best thai debit card to use in UK

I believe that the debit cards mentioned charge you something like a 2% conversion fee for every transaction in foreign currency

You can open a Krungsri Savings account, sign up for internet, and in their app get a special Krungsri Card called Krungsri Boarding Card which doesn't charge you this fee. One restriction on this card: ATM withdrawals overseas ARE possible, but NOT in Thailand. 

But you can use this card in Thailand except for ATM and for ATM withdrawals use their app for card less withdrawals. 

Don't be discouraged by some text in the app that you cannot get this card, it worked just fine for me with a retirement visa. 

My experiences for the Krungsri Boarding Card are very positive once you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the concept and consider the benefits for yourself. One of them is an easy way to spend your deposits outside of Thailand without a big loss if that should ever be desired. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

hi thanks for useful info....guess Krungsri  make their money on their exchange rate .is there a daily limit to take out money in uk  from thai card......i will check them out  as when i go back to uk...i dont know when or if i will get back to thailand......i was suprised to find that 2 of my accounts needed to be unlocked even though i had been doing transfers and top ups online from uk....apparently needed to do an actual counter transaction once a year..but due to covid etc not been here in 3 years   ..do you know if that applies to debit cards as well.. (eg  need to be in thailand once a year)...thanks

23 hours ago, Barley said:

I believe that the debit cards mentioned charge you something like a 2% conversion fee for every transaction in foreign currency

You can open a Krungsri Savings account, sign up for internet, and in their app get a special Krungsri Card called Krungsri Boarding Card which doesn't charge you this fee. One restriction on this card: ATM withdrawals overseas ARE possible, but NOT in Thailand. 

But you can use this card in Thailand except for ATM and for ATM withdrawals use their app for card less withdrawals. 

Don't be discouraged by some text in the app that you cannot get this card, it worked just fine for me with a retirement visa. 

My experiences for the Krungsri Boarding Card are very positive once you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the concept and consider the benefits for yourself. One of them is an easy way to spend your deposits outside of Thailand without a big loss if that should ever be desired. 

My understanding is this card isnt linked to your current/savings account you simply transfer money from your  current/savings account when you want to use card, you can also set daily amounts for purchases or atm transfers yourself rather than having to contact bank, and you can disable/enable card yourself

so if you don't have any planned purchases for a month simply disable card

On 2/25/2023 at 1:19 AM, theoldgit said:

I've used both my Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank debit cards in the UK, for both cash and purchases, I used all six digits of my pin.

I have used my Bangkok bank master card debit card in the USA for a test to purchase a few dollar items and it was OK. Did not check for any foregin transaction fees. It was just for a check. Not intended to use it in the USA. I don't use debt card for any transactions in the USA or in Thailand. I use Bangkok bank debit card in Thailand for cash withdrawal and use it for cash transactions only inside Thailand. I use US credit cards for all other transactions wherever possible, including in Thailand as it gives me 100% fraud protection, at least 2% cash rewards (more in restaurants and gas stations) and using OPM for at least 25-days interest free. I don't see any advantage of using debit cards, hence I don't use it. 

Imagine one of these scenarios:

You cannot enter Thailand for example for reasons of health, visa problems, different life planning etc. but you have a lot of money in Thailand, for example for purposes of a retirement visa.

By having the Krungsri Boarding Card you can get your money out of Thailand with a fair exchange rate and by saving a 2% surcharge. This was my thinking.

And yes, the Bangkok Bank Debit Card charges a 2% surcharge outside of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I know that's what the link said. 

I am already a customer and I applied in the app and it said it too. 

But when I started the order I was accepted (I have retirement visa) and the card was in my mailbox 7 days later. 

I just ignored all the warnings and clicked on Continue or similar. It was a little confusing but it worked for me. 

Edited by Barley
  • Thanks 1