Mother of US student killed by Thai woman in hit-and-run praises Thai police

webfact

image.jpeg
PHOTO: Facebook/Drama-addict

By Peter Roche

The mother of a 22 year old student who died in a hit-and-run incident in the US state of Michigan has praised Thai police for helping to bring the alleged perpetrator to justice. Ben Kable, an electrical engineering student at Michigan State University, died in the early hours of New Year’s Day, when he was struck by a vehicle being driven by Thai-American, Tubtim “Sue” Howson.

Howson then absconded to Thailand, initially staying in Chon Buri. On February 10, she relocated to the western province of Ratchaburi as news of the hit-and-run and her subsequent disappearance made global headlines. She was arrested in Ratchaburi and arrangements were made to return her to the US to face justice.

Howson was wanted in the US on a charge of failing to stop at the scene of a fatal accident and the authorities have stated that she may face additional charges for her attempt to flee prosecution.

Mr Kable was home for the end-of-year holidays when he was struck by Howson’s car in the early hours of New Year’s Day. His mother, Stacey Kable, says the family is relieved that justice will be served. She has praised the Thai police for tracking down and arresting Howson, who was accompanied by police officers on her flight back to the US and met by the FBI on arrival.

“We are very happy and relieved that Ben will finally get some justice. Mrs. Howson needs to be held accountable for her actions. We are grateful to the Thai people and the Thai national police for their involvement and help. They are wonderful!”

Full story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/mother-of-us-student-killed-by-thai-woman-in-hit-and-run-praises-thai-police/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-02-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Not to mention the civil lawsuit for wrongful death will be easier with her back in the US. 

Yeah, BMW, gone, house, gone. This is why financial advisors and lawyers tell you that you can never have enough too much insurance. Or as one put it, "say you run over a 28 year old anesthesiologist"...

She probably would have been able to plea down to a misdemeanor or two had she not done a runner (both from the scene, where should have stayed, or from the U.S.)...NARRATIVE: she was sober, on her way to work, it was dark, no street lights, victim was walking in the road, and had been ejected (why?)  from an Uber after attending a NYE party. Now? Maybe she can shift some blame to the Uber driver? Or the hosts of the party?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

As I said, she did eventually appear in the Old Bailey, via a video link.

There's supposed to have been some closing of loopholes relating to family members claiming diplomatic immunity, though details have not been made public.

I somehow doubt the Thai lady in question will receive much leniency in this US case.

In the US if you use an automobile to kill someone (especially if it was unintentional) the punishment can be light.  The worst case of injustice I investigated was over 30 years ago when a rich and spoiled guy blew a red light and t-boned a Honda Civic and killed all 4 occupants.  He was driving a BMW and was legally drunk. He  plead No Contest to four counts of vehicular manslaughter and was sentenced to 10 years in state prison but served less than 3 years for good behavior and prison overcrowding.  Of course he and his father settled for millions with the families of the victims.  I see a similar outcome for Mrs. Howson.  I doubt she has a criminal record and probably has a lot of money along with her husband.  Her auto insurance carrier will probably decline coverage because she failed to stay at the scene of an involved traffic collision.  The lawyers will be busy for years.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Howson was wanted in the US on a charge of failing to stop at the scene of a fatal accident and the authorities have stated that she may face additional charges for her attempt to flee prosecution.

Killing someone, fleeing the scene, fleeing the country..

she's gonna find out it ain't treated the same in the USA as it is in Thailand.

Hope she likes prison food 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In the US if you use an automobile to kill someone (especially if it was unintentional) the punishment can be light.  The worst case of injustice I investigated was over 30 years ago when a rich and spoiled guy blew a red light and t-boned a Honda Civic and killed all 4 occupants.  He was driving a BMW and was legally drunk. He  plead No Contest to four counts of vehicular manslaughter and was sentenced to 10 years in state prison but served less than 3 years for good behavior and prison overcrowding.  Of course he and his father settled for millions with the families of the victims.  I see a similar outcome for Mrs. Howson.  I doubt she has a criminal record and probably has a lot of money along with her husband.  Her auto insurance carrier will probably decline coverage because she failed to stay at the scene of an involved traffic collision.  The lawyers will be busy for years.   

If she had not fled the scene, called 911 , maybe a lighter sentence. But fleeing the scene and the country is going to cost her dearly.

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

If she had not fled the scene, called 911 , maybe a lighter sentence. But fleeing the scene and the country is going to cost her dearly.

If she’s had stopped to render aid and called 911 there MAY have been no charges laid at all. Some accidents are unavoidable. 

15 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

I believe fleeing the country is a federal offense, hence the reason the FBI agent is meeting the plane when it arrives in the US.  So when Michigan is thru with her, she'll be facing federal charges.

She came back on her own and was not extradited.  I believe the federal charges will not be filed and the local prosecutor will handle everything.  

• 3 weeks later...