Does fact checking matter to your opinions?

ozimoron

Does fact checking matter to your opinions?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted "Very likely" under the "credible fact checking" condition.

But it seems the "credible fact checking" is often difficult, blurred or impossible these days.

A good example is the climate change, or climate crisis or climate breakdown or whatever people call it.

When we believe some people then soon we will all be deep underwater. Every change of the weather (warmer, colder, wind, whatever) is a clear sign of the climate breakdown, which will happen very soon.

Other experts agree there are changes, but the situation is not really critical.

And then there are experts who dismiss most of the climate panic news.

Which is true?

All of above positions exists with real experts who studied climate for a long time.

That is just one example.

Then there are all the fact checked articles about the war in Ukraine, the situation in Russia, China, and and and.

I think it's almost impossible to know what is true. Because whatever truth we want to know, there will be a (credible) source which supports it.

1 hour ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Fact check is a tool of the woke. The fact check sites are run by lefties and funded by lefties.

I lost what little respect I had for TV AN during covid but the site is still woke. Ever wonder why members / posts drop to nill?

Hope the gay and covidiots, hapless Ukraine loser supporters can support the board bc normies, clear eyed people have had enough

Double 

Edited by Hummin

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But it seems the "credible fact checking" is often difficult, blurred or impossible these days.

A good example is the climate change, or climate crisis or climate breakdown or whatever people call it.

When we believe some people then soon we will all be deep underwater. Every change of the weather (warmer, colder, wind, whatever) is a clear sign of the climate breakdown, which will happen very soon.

Other experts agree there are changes, but the situation is not really critical.

Which is true?

All of above positions exists with real experts who studied climate for a long time.

Then there are all the fact checked articles about the war in Ukraine, the situation in Russia, China, and and and.

I think it's almost impossible to know what is true. Because whatever truth we want to know, there will be a (credible) source which supports it.

Some will always be coloured with some partly interests to change public opinions, and we need that to pull some strings! But to often, to much and to costly, can make the opposite result.  lockquote widget

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

By whom?

Look at all the lies out of the highest eschalons of government, public health and mass media. Twitter files real eye opener

Anybody who can point to reliable evidence. Usually qualified people and evidence produced by qualified people. In general it will be reproducible experiments and the like. Peer reviewed science.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Im always willing to change my understanding of a subject or any matter if convincing evidences is present, and I can learn new facts replacing old ones. 

Why not?

I changed my mind when I came here.  I thought I was old cranky man with balding hair.  

Now I changed mind after enough experts an reliable sources told me I was nice smart generous and very handsum man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Which is true?

Such an intelligent response and then you punted it with this...

57 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess that explains why all those Trump fanboys don't care about facts.

A completely idiotic comment.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I changed my mind when I came here.  I thought I was old cranky man with balding hair.  

Now I changed mind after enough experts an reliable sources told me I was nice smart generous and very handsum man

Did you fact check your panel of experts?

2 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Fact check is a tool of the woke. The fact check sites are run by lefties and funded by lefties.

I lost what little respect I had for TV AN during covid but the site is still woke. Ever wonder why members / posts drop to nill?

Hope the gay and covidiots, hapless Ukraine loser supporters can support the board bc normies, clear eyed people have had enough

Well said, hmm ... may have to take you off my ignore list, and unless quoted, wouldn't have seen this.   Agree completely with above.

Curious how you got on my list now????:

... anti TH

... anti CH

... anti USA

... anti EVs

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well said, hmm ... may have to take you off my ignore list, and unless quoted, wouldn't have seen this.   Agree completely with above.

Curious how you got on my list now????:

... anti TH

... anti CH

... anti USA

... anti EVs

Fact check, is USA the land of free? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Fact check, is USA the land of free? 

Yes & no.  Free to express yourself, though it may cost*** you, but won't be jailed for it, as you might here in TH.

Free to earn as much income as you can, and still the Land of Opportunity, for those that take advantage and actually do something to better their finances.   Is harder everyday if abiding by all the rules & regulations.

Great country to be born in, and retire from, though not that good to live out your retirement in.

*** expressing displeasure with any administration to the WH ... 'WILL' get you audited by the IRS.  My experience anyway ... YMMV

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The point of my question was what if your opinion was contested and fact checking provided in support of that dissent?

Yo ozi I think maybe your adult, mature, critical thinking is going over people heads.

A fact is a fact. That's why its called a fact folks. 

It is not a subjective matter but purely objective e.g. the sky is blue, water is wet, the sun is so many kilometres away from the earth, a lie is a lie because despite the weight if clear evidence a person or entity choses to offer up a falsity in contradiction of said fact, e.g Trump is a lifelong serial sex offender and corporate criminal, ands as it appears from the mounting weight of FACTS a traitor to his nation.

How amazing, and damaging to the whole planet (given we now live in a globally instantaneous communication matrix) that so many so-called adults are so wedded to delusional thinking that despite the clear weight of irrefutable facts they persist in believing otherwise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Up here in Chang Mai the sky is a dirty grey/brown.

So it appears your facts are not everyone's facts.

Haha yep it sure is lol ???? But, I'm sure along with your quick wit you get the point the sky is the sky BritManT ???? ????????

• Thanks 1

It is my opinion that abortion should be legalised worldwide.

It is my opinion that genital mutilation in boy and girls should be illegal worldwide.

How can one "fact check" these examples?

So first, the word "opinion" needs to be properly defined for the context it was intended for.

In my opinion, the question was asked as if someone stated as a fact, something that could be challenged as probably only an opinion, as it related to a "fact check" that justified it, and would we be prepared to change our mind.

My answer is. yes, I would!

• Like 1