Sat Tv Receiver Boxes

GraemeF

I am just about to install UBC in my villa in Cherngtalay and due to a F*&^k up with my contractor I can only connect a component signal to my screen and I see that UBC receiver boxes only come with s-video and composite out. Does anybody know whether/where I can source a receiver box with component out that can be used with a UBC dish and subscription ?

I dont know of any component out Sat boxes.. Possibly get a video scaler like an iscan ?? Or look into a upscaling receiver / switcher.

You could also look at sourcing a UK or Euro Sat decoder (dreambox is a nice dual tuner model) and then look into a SCART to component adapter. Be aware though you wil be outputting RGB component not YPbPr you may be expecting.. I read somewhere theres a Dreambox firmware that can do this but dont own one, just follow some things about it.

I would be livid at a HT installer that left no legacy connections. Terrible thought process unless ordered to your own spec.

Also you will do much better in the technology forum than locally here. Talk to Ben at H3 to sort out problems.

I think you can put your UBC Card into a Dream Box and use it as normal with the Subscription service. You would have to talk to the people who sell Dream Boxes about that.

thanks. My contractor who put trunking in my wall for the wiring was told to leave room for me to feed through an s-video cable later which he did not so I am stuck with my component connection from the dvd. From the sound of it a dreambox with scart to RGB adaptor and a component switching box is the way to go. Do you know if H3 supply dreambox ?

I dont think they do.. satthai.tv have them..

Theres a guy in Talang who will have them (but will have it flashed to provide hacked channels and want to sell that way.. But his service has been VERY up and down).. jsat or PSI etc should be get you one. They are well known boxes for the hobbyist type.

Does your receiver not do component switching ??

But do check your display can handle RGB of the type that scart has.

Edited by LivinLOS

I dont know how much a good (either auto or IR) component switcher is.. But I suspect it may be cost effective to upgrade your reciever to a model that supports component switching (and 5.1 min !!)..

The component issue is what I am pointing out.. SCART signals are Euro RGB (sometimes called RGBs IIRC) thats not the same a YPbPr component you will see on most deviced here or stateside. A modern / high end display device will probably handle it but you need to verify that before spending money.

thanks but it's my holiday home and I chose a 2.1 system for simplicity and tidiness, not willing to change it as all new. The display is a LG HD ready so should be OK but will try check it out. My contractor is now seeing if he can 'squeeze' another cable into the wall trunking !

I wouldn't panic too much, much better to have just a component cable, than an s-video cable.

The Easiest and Cheapest option would be to route it through A DVD Recorder, S-Video in and Component Out - Although obviously this isn't cheaper than the contractor simply running an S-Video cable in the first place.

Sometimes the DVD recorders even allow upconverting the signal to 480p, which might even produce a better picture.

Thanks Ben, I am trying to get away without buying anymore hardware. Do you know whether I can use a dreambox with a UBC card/dish and then use a scart/component adaptor for connection to tv ?

hello, yes you can use yours ubc card in the dreambox work also with ubc dish, no connexion problem to the tv, but if it's to put a ubc original card better to buy a cheap reciever, look at http://www.jsat.tv/stb.html the peoplebox for 2000bath and if you look more with google you can fund a box for 1000bath

picture, the dreambox 500 back side

post-48454-1183709471_thumb.jpg

But few of those 2000 or 1000 baht boxes have component outs..

Personally I dont see scart much here as its mostly a Euro connection system.

hello if they dont have scart component out you can use an adapter scart-cinch

yes it's mostly a euro connection system.

post-48454-1184521068.jpg

post-48454-1184521586.jpg

post-48454-1184521671.jpg

Edited by kleik

Thanks Ben, I am trying to get away without buying anymore hardware. Do you know whether I can use a dreambox with a UBC card/dish and then use a scart/component adaptor for connection to tv ?

Scart to component dongle is going to be hard to find and probably fairly expensive, if its a cheap TV just use one of the components as a composite feed - or simply lose the component and pull up an s-video through the conduit.

Samsung DVD recorder is around 8,000 baht - I could possibly sell you a brand new unboxed one at 5,000 baht (Samsung) as I have an overstock, I was going to keep it myself but am going xbox360 throughout my new house to stream movies so won't need it. It's unopened.

I should be in that area tommorow, give me a call if you want me to pop by and take a look (advice is free). Number is on our website.

But few of those 2000 or 1000 baht boxes have component outs..

Personally I dont see scart much here as its mostly a Euro connection system.

hello if they dont have scart component out you can use an adapter scart-cinch

yes it's mostly a euro connection system.

However each of what you have linked images of are not component connections !!! Thats a composite and stereo audio connector.

As I have repeatedly said a scart does NOT carry a component YPbPr which is the commonly called 'component video' connection on consumer devices in asia..

Even if you do get a scart to RGB that will be RGB component which is common in Europe (IIRC its sync on composite AKA RGBs).. perhaps a multi input TV will handle it but thats not for sure !! Remember VGA signals which is RGBHV is also a form of RGB sync, as is sync on green (RGsB). These are not all cross compatible at all.

Thanks all. I am going to simply use a splitter on one of the component leads to connect the UBC box by composite. I am not expecting a great picture from UBC anyhow. My only worry is degradation of my dvd picture. Will see how it goes.

I am just about to install UBC in my villa in Cherngtalay and due to a F*&^k up with my contractor I can only connect a component signal to my screen and I see that UBC receiver boxes only come with s-video and composite out. Does anybody know whether/where I can source a receiver box with component out that can be used with a UBC dish and subscription ?

Do you have a AV Amp?

Can you feed the S-vid or composite into the AV Amp and then Component out to the TV?

(Then component from the DVD to the Amp and the same component run to the TV?)

However each of what you have linked images of are not component connections !!! Thats a composite and stereo audio connector.

As I have repeatedly said a scart does NOT carry a component YPbPr which is the commonly called 'component video' connection on consumer devices in asia..

Even if you do get a scart to RGB that will be RGB component which is common in Europe (IIRC its sync on composite AKA RGBs).. perhaps a multi input TV will handle it but thats not for sure !! Remember VGA signals which is RGBHV is also a form of RGB sync, as is sync on green (RGsB). These are not all cross compatible at all.

hello

ok sorry for incorrect terms , you are the expert

but i have a bit the same probleme as Graemef when i come with a european sat reciever with only scart (out), to connect to my lotte tv without s-video and scart (in), im buying one "composite and stereo audio connector", open it and change the position of the cable connection untill sound and video work on my tv. i resolve my problem like that, that's a cheap solution and it work's for my

thank's bye

Edited by kleik