Avoid going to IDC

8 minutes ago, Tayida said:

If can ask. How you get caught? 

A language school where I was working got raided by both immigration and the labor department. Luckily, I wasn't caught working so they only got me for not having a visa (I actually didn't have a passport either as that had been sold off by my ex, who by that time was in prison). 

Fortunately, the immigration law wasn't quite as strict back then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The obvious problem with corruption is that there's no official price list and no guarantee that you'll be able to bribe your way out if caught. This 90,000 baht tale, taken at face value, merely resembles one data point of anecdotal evidence - you cannot "bank" on the same outcome.

A better approach would be to take a smaller amount of money (20,000 baht max overstay fine plus ticket out) to surrender at the airport before getting caught. The outcome is then pretty much guaranteed - no IDC, but blacklisting depending on the length of the overstay. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

It is a very serious thing in the eyes of Thai Immigration, you Bozo ????

Indeed  it is, that's what they get paid for, and that's why they have an interest in peoples immigration status. 

You however........

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

Took me quite a while to get there too. I stayed at the one on Suan Plu for a couple of weeks or so about 36 years ago. Hope they've upgraded the accomodation since then. 

you must of really <deleted> someone off as 30+ years ago they were very easy going about over stay

On 3/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, Bday Prang said:

" Which is a very serious thing "   ????????????     You sound like another retired teacher

I'll never understand why people like you get their panties in such a bunch about other peoples' immigration status.

Unless you work for the immigration department it really isn't something to concern yourself about at all, is it ? 

Or are you indulging in a rather perverse form of virtue signalling?     

I arrest you

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

you must of really <deleted> someone off as 30+ years ago they were very easy going about over stay

Being arrested without a passport or visa, and probably suspected of illegal working, was a serious matter even 30+ years ago. I note that the whole situation was resolved within a couple of weeks, with no blacklisting. That supports your notion that they were much more lenient at that time, but that does not mean you could do what you liked with no consequences.

• Like 1