Harry and Meghan weigh up coronation invite response

Scott

Harry and Meghan arrive at Jubilee Thanksgiving service

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, will be invited to King Charles III's coronation, a statement from the couple suggests.

They say they have been emailed about the coronation, on 6 May, but will not confirm whether they plan to attend.

It is understood that some prospective guests are being asked to save the date ahead of official invitations that will be sent later.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64854803

BBC.jpg

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

With the almost relentless slew of negative stories about them, I am starting to wonder if they are being set up by those with an interest in portraying them as ungrateful, demanding etc. 

What better way to shore up support for a rather unappetising king to be, than to cast his wayward son as an unpatriotic, malignant threat to the very concept of Britishness - Harry is, after all, dispensable...

Hmm, except that, the vast majority of those negative stories come, literally, from Harry himself.

He is an enthusiastic starter of the many threads which have proved negative.

• Like 1

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Not "their' house. only leased. Probably for tax reasons othher wise it would be please stay free. 

The 'blips' I saw, stated 'gifted' to, so sounds like given to.  But hey, really could care less.  Royal soap opera for the DailyMail/Mirror/Star rags, and royal worshippers.

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Hmm, except that, the vast majority of those negative stories come, literally, from Harry himself.

He is an enthusiastic starter of the many threads which have proved negative.

I am not sure I agree with you. Ever since he and Meghan became a couple, the press have been critical. The hypocrisy of the mail and express especially has been highlighted previously, but they plough on relentlessly with their campaign.

It's no secret that the royal family have used the press - and been used my the press - to punish those who step out of line. I believe this is another example of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not sure I agree with you. Ever since he and Meghan became a couple, the press have been critical. The hypocrisy of the mail and express especially has been highlighted previously, but they plough on relentlessly with their campaign.

It's no secret that the royal family have used the press - and been used my the press - to punish those who step out of line. I believe this is another example of it.

I must confess that I don't really follow the Mail or the Express. From memory I thought the tabloid press were remarkably supportive of Prince Harry and Meghan at the time of their marriage.

I wonder whether their present attitude is reactive - the result of the pairs antics, or proactive - the cause of their antics?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

They're probably busily filming the opening of the invitation, then Meghan crying on the floor (left eye only) for the next Netflix series.

Hopefully they stay away. 

Chris Rock did a great stand up hitpiece on this pair of Charlatans. Very amusing. Even black Americans have grown tired of the constant merching of imaginary victimhood. 

34 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I must confess that I don't really follow the Mail or the Express. From memory I thought the tabloid press were remarkably supportive of Prince Harry and Meghan at the time of their marriage.

I wonder whether their present attitude is reactive - the result of the pairs antics, or proactive - the cause of their antics?

This article gives an indication of how 'unfairly' Meghan has been treated by the press. Rather than courting such negativity, could it be that the press (and the palace?) are out to punish them?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Credo said:

Finally, someone who gets and understands the situation that faced Harry and his mother.  In his book, he lays out well some examples.   Whether the Palace actively leaked stories or not is debatable, but at a minimum, they used Harry's follies to deflect from the bad press of other Royals, such as the anger and distasteful relationship between Camilla and Charles.   

Here's an interesting article about Mark Holland, a former press secretary of Charles. Smears, leaks and innuendo seems to be standard tools of the trade for such positions.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/24/prince-harry-says-he-was-collateral-damage-in-camillas-pr-ascent

He did, for example, start the task of convincing the British public that Camilla was more than just a home wrecking adulteress, and that she was actually someone we should consider our better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

Got to hand it to the PR people who look after the younger Windsor couple's affairs. They do a great job keeping their names in the headlines.

The internet must cause them concern though - the UK newspapers may have obligingly looked away, but UK social media was abuzz with articles such as this last year:

Searches for "pegging" went up 400 percent after a salacious rumor started circulating about Prince William's alleged sexual predilections

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems they received an email about the coronation. It seems it wasn't an invitation.

Maybe it's a letter like: Dear son, I thought about inviting you. But then I thought about your wife, and I changed my mind... 

That is also an email about the coronation.

Just saying 

Agree.

I expect protocol demands that second in line to the throne receives an invite, but I'll bet it's not expected to be accepted, or at least that she doesn't attend.