[AIS] Enable Roaming for Calls / SMS but disable for DATA. Possible?

MJCM

17 minutes ago, NextG said:

He gave you TWO instructions. The first already completed. The second you apply on leaving. There was no need to touch any settings on your phone. That was just pointless. 

You are wrong.There is no need to do anything with the sim cards, it is all about settings on the phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, MJCM said:

And I do hope you understand that I would like confirmation of that from AIS before I am actually going to do that because I don't want it to ..... ... my data connections when I arrive back in Thailand.

I was simply confirming who gave you the best advice. If the staff at AIS do anything other than apply the same code, be careful. 
Best you call 1175 if you need confirmation. 

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong.There is no need to do anything with the sim cards, it is all about settings on the phone.

☺️
Another expert ???? 

Look at it this way. There are different models of phone with different operating systems of varying ages. So the OP can go through them and perhaps get data roaming switched off for that eSIM….. or…. the OP can tap in *129*1# and then hit the Dial key…. on any phone. Then regardless of any settings in the phone, the SIM will not supply a data connection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can sympathise with the OP… with so many thinking they know it best, he is justified in feeling unsure. 
But I can assure him that the code given is the official AIS method for blocking ANY data usage. No chance of data leakage if data is turned off at the source. 
If you turn it off on the phone, the SIM itself can still supply data and any accidental switch can eat up your credit in seconds. Applying the code stops this possibility altogether, until you apply the code to turn it back on. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Don't think it's wrong, more of an alternative method. Also, everytime I log into my mobile 'phone account I seem to find more and more features. Problem is it's difficult for some of us to keep up-to-date with technology! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NextG said:

No. Just follow bamnutsak’s suggestion. That is all you need to do. If you disable Roaming, you won’t receive even a signal, let alone SMS. 

I think people are confusing disabling roaming altogether with disabling mobile data roaming. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Don't think it's wrong, more of an alternative method. Also, everytime I log into my mobile 'phone account I seem to find more and more features. Problem is it's difficult for some of us to keep up-to-date with technology! 

I have now in my Phone 2 Sims (my wife is already asking when she gets her phone back ???? ) to test and I can do a lot of tinkering with the settings and also with the Data.

I went through ALL of MyAIS (the App for AIS) and the only thing I can find is how to enable or disable roaming. Nothing about Enabling / Disabling Data.

My wife has now asked her daughter to call AIS and ask if it is even possible to disable DATA only for roaming. Maybe I have to do that *129 thingy, but I am still worried that it f.....s up my data connection when I coming back to Thailand. (I am on a 100GiB yearly plan with AIS)

But I I have already NOW 2 options (regardless of the AIS outcome)

A) Transfer most of the money to my wife's phone number and leave something like 100 THB in it.

B) Use the Phone Settings to disable Data on the AIS sim (when abroad)

Edited by MJCM
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I have now in my Phone 2 Sims (my wife is already asking when she gets her phone back ???? ) to test and I can do a lot of tinkering with the settings and also with the Data.

I went through ALL of MyAIS (the App for AIS) and the only thing I can find is how to enable or disable roaming. Nothing about Enabling / Disabling Data.

My wife has now asked her daughter to call AIS and ask if it is even possible to disable DATA only for roaming. Maybe I have to do that *129 thingy, but I am still worried that it f.....s up my data connection when I coming back to Thailand. (I am on a 100GiB yearly plan with AIS)

But I I have already NOW 2 options (regardless of the AIS outcome)

A) Transfer most of the money to my wife's phone number and leave something like 100 THB in it.

B) Use the Phone Settings to disable Data on the AIS sim (when abroad)

AGAIN, you do not have to do ANY of that. That is just inconvenient and a waste of your time. 
The *129 option will not affect your Marathon package.  It will carry on as normal when you get back, once you re-allow data usage. All the other steps are confusing and superfluous. 

Edited by NextG

Problem seems solved (unless someone disagrees again :cheesy:)

have a look at this setting in my iPhone.

D8FB43BC-3A18-43E8-8625-E119F3625AA9.jpeg.2a635feb9656fae28b3449395af7befe.jpeg

So no need for * numbers ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Why? Care to explain

So it seems my edit to that post was spot on again (someone disagreeing 55555555555)

If you turn it off on the phone, the SIM itself can still supply data and any accidental switch can eat up your credit in seconds. Applying the code stops this possibility altogether, until you apply the code to turn it back on”. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NextG said:

If you turn it off on the phone, the SIM itself can still supply data and any accidental switch can eat up your credit in seconds. Applying the code stops this possibility altogether, until you apply the code to turn it back on”. 

Oke, but looking at the Support page from Apple I linked to doesn't seem to say that so IMHO a ????‍♂️ doesn't cover it but a ????‍♂️ maybe does ????

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Wow…. and you actually think you’re a genius too ????

• Sad 1

Just now, MJCM said:

Oke, but looking at the Support page from Apple I linked to doesn't seem to say that so IMHO a ????‍♂️ doesn't cover it but a ????‍♂️ maybe does ????

You are obviously too smart ????

Just now, NextG said:

Wow…. and you actually think you’re a genius too ????

I am most certainly am not, but maybe it helps someone ????‍♂️ Who knows

Are you a genius then? ????‍♂️

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I am most certainly am not, but maybe it helps someone ????‍♂️ Who knows

Are you a genius then? ????‍♂️

I think most everyone knows how to toggle off data roaming via their phone. But I guarantee that you will keep checking that it is switched off whilst you are abroad. 

Applying the code takes five seconds and then you don’t need to think about it again. 
But if you think that shifting credit to another SIM and checking phone settings works for you, I won’t argue. I think you just lost sight of the fact that people are here to HELP you ????

16 hours ago, NextG said:

☺️
Another expert ???? 

Look at it this way. There are different models of phone with different operating systems of varying ages. So the OP can go through them and perhaps get data roaming switched off for that eSIM….. or…. the OP can tap in *129*1# and then hit the Dial key…. on any phone. Then regardless of any settings in the phone, the SIM will not supply a data connection. 

Most people pick up the nutcracker, not the sledgehammer.

But then they may never have heard of a nutcracker.

16 hours ago, MJCM said:

Bit of a frustrating way to learn. First time I went to the UK with dual sim phone I got a bit confused. Had to go through the user manual to check out the settings to find out what was going on. First thing I do now when I get a new phone.

Nobody is born knowlegeable, and knowledge, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bit of a frustrating way to learn. First time I went to the UK with dual sim phone I got a bit confused. Had to go through the user manual to check out the settings to find out what was going on. First thing I do now when I get a new phone.

Nobody is born knowlegeable, and knowledge, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

You can say that again, but after all that, I am glad that I removed that 2nd SIM from my Phone, those 2 sims were draining my battery.

My guess I am going to take 2 phones with me or borrow an old phone from my friends and not bother with 2 Sims in one phone and thus no need to mess with the settings anymore

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You can say that again, but after all that, I am glad that I removed that 2nd SIM from my Phone, those 2 sims were draining my battery.

My guess I am going to take 2 phones with me or borrow an old phone from my friends and not bother with 2 Sims in one phone and thus no need to mess with the settings anymore

A good idea. I always carry two phones everywhere. I know there are such things as power banks but a phone provides more functions! 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

A good idea. I always carry two phones everywhere. I know there are such things as power banks but a phone provides more functions! 

I can leave the Phone with the THAI Sim at my friends house (I will be staying with them) because that phone will be just for the SMS from my Thai Banks and only take the other phone with me when I go walkabout ????

Re: Power Banks

Funny story

We went to Singapore a couple of years ago and I saw a 10k mAh power bank in a sale (something like half price was a real good price (even cheaper then in Thailand)).

My wife said "We not need" but I bought it anyway. And in the end who is using that Power Bank the most???? Yes you guessed it right, My Wife :cheesy:

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A bit strange. My phone is a budget dual sim android and most of the time I have had a sim and micro SD. Since I came back from the UK last Aug the UK sim is still in the phone and enabled, not seen any difference in battery usage which is generally quite low, about 20% a day.

Maybe Iphones are a bit different.

Interesting. When I went back to the UK last Summer I bought a Smarty SIM which has a monthly contract so I simply didn't pay anymore after I returned to Thailand. Is your UK SIM a pre-pay? 

• Like 1