[AIS] Enable Roaming for Calls / SMS but disable for DATA. Possible?

MJCM

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A bit strange. My phone is a budget dual sim android and most of the time I have had a sim and micro SD. Since I came back from the UK last Aug the UK sim is still in the phone and enabled, not seen any difference in battery usage which is generally quite low, about 20% a day.

Maybe Iphones are a bit different.

I guess as you said, maybe because mine is an iPhone? ????

I really noticed it. It went down (with all background apps closed) something like 3% within a half an hour. But that said also the Battery is now only at 90% remaining peak capacity. Already looking for a new Phone, but no idea what to get yet.

But not an issue, my friends have an old iPhone 7 which I can use and that is also the phone they tested (already bought) the new SIM card with.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MJCM said:

You can say that again, but after all that, I am glad that I removed that 2nd SIM from my Phone, those 2 sims were draining my battery.

My guess I am going to take 2 phones with me or borrow an old phone from my friends and not bother with 2 Sims in one phone and thus no need to mess with the settings anymore

Both sims have to registered with each mobile mast so that will go towards draining your battery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Both sims have to registered with each mobile mast so that will go towards draining your battery

Yeah that now I understand as well, but the drain was significant but I think it was mainly due that the Battery in my phone is not 100% any more.

Good that I tested it before leaving ????

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

Most people pick up the nutcracker, not the sledgehammer.

But then they may never have heard of a nutcracker.

Which is the sledgehammer?

Moving credit from one SIM to the other AND going through the options to block data roaming via the settings on the phone or simply tapping in a code which takes five seconds?

I suggest that tapping in the code is quick and foolproof. No need to waste time shifting credit and learning the settings on any phone. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A bit strange. My phone is a budget dual sim android and most of the time I have had a sim and micro SD. Since I came back from the UK last Aug the UK sim is still in the phone and enabled, not seen any difference in battery usage which is generally quite low, about 20% a day.

Maybe Iphones are a bit different.

I have a Motorola, and I have a UK Tesco pre-pay and my Thai AIS SIM. I usually have them both enabled, but sometimes I have the UK one disabled and the difference in battery drain isn't noticeable to me. Maybe eSims are different?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

I guess as you said, maybe because mine is an iPhone?

It is extremely unlikely to be an iPhone issue. It is almost certainly a location problem. 

If you are in a location where you get a strong signal your phone will use significantly less power than if your signal strength is low, then the phone has to use more power to boost the radio’s enough to contact the tower.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

OP shoiuld not rely on settings to get what he wants and using the code is safer IMO.  Going in the other direction for me I experienced what he is trying to avoid and get over it as described in this recent post:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1280019-keep-uk-sim-switched-on-or-not/#comment-17774666

I must look to see if there is a similar code for O2 UK to disable data as it would be more convenient than my method, but it was not brought up when I spoke to them about my issue.

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is extremely unlikely to be an iPhone issue. It is almost certainly a location problem. 

If you are in a location where you get a strong signal your phone will use significantly less power than if your signal strength is low, then the phone has to use more power to boost the radio’s enough to contact the tower.

Thx. I looked at the Battery Tab under settings and it says that the Battery can now only hold a max charge of 90%. So I guess that is also an influence? 

But no issues for me any more because I decided that I will be using 2 phones when I am abroad.

The Phone with AIS SIM will be connected 24/7 to Wifi as it will stay at my Friends house and I will take the other phone (with the local SIM) with me when going out.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx. I looked at the Battery Tab under settings and it says that the Battery can now only hold a max charge of 90%. So I guess that is also an influence? 

No, not really. 
The storage capacity of the battery certainly impacts the time available between charges.

That the radios may require more power to contact the cell tower reduces the time available between charges.

That (for example) the AIS cell tower has good strength while the DTAC tower is either in a poor location for you or is much farther away, will mean that if your AIS & DTAC numbers are active you will get worse battery life than if only the AIS number is active.

However the fact that you have two active numbers by itself makes little difference.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting. When I went back to the UK last Summer I bought a Smarty SIM which has a monthly contract so I simply didn't pay anymore after I returned to Thailand. Is your UK SIM a pre-pay? 

Yes it is Giffgaff. Only need to make a call or text every 6 months to keep account active. When I go to the UK I buy a 30 day data package, several options to choose from.

I had Lebara before and lost 2 sims as they are ony 12 weeks allowance on useage.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, treetops said:

OP shoiuld not rely on settings to get what he wants and using the code is safer IMO.  Going in the other direction for me I experienced what he is trying to avoid and get over it as described in this recent post:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1280019-keep-uk-sim-switched-on-or-not/#comment-17774666

I must look to see if there is a similar code for O2 UK to disable data as it would be more convenient than my method, but it was not brought up when I spoke to them about my issue.

You have only addressed mobile data. Mobile data and data roaming are normally 2 different settings. Using a UK sim in Thailand would be a case of data roaming.

If your phone does not address data roaming then you may well have to look at something else.

54 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You have only addressed mobile data. Mobile data and data roaming are normally 2 different settings. Using a UK sim in Thailand would be a case of data roaming.

If your phone does not address data roaming then you may well have to look at something else.

56 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do you now agree that it would simply be better all round to switch data off on the SIM completely in one go, rather than fiddle around with settings on the phone and perhaps get it wrong?

Five seconds and peace of mind or toggle phone settings and hope no accidents happen…. 
I guess you don’t want to lose face and won’t ever admit to being wrong. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, treetops said:

O2 can switch mobile data off and on for you. Surprised they didn’t tell you that. There isn’t a USSD code for that AFAIK. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, NextG said:

No, you have misunderstood ????

No Roaming; no SMS or calls. 

To keep beating the horse. Incorrect for AIS

there is International Roaming Service and International Call Service they are independent 

turn of international roaming and you can continue with international calls

A42CC356-817F-467D-8C57-0A9DEAE130F9.thumb.png.ef5d75f1a74975383876c3009db47c2c.png
other providers may have different policies 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Do you now agree that it would simply be better all round to switch data off on the SIM completely in one go, rather than fiddle around with settings on the phone and perhaps get it wrong?

Five seconds and peace of mind or toggle phone settings and hope no accidents happen…. 
I guess you don’t want to lose face and won’t ever admit to being wrong. 

Why should anyone be concerned about 'losing face' because they do something slightly differently to you?

I'd rather press one button in settings and switch the data to the SIM I want to use. I don't have to change anything else. I don't have to alter any other settings, and in over 10 years of doing this, it hasn't gone wrong. 

For me, it's a lot easier than fiddling round with USSD codes, especially as I have multiple SIM cards for multiple different countries, so I'd have to track down the codes for each (if it even has one), and be sure I was using the correct one for each SIM. There are many more opportunities to get it wrong there, and as you say, accidents do happen.

If someone doesn't have that setting option, or if they do but they don't know how to use their own phone, then maybe that's not the best solution for them. But for me, learning how to use a simple setting on my handset is a much better option. But if you prefer to play around with USSD codes, go for it. Neither of us is right or wrong. It's just two different ways of achieving exactly the same outcome. Don't take it so personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

If mobile data for a particular SIM is disabled then it will not connect whatever the roaming settings for that SIM are (I have roaming enabled).  That is the optimum solution I can see as setting a SIM as the data sim does not stop the other one from using data, as described in the thread I linked to.

It appears from NextG's post that O2 can do that for me, but using a code as AIS do would be so much more convenient and gives the assurance that a change in the settings doesn't.

15 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Why should anyone be concerned about 'losing face' because they do something slightly differently to you?

I'd rather press one button in settings and switch the data to the SIM I want to use. I don't have to change anything else. I don't have to alter any other settings, and in over 10 years of doing this, it hasn't gone wrong. 

For me, it's a lot easier than fiddling round with USSD codes, especially as I have multiple SIM cards for multiple different countries, so I'd have to track down the codes for each (if it even has one), and be sure I was using the correct one for each SIM. There are many more opportunities to get it wrong there, and as you say, accidents do happen.

If someone doesn't have that setting option, or if they do but they don't know how to use their own phone, then maybe that's not the best solution for them. But for me, learning how to use a simple setting on my handset is a much better option. But if you prefer to play around with USSD codes, go for it. Neither of us is right or wrong. It's just two different ways of achieving exactly the same outcome. Don't take it so personally.

From where did you appear? I wrote to sandyf; who claimed that I was wrong. 
Apart from that, my advice was for the OP, not you. If you wrote that you had multiple SIM cards, the advice MIGHT have been different. Now you can go back into your box. 

17 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

To keep beating the horse. Incorrect for AIS

there is International Roaming Service and International Call Service they are independent 

turn of international roaming and you can continue with international calls

A42CC356-817F-467D-8C57-0A9DEAE130F9.thumb.png.ef5d75f1a74975383876c3009db47c2c.png
other providers may have different policies 

https://www.ais.th/12call/en/service-AIN.html

International Call Service is for outgoing calls from Thailand. Nice try, but a fail. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, treetops said:

That is the optimum solution I can see as setting a SIM as the data sim does not stop the other one from using data, as described in the thread I linked to.

That description was incomplete but you are free to believe what suits.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

That description was incomplete but you are free to believe what suits.

Maybe you misinterpreted part of it but the solution offered seems to be the easiest and most reliable.  Another solution is below for O2 UK users that may apply to other networks too.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:30 AM, NextG said:

O2 can switch mobile data off and on for you. Surprised they didn’t tell you that. There isn’t a USSD code for that AFAIK. 

I think I can do it from the app which seems just as good and easy as a USSD code.

• Thumbs Up 1