 hours ago, Captor said:

You need to walk around and outside those gated communities. I live in one and the beach is close by just a mere 1.5 km walk and as far as shops and restaurants those are all in close proximity as well. Your budget just means you have a villa further out of town, get a bicycle or a 125cc motorbike. If you like condo living then that's what you end up with being in town or close.  Learn to live a little, gated communities are not where we retirees go to die. My sunrise walk this morning south of Hua Hin.

20230224_070059.jpg

20230224_065846.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Hummin said:

… life gets easily boring, no matter where you are in Thailand if the next door bar is not your second home. Everything about socializing seems to be through alcohol for many expats, so maybe better to have a plan if English lifestyle is not your cup of tea. 

Too true.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ArnieP said:

Too true.

Can be true or not true anywhere. Friends of mine lived the alcohol-fueled lifestyle in Florida. One already died relatively young.

It's up to the person. Most people in Pattaya aren't drunks, but that's not our narrative. Lots of ordinary middle-class sorts here, many with families. They live in condos, apts, gated communities, or standalone homes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

What is your budget? A few golf communities is ok, and not roof to roof houses but good spaced out land and room between the houses, but to far from city center.

There is no way I could have lived in those gated communities on a 400-600m2 land, to close for me.

I can live high up in a condominium with large balcony and seaview.

Condomium is nice as well but my wife is not so into that because of the height sometimes. But there you can have the bad luck in getting loud neighbors VERY close. Or you can not get that loud by yourself for example play loud music.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You need to walk around and outside those gated communities. I live in one and the beach is close by just a mere 1.5 km walk and as far as shops and restaurants those are all in close proximity as well. Your budget just means you have a villa further out of town, get a bicycle or a 125cc motorbike. If you like condo living then that's what you end up with being in town or close.  Learn to live a little, gated communities are not where we retirees go to die. My sunrise walk this morning south of Hua Hin.

20230224_070059.jpg

20230224_065846.jpg

That looks nice and sounds nice as well. Which one gated community is this? Maybe I should take a look at that when I go to Hua Hin next time.. There are probably nice places around. The problem is to find them. Pranburi could maybe be nice as well if there is something we like.

5 minutes ago, Captor said:

Condomium is nice as well but my wife is not so into that because of the height sometimes. But there you can have the bad luck in getting loud neighbors VERY close. Or you can not get that loud by yourself for example play loud music.

You will need a quite large budget in central Hua Hin to get what you want without any compromise. Pranburi can give you what you looking for, but it is not central in any way.

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

You will need a quite large budget in central Hua Hin to get what you want without any compromise. Pranburi can give you what you looking for, but it is not central in any way.

Yes, Pranburi could be nice as well. I have not been there myself only looked on internet and it looks very nice there.  That is not so far away from Hua Hin and hospitals and other services there like shopping etc. Not that I am sick but we are all getting older and who knows what´s waiting around the corner. 

1 minute ago, Captor said:

Yes, Pranburi could be nice as well. I have not been there myself only looked on internet and it looks very nice there.  That is not so far away from Hua Hin and hospitals and other services there like shopping etc. Not that I am sick but we are all getting older and who knows what´s waiting around the corner. 

Most important take your time, what you want today might not be the same in three years. My own experience after following the marked in Hua Hin I ended up in Isan on a big plot. Do not regret that one second, and travelling more than ever. But, I give it 10-20 years depending on health before I will move more central place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Most important take your time, what you want today might not be the same in three years. My own experience after following the marked in Hua Hin I ended up in Isan on a big plot. Do not regret that one second, and travelling more than ever. But, I give it 10-20 years depending on health before I will move more central place. 

I lived in the north, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani from Nong Saeng to Wang Sam MO, then in Sakhon Nakhon. Lived in Nonthaburi, and still own my condo in Bangkok Lumpini Park Area, even lived on Phuket in Chalong and in Rawaii.  Traveled around during most of Covid and found a place south of Hua Hin and Pranburi, east of Hwy 4. Plenty of places down in Khao Tao/Nong Kae on both sides of Hwy 4. Not far from Shopping or going back into HH to get to the Bluport Mall, the hospitals or even going south to the Makro, or Lotus plys government hospitals on the military bases you can use, and like I said before there is a great clinic at Banyan Tree, which is a gated community.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yes, yes, that is so true. We are evolving all life. My wife is from Issan same as the most women in Thailand (it seems like ????) and I have been there some and it is nice there as well. Did considering Khon Kaen for some time, or the outskirts of Khon Kaen, but then the air pollution made me to look into other places. And it is of course nice to have the ocean nearby. Not that I am a beach bum ???? but still just the knowledge that the ocean is close feels comforting.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Hummin said:

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I lived in the north, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani from Nong Saeng to Wang Sam MO, then in Sakhon Nakhon. Lived in Nonthaburi, and still own my condo in Bangkok Lumpini Park Area, even lived on Phuket in Chalong and in Rawaii.  Traveled around during most of Covid and found a place south of Hua Hin and Pranburi, east of Hwy 4. Plenty of places down in Khao Tao/Nong Kae on both sides of Hwy 4. Not far from Shopping or going back into HH to get to the Bluport Mall, the hospitals or even going south to the Makro, or Lotus plys government hospitals on the military bases you can use, and like I said before there is a great clinic at Banyan Tree, which is a gated community.

That sounds perfect. I will definitely take a closer look into that area between Hua Hin and Pranburi. You have really been around! I have and still are, looking into Phuket as well. The places I was thinking of there is Wichit, Chalong and Rawai. You have lived there. How is it there climate wise? I guess it is much more moisture in the air. Maybe that can disturb the health and mind as well if too much. Is it nice to live there? To many tourists? I have heard of all the russians now invading the place. Maybe most of them are OK but the ones I have seen have been very rude, especially against the Thais. Yes, there is a lot to take into consideration :-).

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Cambodia is NOT for old man>
moved over there in june 21, came back to Phuket nov 22
food sucks, health care sucks ( had more than 1 friend die there that wouldn't haven't  if they had been in Thailand)

85% of things are more expensive ( makes sense as everything is imported form China, Vietnam or Thailand, 

Yes visa is easy $300/year  no money in bank

vs Thailand 16,000 baht, no money in  bank

Stcik with thailand

He does not have base money fundamentals to 'stick with Thailand' long-term with no issues ..fair enough on your first hand comments...he could stick to somewhere else.

On 2/22/2023 at 1:42 PM, Hummin said:

Clamydia in pools, be careful and sure if you swollow poolwater some gonorrhea as well. 

Dr told me I got clamydia in my eye most likely from the poolwater ????

Can swimming pool conjunctivitis be caused by chlamydia?

Adult inclusion conjunctivitis is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and is usually sexually acquired; in rare cases it can be acquired by swimming in a contaminated swimming pool. The tarsal conjunctiva are usually more hyperemic than the bulbar conjunctiva; there is a marked tarsal follicular response

https://www.msdmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/conjunctival-and-scleral-disorders/adult-inclusion-conjunctivitis#:~:text=Adult inclusion conjunctivitis is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and is,a marked tarsal follicular response.

Thanks for the swimming references....in case one get's it, I guess one could always argue on the pool approach with the Missus back home ????

• Haha 2

Honestly if unless you are not looking for cheap sex, for retirement I could probably think of better locations closer to home.

Health insurance will, unless as many here seem to think a glass of wheat grass makes you immune to illness, will over time become unaffordable.

Your Medicare Part A is worthless in Thailand, and if at some point you call it quits, you'll pay a penalty on Part B.

Think carefully, and explore Central American options

• Like 1

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Thanks for the swimming references....in case one get's it, I guess one could always argue on the pool approach with the Missus back home ????

Well I got it in my eye, not on my willy ????

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Honestly if unless you are not looking for cheap sex, for retirement I could probably think of better locations closer to home.

Health insurance will, unless as many here seem to think a glass of wheat grass makes you immune to illness, will over time become unaffordable.

Your Medicare Part A is worthless in Thailand, and if at some point you call it quits, you'll pay a penalty on Part B.

Think carefully, and explore Central American options

Having a Thai wife makes Thailand 1. Choice, because Family is everything for most of them. The closer the better if they have a good relationship with each other.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Captor said:

That looks nice and sounds nice as well. Which one gated community is this? Maybe I should take a look at that when I go to Hua Hin next time.. There are probably nice places around. The problem is to find them. Pranburi could maybe be nice as well if there is something we like.

Hua Hin, coming into air-quality problems:

https://www.iqair.com/thailand/prachuap-khiri-khan/hua-hin