Wife Drove Over Neighbour's Dog

17 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

Apparently the dog isn't even injured yet has not eaten any food for days. 

Have to hope that continues until it passes away. Talking of excrement, neighbours directly opposite us don't have animals but all the family do their business outside my house. See them doing it on CCTV. Can only think they are reducing their water bill and frequency they have to pay for the 'poo pumper' tanker?

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

If wife use thai logic = she know you have to pay compensation, if dog owner report this to police, and if they care to visit your home.

All other are irrelevant in Thailand.

Be prepared to pay up / negotiate down how much to pay. You as foreigner stay out of this 100%.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Your neighbours poop outside your house?!!

Number one's and number two's. We keep a heap of sand in the garden and cover the deposits. Using a hose on the concrete soi just spreads it. Our soi is a quiet cul-de-sac and the other neighbours let their dogs loose continuously. You can imagine the mess!

• Confused 2

I saw something similar on Thai TV where a CCTV camera caught a car slowly running over a dog in the road.  From what I could tell the police got involved as running down dogs, like you wife did, is considered criminal cruelty.  Lucky for you they didn't have a CCTV.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

If wife use thai logic = she know you have to pay compensation, if dog owner report this to police, and if they care to visit your home.

All other are irrelevant in Thailand.

Be prepared to pay up / negotiate down how much to pay. You as foreigner stay out of this 100%.

Very sound advice!

• Like 1

If the police do show up and climb under your wife's car  You know they will find dog hair attached  to a bolt or something .  I owned a Collision shop back in the states  When a customer hit an animal and drove it over the undercarriage is covered with evidence  Good Luck 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, connda said:

According to my wife, if someone hits your dog because it is running in the road, the dog's owner is responsible for damages to your car.
However this is a little different as this dude's wife ran over a dog simply laying in the road, she saw it and knew it was laying in the road, and decided to run it over.  And it sounds like the OP and his wife are very happy about running the dog over anyway.

Don't worry unless the police show up.  And hope your neighbor doesn't own a gun.  Give your neighbor wide berth if they are carrying a machete.

Way over the top and over-dramatic post... The wife didn't DELIBERATELY run it over and there is no proof, the dog isn't visibly injured and you live in a very different Thailand to me, because I have been here 13 years and I see more violence in the UK in a year than I have seen here in all my time here.... YOU must live in a part of Thailand where lunatics are running all around the place with machetes and guns... I would leave that place right now if you have two braincells to rub together.

There will be NO compensation, the Thai family is way too well connected to the police for that to be enforced. Soi dogs have ZERO value to us, but you are right about one thing.... I AM happy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Those dogs just sleep 8n the road and even if you slow down they don't move until you are so close they can't be seen so you need to just assume they have moved.  Hope everything works out.  Seems like dogs have more eights than people in Thailand.   ?  Why is this?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Easy to get the owners to be quiet,tell them the car has been damaged

and ask them for compensation.

"...ask them for compensation".

For non-existent damage?   How does that work, then, after they've asked to see the damage?

Edited by Liverpool Lou