Exterior sunshading - why not common in Thailand?

CLW

2 hours ago, proton said:

Never understand why houses here have so many widows all over the place, they are always covered up with curtains anyway most of the time. Windows just let in the heat and noise

You clearly haven’t seen well designed houses, our house has a rather significant area of glass, about 62 sqm, certainly a few of them allow some heat for a few hours in the morning however they don’t allow noise in, rather they provide excellent noise reduction along with heat exclusion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You clearly haven’t seen well designed houses, our house has a rather significant area of glass, about 62 sqm, certainly a few of them allow some heat for a few hours in the morning however they don’t allow noise in, rather they provide excellent noise reduction along with heat exclusion.

Do you have double glazing windows?

1 hour ago, unheard said:

If you try to price them (basically western prices)...

The reason why they're rarely installed in Thailand.

Secondary glaze is what I will do if it gets any hotter.

We have wood frame Georgian type windows which I like.

Why would you expect them to be significantly cheaper in Thailand than the west? 

And that's a reason not to use it? Initial cost? What about the energy savings and benefits of sound insulation?

Of course you can build a <deleted> cheap Thai house with 5cm walls, no soundproofing or insulation and single pane windows. But what's the quality of living in there....

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

Of course you can build a <deleted> cheap Thai house with 5cm walls, no soundproofing or insulation and single pane windows

Come on, that is luxury 1.5mm corrugated steel walls, and why waste money on glass when you can have traditional wood frames with shutters that allow almost perfect ventilation that allows you to see and hear everything your neighbours are doing.

B4164079-6514-4FDA-9EE8-75D518974D09.jpeg.90c27b6ccba47c77783d1c6c596044ba.jpeg8C6C4DEE-5060-4E8E-8430-F13787D9BA08.jpeg.a5b5bf2d28a277d2a0d96ae6df1997c9.jpeg63061920-C7BF-4E1D-904E-4E1218BCEC96.jpeg.9df4e77e8010016860ec562f49463841.jpeg

• Haha 1

Compared to the initial investment of double-paned vs single-paned windows of a similar quality, the savings is not as great as one might think, particularly in hot climates. 

Most comparisons compare old leaky clear windows with new double-paned tinted windows. 

Double (or better triple) paned windows are good for noise reduction, particularly when glasses of different thicknesses are used. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Obviously labour assembly costs. 

I can't speak to other Westen countries, but labor assembling windows in the US is surely less than 10% of cost. 

Installation costs in the US are probably 10-20 times as much as in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Compared to the initial investment of double-paned vs single-paned windows of a similar quality, the savings is not as great as one might think, particularly in hot climates. 

Most comparisons compare old leaky clear windows with new double-paned tinted windows. 

Double (or better triple) paned windows are good for noise reduction, particularly when glasses of different thicknesses are used. 

If the windowmaker is using a good profile, that has a thermal break between exterior and interior side I assume the energy saving cost is still relevant. 

On the other hand, if it's just two panes squeezed into an ordinary frame, you're right about the minimal effects

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Obviously labour assembly costs. 

any other than the small one-man-shops window fabrication is automatically done on a CNC machine. And as yellowtail said, labour costs here are in general a fraction of what you would have to pay in the US or Europe

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CLW said:

And as yellowtail said, labour costs here are in general a fraction of what you would have to pay in the US or Europe

Labour costs and costs of regulations (environmental, taxation, employment, insurance etc.)

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I can't speak to other Westen countries, but labor assembling windows in the US is surely less than 10% of cost.

Labor costs are normally the biggest expense in the US manufacturing, or whatever has left of it which led to a huge push into automation.

Edited by unheard

44 minutes ago, unheard said:

Labour costs and costs of regulations (environmental, taxation, employment, insurance etc.)

more likely import tax for some "exotic" or western standard construction material

4 hours ago, CLW said:

If the windowmaker is using a good profile, that has a thermal break between exterior and interior side I assume the energy saving cost is still relevant. 

On the other hand, if it's just two panes squeezed into an ordinary frame, you're right about the minimal effects

The vast majority of Thai windows are of the aluminum frame/single pane or upvc frame/single pane cheap variety.

There's no much reason to discuss similarly built dual pane windows, if available, since they would be of similar quality.

What normally referred to dual pane windows in this discussion is associated with windows manufactured up to the western standards by farang-run shops (upvc, complex shaped frames, thermal brakes between the panes, coated glass). Not sure if they offer inert gas filling over here.

In the west most of double pane windows come argon filled.

Edited by unheard
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, unheard said:

Labor costs are normally the biggest expense in the US manufacturing, or whatever has left of it which led to a huge push into automation.

I can say with absolute certainly that labor costs are generally not the biggest expense in US manufacturing. 

But they are generally the easiest cost to control. 

5 minutes ago, unheard said:

The vast majority of Thai windows are of the aluminum frame/single pane or upvc frame/single pane cheap variety.

There's no much reason to discuss the similarly built dual pane windows, if available, since they are of the similar quality.

What normally referred to dual pane windows in this discussion is associated with windows manufactured to the western standards by farang run shops (upvc, complex shaped frames, thermal brakes between the panes, coated glass). Not sure if they offer inert gas filling over here.

In the west most of the double pane windows come argon filled.

It is pretty easy to see when double-glazed windows have not been gas-charged. 

No shortage of fine quality products manufactured in Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

that's more suitable for a terrace or patio, not in front of windows.

And you have to be very careful for (strong) winds. 

I have worked eight years for this manufacturer WAREMA and load plates for fixing them on the wall were huge and super strong.

Why do you want them to open and close? Fixed aluminum shades are great. 

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I can say with absolute certainly that labor costs are generally not the biggest expense in US manufacturing. 

But they are generally the easiest cost to control. 

Labor is widely considered to be the biggest cost of doing business in the U.S.

It's a fact.

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is pretty easy to see when double-glazed windows have not been gas-charged. 

No shortage of fine quality products manufactured in Thailand. 

Are they gas charged in Thailand?

So far I haven't seen any evidence of that.

But I'd admit not closely looking into it.

btw, gas filled as in inert gas, not air. ????

Edited by unheard

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why do you want them to open and close? Fixed aluminum shades are great. 

Why have windows then in the first place? Of course I want to open or close when there is no direct sunshine on the windows to let light in