International driving license proof of address

dayo202

Looking for some feedback...

Heading to Bangkok Transportation Office Area 3 at Sukhumvit Road, Bang Chak BTS. 

In apply for my international driving license.

Anyone know if Bang Chak expect my yellow address book as proof of my address ?.

I read Chatuchak office will only expect immigration residence certificate, or a work permit.

3 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

About a year ago I obtained an IDP there. 

In addition to taking a copy of my blue tabien baan, they also required a copy of my pink card. Seems they wanted two forms of proof of address.

Great thanks, copy of yellow house book plus my pink Thai ID card.

This is very interesting information.

I always heard/read that you could only get an International Drivers Permit in your home-country. 

But if Thailand is your official country of residence, I guess that it is possible to apply for an IDP here (and surely if you have acquired Thai citizenship). 

= = =

Normally the reason that you would want to apply for an IDP (using your home-country's drivers permit) is that in Thailand, when applying for a Thai Drivers Permit that you need either an IDP or a drivers permit in english language.  Hence being from a non-english speaking country you would need such an IDP in order to apply for the Thai drivers permit.  And if you do not have that, there is also the option of going through the 2 full-day training and pass the exam to get hold of such Thai drivers permit.

14 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I always heard/read that you could only get an International Drivers Permit in your home-country. 

But if Thailand is your official country of residence, I guess that it is possible to apply for an IDP here (and surely if you have acquired Thai citizenship). 

= = =

Normally the reason that you would want to apply for an IDP (using your home-country's drivers permit) is that in Thailand, when applying for a Thai Drivers Permit that you need either an IDP or a drivers permit in english language.  Hence being from a non-english speaking country you would need such an IDP in order to apply for the Thai drivers permit.  And if you do not have that, there is also the option of going through the 2 full-day training and pass the exam to get hold of such Thai drivers permit.

I have a full Thai driving license have done for over 10 years, I'm heading to Cambodia, Vietnam so I need a Thai international driving license. Better to be safe then sorry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

But if Thailand is your official country of residence, I guess that it is possible to apply for an IDP here

You can only get an IDP in Thailand if you have a Thai driver's license. Same in every country on the world - the IDP is based on the local DL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oldestswinger said:

I have a Thai driving licence and got an IDP at Nonthaburi by simply showing my driving licence and passport (which has the Immigration Dept notification attached.

Same in Chiangmai when I got my last IDP.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

You can only get an IDP in Thailand if you have a Thai driver's license. Same in every country on the world - the IDP is based on the local DL

It obvious, but not stated, the IDP obtained in Thailand is valid outside of Thailand and can't be used in Thailand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, dayo202 said:

I have a full Thai driving license have done for over 10 years, I'm heading to Cambodia, Vietnam so I need a Thai international driving license. Better to be safe then sorry 

The 5 year thai license is legally valid in Cambodia cause of ASEAN, but if ur stopped ur going to get fine no matter what license u show them  < its Cambodia   :-)

ON my many trips since 2004, i'dsay they fine me 75% of the time, showing my thai iicense

Thats only like 6 times in 19 years

Never seen any reason to pay 500 baht for a 1 year IDP when my Thai license is usually valid for 5 years 11 months and 26+ days for only 515 baht   ( i always renew at least 1 day after it expires)

Edited by zzzzz

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

The 5 year thai license is legally valid in Cambodia cause of ASEAN, but if ur stopped ur going to get fine no matter what license u show them  < its Cambodia  ????

ON my many trips since 2004, i'dsay they fine me 75% of the time, showing my thai iicense

Thats only like 6 times in 19 years

Never seen any reason to pay 500 baht for a 1 year IDP when my Thai license is usually valid for 5 years 11 months and 26+ days for only 515 baht   ( i always renew at least 1 day after it expires)

Me too.  An IDP is just a translation of a national licence but as a Thai licence is in English (and Thai) I can't see why it's necessary.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:38 PM, Red Phoenix said:

I always heard/read that you could only get an International Drivers Permit in your home-country ....  (... if you have acquired Thai citizenship)

If a non-Thai holder of a Thai licence wants to use that licence to drive overseas (not in his home country) an IDP may be required and can be applied for.  The (Thai-licence holder) applicant does not have to be a Thai citizen.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, paulbrow said:

It obvious, but not stated, the IDP obtained in Thailand is valid outside of Thailand and can't be used in Thailand.

Obviously.

The holder of a Thai DL with a Thai IDP would never need to use that IDP when driving in Thailand.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1