Roofing advice for DIY dummy!

Toolong

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Always walk where the roof is supported too, but that applies to steel as well. I was so heavy back then ( I lost a lot of weight since ) that I'd probably have gone through a cement tile roof!

yes, you're quite right. Walk on the right places otherwise things can turn bad!

I may be mistaken, but I find boards placed across the supports kind of spreads the weight, away from full body weight on one spot. Light plywood's great for this + it's easy to lug it up ladders. ????

7 hours ago, Toolong said:

Ah, I see.

Just to mention, I have seen advertised a kind of thickish, rough-finish paint-on or spray-on gloopy looking 'stuff' that is applied to metal roofs to act as a heat barrier (and maybe also acts as extra waterproofing). It wasn't that attractive to look it at but if, as in my case, nobody will see the roof, no problem. Substance over style! Might look into it.

Yes, oddly enough I did, only a few days ago, see a service advertised for that 'flying roof' and was pleased to see it, because it kind of vindicated my long-held thought that it's a great idea which ought to be more widely used or considered. (Though I know many might think it unnecessay. If so, fair enough.)

Cheers. ????

I would avoid such 'wonder' treatments like glop for insulation. Mostly they are scams. At worst they work poorly and add little value.

Flying roof over tile WITH REAL insulation solves your problem for good. The corrogated metal is strong and 'standing ' seam make it virtually waterproof. If two roofs don't keepout the rain then the situation is indeed hopeless!

My kitchen is easily 10F  cooler than it was with the tile roof. And yes, you can easily walk on it.

When we had the Car Port buil we used a double skinned uPVC product, comes in sheets. The company goes under the name of HoloRoof. I know now that this product has been copied by the Chinese ... as you would expect.

During heavy rain it is surprisingly quite. The roof is now supporting 14 Solar panels.

There is a short video ...  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=206854153579377

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I would avoid such 'wonder' treatments like glop for insulation. Mostly they are scams. At worst they work poorly and add little value.

Flying roof over tile WITH REAL insulation solves your problem for good. The corrogated metal is strong and 'standing ' seam make it virtually waterproof. If two roofs don't keepout the rain then the situation is indeed hopeless!

My kitchen is easily 10F  cooler than it was with the tile roof. And yes, you can easily walk on it.

???? Yes, I kind of suspected that the 'glop' way might not be of much benefit! 

And I completely agree that to make a difference something of more proven effectiveness has to be done.....like the flying roof system that you mention.

Re waterproofing metal sheets, what I have found is that proper installation is key: sufficient overhang, securing bolts with rubber washers + silicone AND actually being drilled in the right place and into the metal supports beneath, rather than missing the metal altogether and not actually screwing into anything! 

By the way....when you say insulation in this context, what kind is it, and where is it placed exactly? Is there an airgap between the metal & tiles open to airflow from outside down by the eaves & vented out higher up? Or is it sealed, ie, to disallow little birds getting in, etc? Sorry, lot of queries, but it does rather facinate me and I'm genuinely interested! ????????

13 hours ago, JAS21 said:

When we had the Car Port buil we used a double skinned uPVC product, comes in sheets. The company goes under the name of HoloRoof. I know now that this product has been copied by the Chinese ... as you would expect.

During heavy rain it is surprisingly quite. The roof is now supporting 14 Solar panels.

There is a short video ...  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=206854153579377

JAS21....I love the look of this! Wow!

This definitely interests me and I am very keen to find out more about its quality & effectiveness, etc, + its availability in Thailand.

The commercial video is very impressively done, I must say. Indonesian? Don't understand the language, but the images alone are clear enough to understand. 

One query: strong enough for a person to stand on without damage? (In the right place, obviously!)

Thank you for sending this link. ????

HoloRoof are in Nonthaburi. If I remember correctly the guy imports the sheets from Indonesia. He has a huge stock so availability is not a problem. 

I have seen Chinese copies advertised so be careful.

Our carport is quite wide so we had to have quite some steelwork to prevent excessive sag. You will have to ask the guy …he speaks english …about load bearing… but yes it’s very strong and sheets are not exactly light ….

We are not far from ChaengWattana immigration so if ever around that way come and look if you wish.

As an aside we also used 2M screw piles instead of conventional piling.

I’ll find some pics later of ‘during construction’ …

When I had a search for you there were several more videos 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

HoloRoof are in Nonthaburi. If I remember correctly the guy imports the sheets from Indonesia. He has a huge stock so availability is not a problem. 

I have seen Chinese copies advertised so be careful.

Our carport is quite wide so we had to have quite some steelwork to prevent excessive sag. You will have to ask the guy …he speaks english …about load bearing… but yes it’s very strong and sheets are not exactly light ….

We are not far from ChaengWattana immigration so if ever around that way come and look if you wish.

As an aside we also used 2M screw piles instead of conventional piling.

I’ll find some pics later of ‘during construction’ …

When I had a search for you there were several more videos 

Thanks, JAS21. Interesting.

I'm up in Pakchong so a bit far from Nonthaburi, and your place unfortunately, but I will check it out somehow, by contacting the place in Nonthaburi directly or via the other videos you mentioned, or what stores around here know about it. It definitely deserves checking out.

I note what you say about the 2M screws, thanks. And the 'sag' & steelwork issue too.

If you can, at your convenience, post pics of your construction, etc, would be appreciated. Whenever you have time.

Thanks ????????

1 hour ago, moontang said:

fyi, gentlemen...www.polyglass.com

An Italian company...looks like they are in Singapore or near.  Some interesting videos, training, etc..

Also, anyone seen what SCG has nowadays?  

Thanks, moontang. I will check out the Polyglass site when I can. Sounds interesting.

You mentioned SCG. Funny, I've been here 30 years and have seen the name everywhere, and recently the name has kept coming up on this site in relation to stuff I'm interested in, but I don't actually know much about them. Do they have their own stores, I wonder?

I'll hit google and check them out. ????

14 minutes ago, Toolong said:

You mentioned SCG. Funny, I've been here 30 years and have seen the name everywhere, and recently the name has kept coming up on this site in relation to stuff I'm interested in, but I don't actually know much about them. Do they have their own stores, I wonder?

They are probably the largest conglomerate in the building trade, they certainly have exhibited in various trade shows, everyone carries their products. Since AFIK they only supply through retailers having their own stores would not be of much benefit, though they may have the odd one or two..

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

As can many local workers. 

Certainly some can and do but many, not so much.

2 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

If you could really "do the work properly"

I’ve posted sufficient evidence

3 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

(that's only your opinion not a fact)

Showing that my opinion is congruent with fact

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

then why are you here asking for advice?

Humm, only a fool doesn’t ask questions when they don’t know the answers, but having said that I don’t remember the last time I asked for advice

You have confused me for someone else

My wife's brother is currently in the process of building a new house, and he's installed a metal roof. Not sure if it's steel or aluminum - it's the sort that's fabricated from a big roll, with a machine putting in vertical ridges and bends at the end. Most often used for awnings. In any event, he told me that condensation can be an issue, and you wouldn't want to install an interior gypsum ceiling directly under the metal roof without something to prevent or catch the condensation.

21 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They are probably the largest conglomerate in the building trade, they certainly have exhibited in various trade shows, everyone carries their products. Since AFIK they only supply through retailers having their own stores would not be of much benefit, though they may have the odd one or two..

Yes, I should have realised that was the likely case. ????. Well, I did to be honest, but the way SCG was being referred to in some comments led me to think there might be something I didn't know, so thought I'd ask! ???? 

12 hours ago, DrDave said:

My wife's brother is currently in the process of building a new house, and he's installed a metal roof. Not sure if it's steel or aluminum - it's the sort that's fabricated from a big roll, with a machine putting in vertical ridges and bends at the end. Most often used for awnings. In any event, he told me that condensation can be an issue, and you wouldn't want to install an interior gypsum ceiling directly under the metal roof without something to prevent or catch the condensation.

Ahh....really? Now that's interesting. Condensation & gypsum ceilings. That hasn't been something that I've heard about, but it does seem possible and I certainly don't doubt what your brother-in-law is saying.

I'm guessing that plenty of venting + a lot of insulation on to top of ceiling would help towards making any condensation issues not too serious.

But definitely something I wasn't aware of, so thanks Dave. ????????

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

Ahh....really? Now that's interesting. Condensation & gypsum ceilings. That hasn't been something that I've heard about, but it does seem possible

The reason that you haven’t anything about Condensation & gypsum ceilings is that there are very few occasions where condensation is a possibility and many people have either a radiation barrier or insulation on the roof, so making the numbers even smaller. There are certainly places, usually in the mountains, that have a suitable climate, but then few of them have ceilings and fewer use gypsum.

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The reason that you haven’t anything about Condensation & gypsum ceilings is that there are very few occasions where condensation is a possibility and many people have either a radiation barrier or insulation on the roof, so making the numbers even smaller. There are certainly places, usually in the mountains, that have a suitable climate, but then few of them have ceilings and fewer use gypsum.

Well, that explains that ???? and I did kind of wonder about it being a likely issue. But I guess technically, the person who claimed it could be an issue was right, in a way. Maybe. ????????

So I'll scratch that off the 'concerns' list!

4 hours ago, Toolong said:

Well, that explains that ???? and I did kind of wonder about it being a likely issue. But I guess technically, the person who claimed it could be an issue was right, in a way. Maybe. ????????

So I'll scratch that off the 'concerns' list!

It may not be an issue where you live, but where my brother-in-law lives, there are often temperature shifts from 8C to 26C within a 12-14 hour period in the winter, so condensation is a possibility.

The house we built over 12 years ago next door has the cheap 50x120 "Roman" tiles (about 50 baht each) with no insulation and a gypsum ceiling. Never a condensation problem with those tiles.

50 minutes ago, DrDave said:

where my brother-in-law lives, there are often temperature shifts from 8C to 26C within a 12-14 hour period in the winter, so condensation is a possibility.

That actually makes my point for me. Of the populated areas the percentage that ever go into single digits is tiny, and in general areas that do get the lower temperatures have lowish humidity in the houses when that temperature drops that low. So absolutely condensation is a possibility, however is unlikely to be significant enough, for enough time, for the vast majority to pay much attention to.

FWIW our area may just possibly get down below 15C for a couple of hours a couple of times a year, and as you can see I’m reasonably far north.

10 hours ago, DrDave said:

It may not be an issue where you live, but where my brother-in-law lives, there are often temperature shifts from 8C to 26C within a 12-14 hour period in the winter, so condensation is a possibility.

The house we built over 12 years ago next door has the cheap 50x120 "Roman" tiles (about 50 baht each) with no insulation and a gypsum ceiling. Never a condensation problem with those tiles.

I see your point. If condensation problems have arisen in your brother-in-law's case, I certainly wouldn't dismiss condensation as something that can't happen. ????

(I also put those "Roman" tiles in my old house here, beneath old style corrugated roofing sheets, upstairs where the heat was, hoping that would cool things down.......needn't have bothered! ???? (+ no insulation, so it was doomed from the start!)

But, yes, no condensation problems!)

• Like 1