Hotel rates 'all time high' in Thailand, no alcohol for Buddhist holiday : Tim Newton Today - March 6

webfact

screenshot_19368.jpg

Haven't you noticed... hotel rates soaring, especially in the hot tourist spots, it's a special Buddhist holiday today so no alcohol on sale until midnight (Mon 6 March), more shootings in Thailand's Deep South, China's growth rate for 2023, and Japan's concerns over alarming dropping birth rate.

First edition of 'Grumpy Old Men (in Thailand)' with Steve Rosse here...
 • Grumpy Old Men

Big thanks to our ongoing support 5 Star Marine in Phuket for daily private tours to the islands...
https://5starmarinephuket.com

Tim Newton Today is a daily, independent look at Thai and south East Asian regional news.

Hotel prices here soaring....

I think they're great value for money, just stayed in a 70sqm suite at Citrus Suites soi 6 BKK for 3.5K ($100) a night - bargain.

Recently been up to Chiang Khong, Nan, Phayoa, CR, no hotel more than 1500 and all very reasonable.

• Like 1

It is basically easy... you can ask for something what you want, but the consumer is paying what he/she think it is worth for him/her. Too expensive you don't sell a lot.. too cheap you will sell but no or not enough profit....Mostly buyer and seller find each other in he middle somewhere...But if the airline prices are also getting more expensive the hotels will  have to lower their roomrates.... And bargains are always to be found somewhere... 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Hotel prices here soaring....

I think they're great value for money, just stayed in a 70sqm suite at Citrus Suites soi 6 BKK for 3.5K ($100) a night - bargain.

Recently been up to Chiang Khong, Nan, Phayoa, CR, no hotel more than 1500 and all very reasonable.

As long as someone thinks it is “great value,” someone is willing to pay and there is no incentive to lower prices. 

42 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

It is basically easy... you can ask for something what you want, but the consumer is paying what he/she think it is worth for him/her. Too expensive you don't sell a lot.. too cheap you will sell but no or not enough profit....Mostly buyer and seller find each other in he middle somewhere...But if the airline prices are also getting more expensive the hotels will  have to lower their roomrates.... And bargains are always to be found somewhere... 

Exactly.  Economics 101, laws of supply and demand. I don’t think airline and hotel hotel prices have anything to do with each other. One can’t control the other. The thirst for travel hasn’t subsided yet after the pandemic. I think airline prices will remain sky high. I am paying at least 50% more than prepandemic for flights! It won’t stop me from traveling but it stings.

59 minutes ago, hioctane said:

As long as someone thinks it is “great value,” someone is willing to pay and there is no incentive to lower prices. 

Exactly.  Economics 101, laws of supply and demand. I don’t think airline and hotel hotel prices have anything to do with each other. One can’t control the other. The thirst for travel hasn’t subsided yet after the pandemic. I think airline prices will remain sky high. I am paying at least 50% more than prepandemic for flights! It won’t stop me from traveling but it stings.

Lufthansa just announced they are back to pre pandemic profit. No surprise considering their fares.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

There is a trend at this moment to discourage flying.. I hear it Europe too.. promoting the trains and higher taxes on airports....all for the climate change

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

There is a trend at this moment to discourage flying.. I hear it Europe too.. promoting the trains and higher taxes on airports....all for the climate change

Continental Europe I expect.... not UK where train fares have just risen over 5%, on already high prices, and service is abysmal with dirty, unpunctual trains... when they are not on strike. 

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

The prices i have been paying i think are very fair for what i've been getting.

We've just returned from visiting several places in the South, we found hotel prices to be far higher than anything we've ever seen here before. Some are starting to approach levels that only the top 5% of Thai's will be able to afford, there's a disconnect between pricing and how much the average Thai can afford. Most western tourists will see it differently I imagine but they probably wont have a local benchmark to compare against plus they wont understand historic pricing.

• Thumbs Up 1