Why Thailand has attracted more foreign tourists than Vietnam

snoop1130

1 hour ago, rabang said:

I might agree about visiting but for longer term Thailand must be more convenient.

It's far more convenient.  And Thailand is much safer than Vietnam which is sad for Vietnam.  

They all have their pluses and minuses.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

English language is developing faster in Vietnam. Great food, friendly helpful people, beautiful scenery everywhere.

you would think Thailand would be better in the English proficiency department with its head start in tourism as another poster said, but it isn't really the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markclover said:

Because everyone has to enter Thailand as a tourist by default even they have already been here 10 years and want an ED or work permit.  It would only make sense if they counted the person leaving the country after 30 days and not re entering for at least 30 days.  There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese students entering Thai universities.  They are not tourists.

But if they do that thecstats will be in TATters....????

Notice the headline is in the past tense meaning Vietnam is in the lead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

To be fair, most tourists won't experience the real Thailand like expats do. 

Disillusionment can take months or even years.

Agreed.

Understanding most of the real Thailand has kept me bizzy (sic) these last 10 years.

Still not sure I fully understand it all but I generally love it.

Some of these million dollar 2 week tourists seem to master it all eh?????????

Granted traffic in both Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh City is quite hectic.  However, I cycled (bicycle) to both and found them quite easy to get around.  Taxis are readily available and ALL use a meter.  Certainly what has slowed Vietnam down somewhat is their long history of war with foreign occupiers (WWII Japan, French Occupation & American War).  I've cycled by bicycle to Vietnam from my home in Udon Thani many times and have never regretted the time spent there.  The one area that Thailand has in it's favor is the visa on arrival program for tourists entering the country.  Vietnam is more bureaucratic in this regard.  It's easy to obtain a 30, 45, 60 day visa for Vietnam by visiting one of their many consulates in Thailand and the surrounding countries.  I usually obtain mine from their consulate in Khon Kaen or after crossing into Laos at Savannakhet. 

• Thumbs Up 2