[AIS] Enable Roaming for Calls / SMS but disable for DATA. Possible?

MJCM

10 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Enabling roaming doesn't cost anything. Ensure you turn off 'mobile data' and don't answer any calls. SMS is always free to receive.

Will have 2 sims in the phone so that is why I want to disable it on the AIS sim

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

I would call 1175 if you still in country, or email their customer service: callcenter at ais .. ..

to get 100% correct answer.

Yeah that was my next step but maybe the “sleuths” on AN already know how to do it ????

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

I will have 2 sims installed. 

one for Thailand (esim) and 1 for home country and thus would like when abroad to disable the internet possibility for the AIS sim. 

On my dual SIM android 'phone under settings - Dual SIM settings - you can select which SIM to use for default mobile data and also the default calling SIM. Can also completely turn off either (or both) SIM's. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

On my dual SIM android 'phone under settings - Dual SIM settings - you can select which SIM to use for default mobile data and also the default calling SIM. Can also completely turn off either (or both) SIM's. 

I fully understand that, but maybe you know how expensive data roaming is. 

i will use the internet (data) connection from my home country sim but who knows when it fails that it doesn’t fall back to the AIS sim, and that is what I want to PREVENT. 

• Like 2

I could of course disable the whole AIS sim but that would also prevent me from receiving SMS messages from the banks (my main reason why I enable roaming in the 1st place)

An alternative of course is carrying 2 phones with me. 1 home country number and 1 Thai number but I would like to prevent that (but will keep it as a possibility)

The long winter nights must utterly fly by.................................................

(actually am more amused that after 18 years am considered a newbie underneath user name lol)

Edited by Chivas
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chivas said:

The long winter nights must utterly fly by.................................................

(actually am more amused that after 18 years am considered a newbie lol)

That is because the forum sw is reindexing all the posts (already is taking 2-3 weeks). 

But I fail to see what that has to do with AIS and Roaming ????

18 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I fully understand that, but maybe you know how expensive data roaming is. 

i will use the internet (data) connection from my home country sim but who knows when it fails that it doesn’t fall back to the AIS sim, and that is what I want to PREVENT. 

That is exactly what I do when in UK. If your home country SIM loses signal your phone will not switch to using Thai SIM for mobile data.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can turn data off within the  network: AIS customers can turn on and off mobile data via SIM card by dialing *129*1# (turn off) and *129*2# (turn on).

You can also turn data off within the phone's OS/menu.

You can, and have, enabled international roaming Enable IR: *125# SEND

The AIS app, MyAIS, probably allows all this stuff and more?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

You can, and have, enabled international roaming Enable IR: *125# SEND

That I already did. See post #1

6 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

The AIS app, MyAIS, probably allows all this stuff and more?

I have been looking in the app but I can’t find it 

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

You can turn data off within the  network: AIS customers can turn on and off mobile data via SIM card by dialing *129*1# (turn off) and *129*2# (turn on)

Does that work for roaming I don’t want to switch it off now because I have a dataplan with AIS (within Thailand)

Edited by MJCM
Spelling

9 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That is exactly what I do when in UK. If your home country SIM loses signal your phone will not switch to using Thai SIM for mobile data.

Will have to experiment with it, but I would still be happy if I just can disable the Roaming internet.

I still have time before I fly and will visit an AIS shop and ask

40 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

This is how I do it too. I just set mobile data to my other SIM, and then switch it back to AIS when I get back to Thailand.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

This is how I do it too. I just set mobile data to my other SIM, and then switch it back to AIS when I get back to Thailand.

The OP is concerned that should his home country SIM lose signal, his 'phone will switch to his Thai SIM and use mobile data at expensive roaming rates. I'm certain that 'phones do not do that. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Fugitive said:

The OP is concerned that should his home country SIM lose signal, his 'phone will switch to his Thai SIM and use mobile data at expensive roaming rates. I'm certain that 'phones do not do that. 

Could be but do you know how expensive it is for data roaming. 

could always of course transfer the balance to my wife’s phone before leaving ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, norbra said:

This is pretty self explanatory , roaming changes nothing.

I have AIS for calls sms

DTAC for data

Screenshot_20230302_135859_com.huawei.android.dsdscardmanager.jpg

It says default for Mobile data thus not that it will be not enabled if your Sim 2 somehow fails to make a connection

But maybe that is indeed far fetched ????

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It says default for Mobile data thus not that it will be not enabled if your Sim 2 somehow fails to make a connection

But maybe that is indeed far fetched ????

My phone (Xiaomi based on Android 12) has a further Data Roaming setting....."International Roaming" which can be set to "Never".  That probably exists in your phone somewhere as well and will do what you are looking to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

My phone (Xiaomi based on Android 12) has a further Data Roaming setting....."International Roaming" which can be set to "Never".  That probably exists in your phone somewhere as well and will do what you are looking to do.

I have an Iphone

• Sad 1

Just now, Polar Bear said:

You set this in the same place on my phone. Open the data settings, then choose the option you want in SIM switching. 

Data.png

SIM.png

thx

Unfortunately I have an iPhone will try it with the sim from my wife’s phone if that works (but that is also AIS????