ATM attack! Police reckon machine refused to pay out and bank customer used their own "heavy object"

webfact

cbc05df0afac46df1acdbbb598e6833f27971a15e63f8ca9c18d8ec7587f4578.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Sattahip police on Thailand's eastern seaboard were called after someone attacked a Krung Thai bank ATM with a heavy object.

The screen was smashed and the cash dispenser was unusable. There was no "weapon" at the scene - the PTT gas station on Sukhumvit Road in Bang Saray - so police imagined that the attacker brought it with them.

740210c731c9cc8f735f9e78841a2dfc51efd0bbd6ff45771cf2f47d5ee321db.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

They also suggested it was not a robbery attempt, more likely frustration that the machine had refused to pay out.

Locals said that the machine was often on the blink sometimes just giving customers a slip and having no smaller notes, reported Siam Rath.

Fingerprints were taken, CCTV studied and the bank contacted.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Some of those Diebold machines are awful, many more than a decade old,  and by the time you realize you've got an old unreliable one running slow as molasse - it's hit and miss if you'll get your card back within your lifetime. Bangkok bank are especially bad for keeping old ones in service, that one looks rather new though.  Won't be hard for the bank to find the last user, a few faxes here and there, and telegram to Diebold in the states for some assistance they'll be on it within a decade. Might of been a skimmer on it, or suspected skimmer, in which case maybe he or she just panicked

Edited by Snugs08

1 minute ago, roger101 said:

I always draw my money at a bank during opening hours. That way if I do have a problem I can get it sorted right away.

That's OK if you live near a bank, if you don't, it's a real pain in the ass...

In all the years I have been here, I think only 2 or 3 times have I had an ATM problem, which was sorted by a visit to the bank....????