Black Water Found Flowing into Karon Beach

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Karon – Locals are urging authorities to investigate after foul smelling black water was found flowing into the sea at Karon Beach.

On Sunday (February 26th) residents and tourists were playing in the sea at Karon Beach near Nong Harn Lake.

They got out of the sea after lots of black water was found flowing into the sea. The sea water then turned black and smelled badly.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/02/27/black-water-found-flowing-into-karon-beach/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-02-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

Gmap/earth shows the black khlongs flowing into the seas.  

Why it was so nice during covid, and beaches were pristine during high season.  I await the next pandemic to visit again and hit the beaches of Phuket.

Until then ... book a hotel with a pool.

Yep.  Things definitely back to normal now. The ancient and inadequate upstream sewerage treament plants at Karon and at Kalim cannot handle the huge uptick in Russian excrement.

The untreated overflow runs down the klong and out into the sea resulting in toxic fecal coliform counts.

Swim at your own risk.

@Old Crocwill be along shortly to tell me I trash talking his beloved Phuket.

15 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Yep.  Things definitely back to normal now. The ancient and inadequate upstream sewerage treament plants at Karon and at Kalim cannot handle the huge uptick in Russian excrement.

The untreated overflow runs down the klong and out into the sea resulting in toxic fecal coliform counts.

Swim at your own risk.

@Old Crocwill be along shortly to tell me I trash talking his beloved Phuket.

When I saw this thread yesterday, I made a bet with myself that the "dumb" guy would be all over it with his form of verbal fecal matter in the first 5 posts. I lost the bet. He made the 6th post. 

It's not a good look, and it seems almost a perennial thing for a story about black water flowing on to a beach to appear on the forum.

It attracts the same old predictable comments from posters and the same old promises from authorities to overcome the problem and find culpability.

They have upgraded water treatment plants over the years, there is a large plant at Karon, but still this happens at times.

Money needs to be spent to find a permanent solution. 

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

They have upgraded water treatment plants over the years, there is a large plant at Karon, but still this happens at times.

Money needs to be spent to find a permanent solution. 

At times is an understatement.   How about all the time during high tourist season, just worse on some days.  The infrastructure simply can't handle the amount of tourist ... everyday.

That's why the beaches were so pristine during covid.  I'll only visit again, during the next pandemic, as it was lovely before they returned.

As he stated ... swim at your own risk.  At least keep your ears out of the water, and don't swim with any open skin cuts.