Filipino not allowed to leave Manilla

daejung

Hello,

A friend of mine travelled from Manilla to Bangkok today. He was travelling with a filipino friend but at passport control in Manila, his filipino friend was not allowed to leave the Philippines.

They both don't know why. Immigration queue being separate for my friend, a foreigner, and his friend, a filipino, he couldn't ask why.

How can it be possible ?

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could be any number of reasons  , like not having a Thai visa , he's committed a crime in the Philippines or any number of reasons why

No need to get a visa for a filipino and he committed no crime

I found this : https://www.philembassy.org.nz/latest/advisory/departure-formalities-for-filipinos-exiting-the-philippines-qdl-2022-09

I remember when we had Filipinos working for us in Africa we had to issue letters for them which they then used to get permission to leave/work out of the country.

Lots of Filipinos working/traveling abroad, I think it was to to be sure that they are not being take advantage of.

• Like 1

Has the friend ever been out of the Philippines before? Immigration is very tough on first time travellers. If they can show return flights, hotel bookings, itineraries etc, it will usually help. 

If they were going for a job, they would need to have been registered as Overseas Foreign Workers - if they don't have this status then they need to demonstrate without doubt that they are genuine tourists. 

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Has the friend ever been out of the Philippines before? Immigration is very tough on first time travellers. If they can show return flights, hotel bookings, itineraries etc, it will usually help. 

If they were going for a job, they would need to have been registered as Overseas Foreign Workers - if they don't have this status then they need to demonstrate without doubt that they are genuine tourists. 

Yes it was his first travel out of the Philippines. He was not looking for a job, he was just going to Bangkok for a short holiday.

My other half is Filipina and she has to have a letter from me to travel anywhere out if Manila.
She also has copies of our rental agreement and bank statements.
They will always question her before she leaves.
I understand the reasons for it but it's annoying sometimes.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:32 PM, FreddieMercury said:

My other half is Filipina and she has to have a letter from me to travel anywhere out if Manila.
She also has copies of our rental agreement and bank statements.
They will always question her before she leaves.
I understand the reasons for it but it's annoying sometimes.

Not only out of  the country ?
Inside the country, outside of Manilla too?

On 3/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, daejung said:

Yes it was his first travel out of the Philippines. He was not looking for a job, he was just going to Bangkok for a short holiday.

It's been that way for many years. Unless he / she can prove a relationship which he can't because he just went their then she has to prove she is not being coerced or trafficked. Her statement to that effect is insufficient. First time travel overseas is particularly difficult, especially if she is young.

How is it possible?  If it happened as you say, then it's possible.  Why did it happen? Who knows.  Maybe they thought he was coming to Thailand for work and didn't like that idea.  In the past, getting Thai tourist visas in Manila has been difficult.  The situation sounds unfair to me.