The Tennessee House Just Passed a Bill Completely Gutting Marriage Equality

onthedarkside

29 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Who of course re-districted (gerrymandered) districts to reduce the will of the people.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2022/03/09/gerrymandering-tennessee-lawmakers-carved-up-nashville-abandon/9401843002/

0 proof the new lines were drawn due to race. this is an opinion piece. 

The three divisions appear to be determined........this is opinion of the author nothing more. was he in the meetings and part of the committee etc who made this decision ? my bet is big nope. 

• Love It 1

16 minutes ago, stoner said:

0 proof the new lines were drawn due to race

Districts are gerrymandered to minimize the power of the individual voter, and the party they tend to vote for. No one said anything about "race". I mean, other than you.

17 minutes ago, stoner said:

this is an opinion piece. 

Yes, that seemed obvious by the word "OPINION" at the top of the article. Who said it wasn't? Are opinions allowed?

https://gerrymander.princeton.edu/redistricting-report-card?planId=recNHst84Wkz2RmLF

Zoom in on Nashville and Memphis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/us/nashville-gerrymandering-republican-democrat.html

24 minutes ago, stoner said:

The three divisions appear to be determined.......

Finish that thought?

this is opinion of the author nothing more.

Yes, we agree on that.

was he in the meetings and part of the committee etc who made this decision ? my bet is big nope. 

Well of course he wasn't. He is not part of teh State Legislature.

Look Tenneessee is a reliable red state, Nashville is on the short-list for the 2024 RNC.

My only point is that falling back to the old trope about electing "better governing officials" is a cop out when you factor in additional hurdles like gerrymandering.

Perhaps same-sex mariage, or drag shows, are high on the list of issues impacting Tennesseeans...

https://apnews.com/article/drag-queens-tennessee-bill-legislation-3ed2ddd0e8231819ade5d0c8b9f4c30a

but I bet they are not. Jobs, economy, crime, poverty, health, education, public safety all rank higher.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't have too, some minority folks are doing that themselves.   When they do it, it's to protect or promote their culture.   If anyone else does it, for non racist reason, it's racism. 

Ex; all black this or that, actually too many to list or all female, but you can't have an all white or all male anything.

Ex: school districts forced to accept people outside their district that don't pay the school taxes of that district.

You live in Thailand? Live near other farangs? (If you are one). People of like interests and cultures often hang out with each other, as opposed to a larger majority that is different.

That is not segregation. It is choice, the individuals choice. When the government decides who you can and can't associate with, that is segregation. Think of the Warsaw ghetto of WW2. If you can't see the difference between "must" be separate versus "choose" to be separate, there is little hope for you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Finish that thought?

from your opinion piece not my words. 

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

No one said anything about "race". I mean, other than you.

you can't be this obtuse can you. the entire article you originally posted is about race and minorities.

• Love It 1

56 minutes ago, Emdog said:

You live in Thailand? Live near other farangs? (If you are one). People of like interests and cultures often hang out with each other, as opposed to a larger majority that is different.

That is not segregation. It is choice, the individuals choice. When the government decides who you can and can't associate with, that is segregation. Think of the Warsaw ghetto of WW2. If you can't see the difference between "must" be separate versus "choose" to be separate, there is little hope for you

If you can't see the difference between 'all black' or 'all female' is allowed, when 'all white' and 'all male' usually is not ... there is little hope for you.

I'm talking 21st Century, the past is the past, let it die, since nobody learns from it.

NO ... I am 1, but I avoid farangs ... vile creatures ????

Edited by KhunLA

Tennessee lieutenant governor, 79, comments on young gay man's racy Instagram photos

The lieutenant governor of Tennessee, which recently passed multiple bills that target LGBTQ people and culture, has been frequently commenting from his verified Instagram account on shirtless photos of a young gay man.

Republican Lt. Gov. Randy McNally, who also serves as speaker of the state Senate, has left supportive — and arguably flirtatious — comments and emojis under risque social media photos posted by Franklin McClure, a 20-year-old performer from Knoxville, who goes by Franklyn Superstar on social media. The Tennessee Holler, a local publication, first reported the news Wednesday night after receiving an anonymous tip.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/tennessee-lieutenant-governor-79-comments-young-gay-mans-racy-instagra-rcna74182

• Haha 1

More from Randy...who says he will be a lot more careful using social media.

'I'm really, really sorry.' Tennessee Lt. Gov. Randy McNally apologizes after uproar over social media posts

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Tennessee Lt. Gov. Randy McNally, in an exclusive interview Thursday, apologized after the uproar over his interactions with provocative posts on social media, while insisting that his intentions have been misconstrued.

The 79-year-old East Tennessee Republican — who has presided over a legislative session defined by bills outlawing drag shows in public places and targeting gender care for the trans community — found himself facing accusations of hypocrisy after a progressive site, the Tennessee Holler, unearthed his social media interactions with a 20-year-old gay model.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/revealed/im-really-really-sorry-tennessee-lt-gov-randy-mcnally-apologizes-after-uproar-over-social-media-posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlAhZGNGkV0