Ten great reasons to retire in Phuket, Thailand

snoop1130

1 hour ago, bokningar said:

Since Phuket is declared free of rabies I would be surprised if it was on the list. 

Massive explosion of stray dog populations during covid.  No way all of the dogs have been recorded let alone screened.

Who would you trust, Thai authorities, or your common sense?

Here is a litmus test for you:

If you were in Phuket and bitten by a stray dog, would you go and have rabies shots?  Or would you just relax and carry on with your holiday safe in the knowledge that Phuket has been declared rabies free?

3 hours ago, SGD said:

as a visitor it is truly the worst of Thailand and I don't think I want to go through that to try to find something else because 99% of Phuket is tainted with some degree of tourist rip off.

Somewhat ironic that the worst part for you is all the tourists who come in their millions because they regard it as the best part to visit.

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

It might prove useful in the discussion at this point to also point out that the photo in the OP is not even from a Phuket beach.  It is a royalty free stock image and can be downloaded here:

https://wallpapers.com/wallpapers/shirley-temple-tropical-drink-qrf7l9h3s6zhsav2.html

Sums up Phuket entirely I would argue.

You have a point, but it doesn't just apply to, nor gauge, anything about the subject matter.

It just illustrates laziness and possible theft of stock images by a publication. It can be seen everywhere. far too often. I don't know how often I've called out obviously incorrect pics. I recall a few years ago one of the haters placed an image of rubbish and rotten old boats on a beach in an attempt to belittle Phuket. It was an obvious pic from Indonesia, easily spotted by the boat design and their country flags. Was it you?

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Massive explosion of stray dog populations during covid.  No way all of the dogs have been recorded let alone screened.

Who would you trust, Thai authorities, or your common sense?

If you were in Phuket and bitten by a stray dog, would you go and have rabies shots?  Or would you just relax and carry on with your holiday safe in the knowledge that Phuket has been declared rabies free?

Good question. I would probably go with better safe than sorry.

Rabies free yesterday may not apply today. Lots of riff raff come in from neighboring provinces all the time.

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I have a number of older friends who still reside in Phuket.  Nearly all of them now have limited mobility and spend most days in their back gardens pottering around in a drunken haze and hoping for an occassional visit from a bird or butterfly.  They rely on their Thai partners entirely (many of whom work, or did work, in massage shops or bars) to interface with the outside world in Phuket and handle all the day to day logistics of running their homes.

These expats have become what I like to refer to as boiled frogs.  The quality of life in Phuket has steadily deteriorated significantly over the last decade, and this year it now hosts droves of Russian refugees and in a few months the return of the Chinese tour buses once more clogging the roads of Phuket.  But these guys have little grasp of the realities of life in Phuket and how bad it has now become.  Their individual partners are the ones bearing the brunt of all the additional stresses that have emerged.

Wow. People get old and infirm wherever they reside. Phuket would be better place to grow old than a million other places I could think of.

Do your "friends" know how you feel about them?

Do you really have friends?

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Passed that test in Phuket and have a scar on my calf to show for it. 

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Great Nik, well suited. 

Comments on a Thai forum about a topic discussing living in Phuket yet states he lives in Viet while raving about The Philippines.

Well off topic.

I'm moving back to  Philippine May 2023 ! just to inform you l Know Phuket back n 1980s /90s /2000s  you were  probably not born at the time whe I first in Thailand early 70s RR & Later l worked in Thailand, Laos 1990s to 1999 married local thai Rip.. not that its your business l believe l'm better informed than yourself ! Member of Thai visa forum many years !! lived In Pattaya for while , Hua-hin 4 year's  90s , Samui 2013 - 15 Where I reside today Vn gives me more of informed view of where to live value for money + Visa " Open your mind up Stop worrying what I say or comment on Its A Opinion ..   

Edited by Mad mick

… After Reading about the 10 good points of living in Phuket, here on AN, I saw different wording in the Immigration, Visa extension section of that Story. ???

Like am I right here Or was it always there ? and I just did not see it ???

Like my Questions is on the new wording ??? In the “Cash in the bank section of the NON – OA Visa extension”. ??? ... Like I think that they have changed that wording now ??? ???

... Well it was Implied before, that the 800,000 in the bank probably should have come from OUT side Thailand, … but they did not say that !!! Precisely, I think … Until now I see ??? … I think. ? ???

I see here ...

“Retirement visas (O and O-A visas) are available for foreigners over the age of 50 and requires a minimum bank balance and monthly income requirement.”  

… Nb. AND !!! “and monthly income requirement”

And then I found this link to the Criteria and Requirement for Visa Extension from the Thai Immigration site ? ... Further looking in to what I see as new wording on how the money must, get in to your Bank Account ???

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

And in the extension requirements for NON O and OA visas.

Must have an annual earning" and a deposit in a commercial bank located in Thailand with totaling of no less than 800,000 baht as of the filing date.” …

Nb. “annual earning” and a deposit … annual earning” New words to me ? with NO, …   OR’s !!! !!!

And in the Documents Required section underneath these requirements ... also new words re this

“Fund deposit certificate”  issued by a commercial bank located in Thailand and a copy of bank account”

… Nb. “Fund deposit certificate”  … It always has have the Bank Account details for 12 Months, … but I have not seen the Requirement for the “Fund Deposit Certificate” before ???

Like am I right in this ? it was Not there before ???

… Any Ideas on this one fellow NON – OA and O holders ???

I will just get the800K transferred in, but well the Local stock market ? can I use that ? ??? Like it IS just another <Deleted> Hassle right !!! ??? ???