Thai Airways Declares Over B10bn Baht in Profit in 2022

snoop1130

On 2/25/2023 at 11:55 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes, that is more the point...Thai offer one of the few direct options for many European countries, Oz and Nz cities too, and could get me to Bali in a timely manner..... 

I fly out of Sydney back to LOS when we visit back home and there are 4 great airlines, that I know of, which fly direct to Swampy most every day, and multiple times a week.

I'm sorry to say my experiences (last time was a few years ago, so maybe things have improved markedly???) with Thai were always low standard (and that's flying business class), food poor, boring and little menu choices, lousy wines, planes old and past their use-by date as were the seating standards, cabin staff and service not up to scratch.  

On 2/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, DaveE13 said:

I feel same as you. I love Emirates and their services and cabing staff are great but I have had a lot of times rushing for connections. So living in London I just prefer the covinience of getting to Lhr and getting on a direct flight knowing if there is a delay it won't be causing me problems when I change flights.  What I have found at the moment to go to bkk in May Eva is the cheapest and prices are coming down

I always go Emirates. You can choose the shortest connection - 1 hr 15 minutes or so - which is stressful but there is normally another option with a 2-2.5 hr connection so I always take that. I've done the short one when we've been delayed and it is no fun to run between flights especially with kids. The extra time is worth it.

10 hours ago, bangon04 said:

ok - put it another way - EVA has standards which make the customer feel that their aircraft are newer, cleaner and well-maintained.

I haven't flown EVA for several years so can't comment. I fly Thai often but only on regional flights and have no complaints - often I am on new A350 or B787 aircraft and service is good, aircraft are good.

I wouldn't fly Thai long haul.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

I always go Emirates. You can choose the shortest connection - 1 hr 15 minutes or so - which is stressful but there is normally another option with a 2-2.5 hr connection so I always take that. I've done the short one when we've been delayed and it is no fun to run between flights especially with kids. The extra time is worth it.

I know Joseph but last time it was delayed and had to rush. One time I got last flight out of Gatwick and it was  cancelled but Emirates put us up in the Gatwick Hilton. 

Superb service i agree. But if I can my  preference is direct Eva or Thai from Heathrow.  With the new Elizabeth line can get train from Whitechapel  direct to Heathrow.

But can't knock Emirates 

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

I haven't flown EVA for several years so can't comment. I fly Thai often but only on regional flights and have no complaints - often I am on new A350 or B787 aircraft and service is good, aircraft are good.

I wouldn't fly Thai long haul.

To be fair last time I flew direct with thai was 9 years ago I normally use Eva. And price wise normally close in cost.

12 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm sorry to say my experiences (last time was a few years ago, so maybe things have improved markedly???) with Thai were always low standard (and that's flying business class), food poor, boring and little menu choices, lousy wines, planes old and past their use-by date as were the seating standards, cabin staff and service not up to scratch.  

I would fly down to Bali with them and refused to pay Biz.... rather a high price and not worth it in my mind. The check-in queue at Denpasar was pretty horrible though....Thai was becoming popular with Indians. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 2/25/2023 at 12:17 PM, new2here said:

Good points 

For point 1, i think that’s a bit more complex… Thai has got to have the operating infrastructure (ie staff etc) to be able to add capacity from the beginning…  and given a large percentage of operational staff have some degree of licensing requirements (ie pilots license, cabin crew certification, maintenance licensing etc) so it’s going to take time to find these people - and get them

properly licensed and trained.

but I think before that question is even considered, I think TG has got to be able to see demand *for where they fly* and think that’s what’s holding them back.. Until a few weeks ago, pretty much most all China travel was off limits .. and even HKG had some level of depressed demand due to lingering C19 entry rules..  So i think TG has to rework their network given the new reality of where to fly, who is flying and what the market looks like today.

For point 2… I agree.. but i also think now is the time for TG to rework their fleet. Many of those stored aircraft will never fly again due to operating economics and network realities .. so given where the market is for TG today, I think it’s a good time to bring their fleet up to current standard - that will help drive down costs (CASM) even a .25% (25bp) reduction in CASM can mean billions of bahts, up operational reliability and i think perhaps most visually, improve the passenger-facing hard product. 

Point C.. Yes.. while I get it.. as a matter of national pride, you’d want a “hometown” CEO and leadership team.. but I think given TGs past history of leadership planning and execution missteps, it’s time to perhaps open up to a truly global candidate search and be willing to accept that what CEO talent TG needs right now maybe from a foreign source. 

Thanks for your input; interesting enough is that on Monday WE (Thai Smile) announced seizing operations due to a THB 20 billion loss .......... TG +10, WE-20 = who pays the difference and, if it is such a money pit then why fly until end of 2024? Just wondering .........