Best FREE Android app for English voice to Thai text translation

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

True. Thai is not great on Google. So what's better?

Thai is a very difficult language. Most have difficulty with the tonal use of words. Same words with different accents on parts can mean the exact opposite. Slang used a lot. 

When not using google translate I use an app from the play store called simply enough: English Thai Translator. When all else fails I use pictures. Funny thing is is that only a few Thais are ever bothered to use apps when trying to explain things. Really pisses me off how lazy or ignorant they are.

31 minutes ago, ozimoron said:
1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Can it translate sarcasm? 

No, but it does translate stupid. I just checked it.

Tried with english thai app and it did translate it.... but it comes out as satire.

• Haha 1

Google Translate has much improved over the years. It's quite good and best for free. While some avoid Google anything and everything for myriad reasons, I use Google everything for everything and find it all awesome. Search, Translate, Photos and especially Maps. Directions in Maps while walking or driving is fab and essential when navigating unfamiliar territory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

I think that is Libel dude, you have 30 minutes to edit  5555

555 thought police. I will stand my ground at the risk of being branded and deported. Been teaching their kids for nearly 20 years so I have first hand experience.  e.g. --> How old are you?  I'm fine thank you and you? 

Also works the other way around.

I find Googke Translate works best if you:

- Feed it only short sentences at a time.

- As much as possible put the English in Thai sentence structure, leaving out words Thai does not require (articles, many prepositions etc)

- Do a back translation one sentence at a time. This will often identify words that were mistranslated allowing you to try again using a different Englush term.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I have found that sarcasm doesn't translate or travel very well. 

I agree. My comment was itself sarcastic. ????

Not all countries have an elevated system of humour. In many the general level hardly gets above basic slapstick, with lots of screaming and if on TV, with silly sound effects. 

23 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

I have recently started to use SayHi and find it excellent. To which extent it uses Google I don't know, but it has never misunderstood me so far and the translation seems to be quite OK.

"SayHi Translate" 

"An Amazon Company"

This one???

On 3/2/2023 at 12:21 AM, ozimoron said:

You can't download it. It is part of every Android installation by default and is the source of most apps which run on Android.

You can download playstore.

My gf Realme phone came with Chinese apps pre installed, had to download playstore and Uninstal the Chinese apps.

Couldn't Uninstal a few apps that came with the phone, I Put them in a separate folder, out of the way but annoyingly they pop up asking to allow use.

Edited by Cricky

20 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

I have recently started to use SayHi and find it excellent. To which extent it uses Google I don't know, but it has never misunderstood me so far and the translation seems to be quite OK.

Agree about SayHi. Quite good. Like it better than Google translate.

And as it is from the Amazon empire it is obviously not Google related.

It can do voice and text input, gives original text ("understood") and translated text (Thai script) and voice output.

How well the the Thai voice output is understood? I don't have sampled enough experience with that. Also haven't done much about Thai speaker to English.

In addition I use a paid (German/Thai) dictionary which splits the Thai text to words and has perfect pronunciation by native Thai speaker.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

And in the end they will all have their limits.
Example:

"The shop is open from 10:00 to 10:00 every day." :biggrin:

Spoken: "the shop is open from 10'o clock to 10'o clock every day.

Translation to German no better from 10 to 10.

The Thai text used the traditional time of four o'clock in the evening ("si tum") which is 10 PM or 22:00h.