[AIS] Enable Roaming for Calls / SMS but disable for DATA. Possible?

MJCM

8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

You set this in the same place on my phone. Open the mobile data settings. 

Data.png

SIM.png

Then choose the option you want in SIM switching.

Thanks for this. There's no 'SIM card switching' option on my 'phone. Therefore, I'm sure it won't!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I will be flying abroad so I need roaming for my Thai AIS sim

So turn IR on. *125

And turn off mobile data within the network *129

Are you prepaid or postpaid?

All providers offer decent data roaming add-on packages. They are good to get you online as soon as you land, IME, and before you find a local SIM.

Edited by bamnutsak

Just now, MJCM said:

But that deserves another question.

how will line / whatsapp react to this change as they are registered to a phone number or doesn’t it matter? Anyone know?

They will work fine.  They do not care where the data connection comes from, wifi, SIM or a piece of wet-string.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

So turn it on.

And turn off mobile data within the network *129

Are you prepaid or postpaid?

All providers offer decent data roaming add-on packages. They are good to get you online as soon as you land, IME, and before you find a local SIM.

Roaming is alreadt turned on see post #1

prepaid.

decent? 899 Thb for about a week or something like that. 

I will have a sim card as soon as I arrive/ land as friends (who are picking me up) have already bought and registered it for me)

i only need roaming to receive sms from my banks in Thailand, if I did not needed that I would disable the whole AIS SIM and this topic did not exist 

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

I will have 2 sims installed. 

one for Thailand (esim) and 1 for home country and thus would like when abroad to disable the internet possibility for the AIS sim. 

Data is to do with the phone rather than the sim.

I do exactly what you say with a dual sim phone. In Thailand I always have Mobile data switched off but when I go to the UK I buy a data package and turn Mobile data on, you then get the option to choose which sim card to use for mobile data.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I have enabled roaming via [AIS] *125 but I wonder if I can disable Roaming only for DATA and leave it enabled for Calls / SMS?

Thx

You misunderstood the meaning of roaming.

it allows connecting to the overseas network for you to make calls on the overseas network and receive data on the overseas networks.

Turn off roaming and you will still receive calls and SMS messages as normal, you will just not make calls using the Thai phone number or make SMS messages from the Thai phone number

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Roaming is alreadt turned on see post #1

prepaid.

decent? 899 Thb for about a week or something like that. 

I will have a sim card as soon as I arrive/ land as friends (who are picking me up) have already bought and registered it for me)

i only need roaming to receive sms from my banks in Thailand, if I did not needed that I would disable the whole AIS SIM and this topic did not exist 

Just follow the suggestion of bamnutsak in utilising the *129*1# suggestion on leaving. You don’t need to do anything else. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

it allows connecting to the overseas network for you to make calls on the overseas network and receive data on the overseas networks.

Turn off roaming and you will still receive calls and SMS messages as normal, you will just not make calls using the Thai phone number or make SMS messages from the Thai phone number

Aha so if I just disable Roaming then the whole Topic would be obsolete as I still can receive calls / sms via my Thai (AIS) number BUT not be able to make them.

And that would be for the Data Connection (via AIS) the same.

Correct?

1 minute ago, NextG said:

Just follow the suggestion of bamnutsak in utilising the *129*1# suggestion on leaving. You don’t need to do anything else. 

Read POST #1 ALREADY DONE!

Edit: Why do people only read the Topic Title and NOT the post below it ????

Edited by MJCM

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No, you have misunderstood ????

No Roaming; no SMS or calls. 

Just now, MJCM said:

Aha so if I just disable Roaming then the whole Topic would be obsolete as I still can receive calls / sms via my Thai (AIS) number BUT not be able to make them.

And that would be for the Data Connection (via AIS) the same.

Correct?

No. Just follow bamnutsak’s suggestion. That is all you need to do. If you disable Roaming, you won’t receive even a signal, let alone SMS. 

No. Just follow bamnutsak’s suggestion. That is all you need to do. If you disable Roaming, you won’t receive even a signal, let alone SMS. 

ALREADY DONE POST #1

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Read POST #1 ALREADY DONE!

No need to use upper case; that’s shouting. I’m just telling you that is ALL that you needed to do in the first place. Enable Roaming *125/Disable data *129

The rest is just unnecessary noise. 

• Confused 1

Just now, NextG said:

No need to use upper case; that’s shouting. I’m just telling you that is ALL that you needed to do in the first place. Enable Roaming *125/Disable data *129

The rest is just unnecessary noise. 

You keep saying that I need to enable roaming and I refer you to Post #1 there I wrote that I enabled it already!

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are wrong I still get sms messages and receive calls.

No Roaming; no sending SMS or making calls

Nope. You have an iPhone. iMessages are different. 
No Roaming means no signal at all. 

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Guys you fight it out yourselves.

I will still visit the AIS shop and see if I can disable DATA but I already have some kind of solution build into my Phone!

You just said that you already disabled data!

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You keep saying that I need to enable roaming and I refer you to Post #1 there I wrote that I enabled it already!

Nope. Read again. I just reiterated that there were only two things that you needed to do. So if you have already enabled Roaming, then apply the code to disable data when you are about to take off. This because you want to use your data up until you leave. 
Take a breath or two and calm down. 
You don’t need to touch any setting within your phone. Got it now?

Edited by NextG

Just now, NextG said:

You just said that you already disabled data!

I said that I already have somewhat of a solution via my Phone! I do not have the actual sim from abroad YET so I can't test.

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Nope. Read again. I just reiterated that there were only two things that you needed to do. So if you have already enabled Roaming, then apply the code to disable data when you about to take off. 
Take a breath or two and calm down. 
You don’t need to touch any setting within your phone. Got it now?

I am going to the AIS shop to make sure before I <deleted> up my data connections!

Edited by MJCM

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I said that I already have somewhat of a solution via my Phone! I do not have the actual sim from abroad YET so I can't test.

You are giving me a headache… what on earth has a SIM from abroad to do with anything?

You are simply disabling the ability of the AIS to supply a data connection. So it will only have the ability for calls and SMS. That is what you asked. 

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I am going to the AIS shop to make sure before I <deleted> up my data connections!

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

ALREADY DONE POST #1

He gave you TWO instructions. The first already completed. The second you apply on leaving. There was no need to touch any settings on your phone. That was just pointless. 

You are giving me a headache… what on earth has a SIM from abroad to do with anything?

You are simply disabling the ability of the AIS to supply a data connection. So it will only have the ability for calls and SMS. That is what you asked. 

And I do hope you understand that I would like confirmation of that from AIS before I am actually going to do that because I don't want it to ..... ... my data connections when I arrive back in Thailand.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

And I do hope you understand that I would like confirmation of that from AIS before I am actually going to do that because I don't want it to ..... ... my data connections when I arrive back in Thailand.

Then why ask here at all??

You have been given the correct information. If you go against it, you are more likely to mess things up. 
bamnutsak gave you the correct method; *129*1# to stop Internet just on that SIM. *129*2# to switch back on your return. It’s very simple and it’s exactly the thing that you need. 
Unfortunately most others didn’t realise that and gave you a lot of confusing advice. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

Then why ask here at all??

You have been given the correct information. If you go against it, you are more likely to mess things up. 

<withdrawn>

Edited by MJCM