Pattaya breakfast buffet

TheLaughingMan

Holiday Inn (North Pattaya) used to have breakfast for 300 if their club member, 350 without, but not sure if still have. Sure not as nice spread as 5-star hotels, but if decent food in unlimited quantity is what you after, might be worth checking

On 2/27/2023 at 6:03 PM, dingdongrb said:

Totally agree......  I cannot count the number of times I witnessed employees leaving the restroom without washing their hands. Also witnessed numerous times where the cooks/servers would go out back, have a cigarette, and then return in the back kitchen door without washing their hands.

NOTE: I have only received food poisoning once in my life (so far...knock on wood) and it was contracted by eating some chicken at a buffet..... in the USA!

I have had food poisoning only twice, once from a famous chain restaurant in NZ and once from a well known branded restaurant in Bkk.

I have eaten from some pretty dire kitchens in LOS, but never a poisoning problem.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have had food poisoning only twice, once from a famous chain restaurant in NZ and once from a well known branded restaurant in Bkk.

I have eaten from some pretty dire kitchens in LOS, but never a poisoning problem.

Not sure these examples provide much detail..... I have had quite a few cases of bad food poisoning, and one predominant feature of 90% of them has been Indian food..... getting sick in India, from Indian restaurant in the UK, and here in LOS, yes, Indian restaurants here. I would not risk a dire looking kitchen wherever I was, doesn't take much sense to do that. Nor do I frequent food stalls here.... can't get my head round anyone who would eat some of these soups which seem to be made from pouring hottish stock over raw looking offal and noodles, that has been sitting around all evening.  Getting older now, I fear fighting off some of the horrible experiences I have had of food poisoning. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 2/26/2023 at 7:02 AM, jacko45k said:

Apex Hotel maybe?

Yes I've stayed and eaten at lek and apex breakfasts ok for the price I had better but as I said for the price . They also do an evening buffet ..not bad either 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, Mickeymaus said:

Apex was famous. Only 80 Baht for the buffet. But 20 years ago... During Covid the hotel was often closed. Not sure if they opened the buffet again. 

Still closed as far as I am aware, same with the Lek. I think all the old budget buffets have gone.

Stayed at the Apex in my early days, got a paper and spent most of the morning in the buffet.

Room 235 Apex Hotel was the address on my first bank account.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, mran66 said:

Holiday Inn (North Pattaya) used to have breakfast for 300 if their club member, 350 without, but not sure if still have. Sure not as nice spread as 5-star hotels, but if decent food in unlimited quantity is what you after, might be worth checking

Hasn't been that price for a long time, unless they brought it down again.  We used to go as club members and they stopped that. Last time we went, a while before the pandemic, didn't realise it had gone up to 499 but they gave us a discount as a party of 6. Not been back since.

Pity really as I thought it was better than the Dusit.

There were still some breakfast buffets before Covid at reasonable prices. Now they are no more.

Everywhere the same cotton wool bread toasts, the same floating sausages, the same nondescript ham, the same uncooked eggs, no more bacon, no more tomato beans ...

These days I breakfast off some fruit from the market and titbits from 7/11.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:32 PM, NextG said:

You needed to go to a better buffet too

image.thumb.jpeg.f2bacb15b8fbdc05afcaba208ef89f20.jpeg

How is the food evening meals there now ? Have been 3 years back was very nice, I need a go to good restaurant for a month. I’m a bit fussy on cleanliness and quality but don’t want to hit the 1000 Baht mark an evening. 

On 2/24/2023 at 9:49 PM, Woof999 said:

To add to what KannikaP writes above, I've tended away from buffet style anything for years now, purely from a hygiene perspective. Even at a 5* hotel now there is little chance that all my fellow buffeters washed their hands the last time they peed, etc.

There are plenty of fresh cooked breakfast options from 99 baht and up that a buffet, for me at least, makes little sense. I do understand some of the attractions of it though. Sorry that this doesn't directly answer your question.

Bacon and eggs are fine when cold, I would be happy with cold eggs in a buffet as long as they are not fried. When I go on a long motorbike journey, I regularly make up bacon and egg sandwiches with my flask of tea and biscuits.

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

Still closed as far as I am aware, same with the Lek. I think all the old budget buffets have gone.

Stayed at the Apex in my early days, got a paper and spent most of the morning in the buffet.

Room 235 Apex Hotel was the address on my first bank account.

I went to book in to the Apex, but immediately changed my mind when I asked about wifi, they did not have any, and that was only about 6 years ago.

24 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Bacon and eggs are fine when cold, I would be happy with cold eggs in a buffet as long as they are not fried. When I go on a long motorbike journey, I regularly make up bacon and egg sandwiches with my flask of tea and biscuits.

Interesting example of how individual tastes differ. Cold eggs with cold bacon. Brrrrr. I always like my food hot (temperature) - which is quite a task in Thailand. They stoically ignore that the food is cold when served. In a European environment such a plate would go back to the kitchen immediately. My favourite eggs are Eggs Benedict - which some breakfast buffets offer.

With cocktails it is the other way round. I have seen bars where the drinks - ready to be served chilled - stood in the sun waiting for the waiter while transforming into some lukewarm something. Clearly a thing for immediate return to the kitchen (in a normal case - but this here is not normal). The usual solution is to put ice cubes in it as they do in beer. Terrible.

Sandwiches for a journey are of course another matter. They cannot other than be than cold. Here you just have to carefully choose what you put in it that the end result is still tasty when you eat them..

Edited by moogradod

22 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

Yes I've stayed and eaten at lek and apex breakfasts ok for the price I had better but as I said for the price . They also do an evening buffet ..not bad either 

I had Apex breakfast buffet once in Early Jan 2020,  just before the Pandemic. 

Recalled around 150 B per head.     Yes,  barely OK - not good and not bad  for that price.

While  at that time,   150B is also average pricing of an American Breakfast set including one cup of coffee.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I went to book in to the Apex, but immediately changed my mind when I asked about wifi, they did not have any, and that was only about 6 years ago.

May well be, I haven't stayed there for over 20 years. I was referring to the same era as the original post.

• Like 1