Gary Lineker told to step back from presenting Match of the Day

Scott

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Viewing figures were up but at 20 mins long instead of 80 minutes and with no commentators I would guess it was more of a novelty must see. 

Broadcaster Piers Morgan said in a tweet that Lineker’s suspension was “pathetically spineless.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bizarre-20-minutes-match-day-101323439.html

Is that the same Piers Morgan that a  petition was raised by the American Public calling for his deportation from the USA and a similar petition raised in the UK requesting that the USA  "Keep Piers Morgan in the U.S.A as the UK public didn't want him back

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/12/piers-morgan-deportation-petition-uk-us-gun-control

• Haha 1

Just now, vinny41 said:

Is that the same Piers Morgan that a  petition was raised by the American Public calling for his deportation from the USA and a similar petition raised in the UK requesting that the USA  "Keep Piers Morgan in the U.S.A as the UK public didn't want him back

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/12/piers-morgan-deportation-petition-uk-us-gun-control

Possibly why?

56 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Viewing figures were up but at 20 mins long instead of 80 minutes and with no commentators I would guess it was more of a novelty must see. 

Broadcaster Piers Morgan said in a tweet that Lineker’s suspension was “pathetically spineless.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bizarre-20-minutes-match-day-101323439.html

I'm surprised to see that comment from arch troll Piers Morgan.  He must be trying to improve his 'woke' credit rating to launch another attack on civility and decency.

1 minute ago, Slip said:

I'm surprised to see that comment from arch troll Piers Morgan.  He must be trying to improve his 'woke' credit rating to launch another attack on civility and decency.

Exactly. Thats why I quoted it. I was also surprised

On 3/11/2023 at 6:52 AM, JonnyF said:

Good.

Linekar isn't above the rules. Everyone knows everyone at the BBC is a left wing Labour voter (and if they're not, they soon become one if they wish to keep their job) but as a publicly funded organization they need to display impartiality.

Maitlis was a disgrace and now Linekar has taken over the virtue signaling duties. Hopefully he is sacked for constantly breaking his employment contract.

Just because you're so deluded that you think you have the moral high ground, doesn't mean the rules do not apply to you.

The BBC loves diversity, except of course diversity of opinion.

The BBC is a puppet of the government in power . 

The current situation regarding the plan to send refugees to Ruwanda is a breach of the agreement with the United Nations . Similar to the grotesque movement of refugees from Australia to islands away from Australian territory.

Thank you to Gary for making this miscarriage of justice know to the world .

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, itsari said:

The BBC is a puppet of the government in power . 

The current situation regarding the plan to send refugees to Ruwanda is a breach of the agreement with the United Nations . Similar to the grotesque movement of refugees from Australia to islands away from Australian territory.

Thank you to Gary for making this miscarriage of justice know to the world .

The World was already aware of Refugees being sent to Rwanda , it has been headline news in the U.K and worldwide and there has been a thread about it on ASEANNOW

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The World was already aware of Refugees being sent to Rwanda , it has been headline news in the U.K and worldwide and there has been a thread about it on ASEANNOW

So what?

It is the conservative government wanting to contravene the United Nations agreement 

On 3/12/2023 at 7:44 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Do stop with this deflection of assumptions on who the migrants are or why they are coming.

The subject under discussion is the censoring of Gary Lineker for speaking up against the language used by Government in reference to migrants.

It's simple isn't it. His employment contract says he shouldn't speak out on political issues.

It's like if your contract says you must wear a green shirt. If you detest green shirts, you are perfectly free to go and work elsewhere.

He signed the contract, so he should keep his mouth shut. Funny how you're suddenly pro free speech without any consequences.

Taxing the public under the threat of jail time to run a state TV station that preaches a particular political ideology to the masses that pay their huge salaries sounds like something that would happen in China or N.Korea. Actually, now I'm starting to see why you approve of it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's simple isn't it. His employment contract says he shouldn't speak out on political issues.

1. Gary isn't employed by the BBC, he has no employment contract with them. 

2. The BBC contract restricting 'opinions' is only applied to news and current affairs staff. It does not apply to sports and entertainment staff. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's like if your contract says you must wear a green shirt. If you detest green shirts, you are perfectly free to go and work elsewhere.

He signed the contract, so he should keep his mouth shut. Funny how you're suddenly pro free speech without any consequences.

Taxing the public under the threat of jail time to run a state TV station that preaches a particular political ideology to the masses that pay their huge salaries sounds like something that would happen in China or N.Korea. Actually, now I'm starting to see why you approve of it. 

"Taxing the public under the threat of jail time to run a state TV station that preaches a particular political ideology to the masses that pay their huge salaries sounds like something that would happen in China or N.Korea. Actually, now I'm starting to see why you approve of it. "

Exactly, and it's the government preaching its ideology via the BBC

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Perhaps Piers Morgan should be sent to Rwanda ?

4 minutes ago, itsari said:

Perhaps Piers Morgan should be sent to Rwanda ?

Why would they do that? He is a legal citizen of the UK, not an illegal asylum immigrant.

This isn't North Korea where you can be expelled for holding the wrong opinion. Yet....

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You’ll need to produce the contract.

I rather hope Lineker takes this to court, but I suspect the BBC will see sense and stop censoring Lineker.

Your repetitive gripe about the funding of the BBC is absolutely nothing to do with Lineker being censored, though his censoring is a fact which knocks a gaping hole n your argument of a particular ideology.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I rather hope Lineker takes this to court, but I suspect the BBC will see sense and stop censoring Lineker.

I rather hope he'll go the same way as Maitlis and leave the BBC. For all her politically biased rants against the government, at least she had the courage of her convictions to do the right thing. Maybe he can go back to advertising junk food to kids, or maybe another gig in Qatar?

Given his colossal salary (paid for under threat of jail by pensioners who cannot even afford to heat their homes) he'll probably fight it tooth and nail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

The BBC is a hard left organization. Gary Lineker has become their chief political spokesman. Pretty much everything he preaches is left wing ideology and anti Tory. Claiming the government preaches it's ideology via the BBC is gaslighting of the highest order.

Monumental humbug Jonny.

The BBC is the Conservative government's propaganda media. Under the disguise of impartiality and independence.

It wasn't always that way, I'll grant you that . Did some good documentaries way back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I rather hope he'll go the same way as Maitlis and leave the BBC. For all her politically biased rants against the government, at least she had the courage of her convictions to do the right thing. Maybe he can go back to advertising junk food to kids, or maybe another gig in Qatar?

Given his colossal salary (paid for under threat of jail by pensioners who cannot even afford to heat their homes) he'll probably fight it tooth and nail. 

I rather think if he does go to court he’ll pick up a nice fat settlement.

All because of rightwing political interference trying to silence Lineker from expressing his personal views on  his own personal social media account.

PETER HITCHENS: End this crude smear against conservatives - Hitler’s Nazis were in fact left-wing racists... Gary Lineker knows as much about politics as I know about football

The Nazis were very Left-wing.

They hated Christianity and deliberately set children against their parents. They imposed penal taxes on the middle class and attracted Communists to their ranks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11848611/PETER-HITCHENS-End-crude-smear-against-conservatives.html

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The BBC is the Conservative government's propaganda media. Under the disguise of impartiality and independence.

Ah so that's why the likes of Maitlis and Lineker were/are always attacking the government. It's because they are secretly acting as propaganda for them. I guess they just don't know that propaganda is supposed to promote something, not attack it.

It all makes perfect sense now. Thanks for explaining.