UK Passport Renewal --documents required

Have checked the VFS site and think I know which documents are required for renewal

Completed application form

Colour copies of every page of expiring passport

Proof of address in English

2 passport photos

My concerns are:-

Regarding proof of address, like many of us I have absolutely nothing in my name at my address (except a driving licence) as all bills etc are in my wife's name.

I have read that a recent bank statement showing my name and address in English could be acceptable ?

I read that the fee needs to be paid on a UK credit card --- I have a UK bank atm card, would this be acceptable ?

If I have missed anything am grateful for any and all advice regarding this

I used Key Visa for our sons renewal, I live in Pattaya, no trips to Bangkok required, completed application form, 2 photos and Passport, plus the Passport renewal fee, separate payment form with details of debit card/credit card. I can’t remember what Key Visa fee was

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Why do you need proof of address, when I renewed my sons here we didn’t provide that ?

VFS started doing UK passports after the change from FCO to HO in 2014. Proof of address was required by UK governemt as confirmation of delivery address and had to be a Thai address, I got a translation of my electricity bill. I was one of the first to  apply under the new arrangement and needed embassy intervention to get it sorted.

As far as I am aware delivery by international courier direct from the passport office never materialised with all passports having to be collected here in Thailand.

VFS is not the sharpest tool in the box and not surprised they still ask.

I did my UK passport renewal recently with VFS, my proof of address was a letter from DWP.

I guess anything similar would be acceptable, from a UK institution.

I received my new passport in 3 week's.

I did both the application and collection in person.

I did have to ask for the Consul letter asking Thai immigration to transfer my visa extension stamps into the new passport because it was not offered.

Overall a pleasant experience.

18 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

For proof of address you can use a letter from the Government, so a letter from HM Customs(income tax letter)

or from Dept of Works and Pensions, but I believe it needs to dated within the last 12 months?

I have neither

On 2/22/2023 at 4:26 PM, sandyf said:

VFS is not the sharpest tool in the box and not surprised they still ask.

And the fact that their HMPO masters back in the UK have apparently never sought to intervene on this point is IMHO yet another manifestation (if we really needed it) of bungling incompetence and ineptitude on their (HMPO's) part!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:41 AM, fulhamster said:

I read that the fee needs to be paid on a UK credit card --- I have a UK bank atm card, would this be acceptable ?

Where did you read it has to be a credit card?
I certainly used a UK Bank debit card last month and a printed a Kasikorn Bank statement from their website for the proof of my address.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And the fact that their HMPO masters back in the UK have apparently never sought to intervene on this point is IMHO yet another manifestation (if we really needed it) of bungling incompetence and ineptitude on their (HMPO's) part!

Quite. It is institutional incompetence within the HO that stretches beyond the Passport Office.

When the refugees from Ukraine were delayed being processed it turned out that there were only 2 staff in the main VFS office dealing with them. The Home Secretary immediatly told the House she would put more staff in place. Since when were VFS staff employed by the HO, but the MPs appeared to be ignorant on the issue and swallowed it hook, line and sinker. 

Things seem to have taken a real turn for the worse since the tories came to office and made Theresa May Home Secretary, she initiated the overseas passport reform.

The last time I got a new passport I went to the passport office in Liverpool to collect it in person.

I remember that I had to go to the British embassy in BKK on my return to get a letter stating that the passport was genuine which I had to present at the Immigration Office to get my visa and stamps transferred to the new passport.

Please can someone tell me if that is still the case?

Many thanks in advance.

On 2/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

I used Key Visa for our sons renewal, I live in Pattaya, no trips to Bangkok required, completed application form, 2 photos and Passport, plus the Passport renewal fee, separate payment form with details of debit card/credit card. I can’t remember what Key Visa fee was

Just some advice from you on your son's passport. I have to renew my son's passport this year, it will be his third as he is now 10. He is still of an age that his photo has to be countersigned by a reputable person to vouch for him. I have his photos and had intended to get this done on my next visit to the UK.    Was this photo situation also the case with your son and, if so, was your agent able to assist?

I wasn't intending to use an agent but avoiding two trips to VFS would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, sniggie said:

Just some advice from you on your son's passport. I have to renew my son's passport this year, it will be his third as he is now 10. He is still of an age that his photo has to be countersigned by a reputable person to vouch for him. I have his photos and had intended to get this done on my next visit to the UK.    Was this photo situation also the case with your son and, if so, was your agent able to assist?

I wasn't intending to use an agent but avoiding two trips to VFS would be a bonus.

A friend countersigned it here in Thailand, he is retired and living here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

The last time I got a new passport I went to the passport office in Liverpool to collect it in person.

I remember that I had to go to the British embassy in BKK on my return to get a letter stating that the passport was genuine which I had to present at the Immigration Office to get my visa and stamps transferred to the new passport.

Please can someone tell me if that is still the case?

Many thanks in advance.

I thought the letter was only need if you renewed here, obviously if you got it in UK and it's used for travel that proves it's genuine. Last time I go mine in UK was not asked for a letter when transferring stamps

Edited by proton