Will gold shops buy non-Thai 18k gold

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not true. 

If buying, you wouldn't get much.  Who would buy a used 18k ring here.   Few Thais, just ignorant farangs.   Only HiSo Thais bother with gemstones, and they wouldn't buy 2nd hand.

You rarely see Thais with 18k ring or with stone settings.  More into gold bands/rings, necklaces & bracelets.  Obvious by any wall & display cases in the shops, as small part dedicated to rings w/settings.  

A lot of the customers, gold buying mindset is, IF I ever need to,  I can always sell it for what I pay at least.   Not with 18k, losing investment.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If buying, you wouldn't get much.  Who would buy a used 18k ring here.   Few Thais, just ignorant farangs.   Only HiSo Thais bother with gemstones, and they wouldn't buy 2nd hand.

You rarely see Thais with 18k ring or with stone settings.  More into gold bands/rings, necklaces & bracelets.  Obvious by any wall & display cases in the shops, as small part dedicated to rings w/settings.  

A lot of the customers, gold buying mindset is, IF I ever need to,  I can always sell it for what I pay at least.   Not with 18k, losing investment.

What the thread about is 18ct gold it is made in Thailand it is recommended to Thailand people for rings and certain jewelry settings. 

When a goldshop buys it they don't sell it secondhand it is melting down and put with other bought 18ct gold to make new rings or jewelry.

Instead of assuming what you think goes on with Gold in the Thai gold industries and Thai people's experience get the facts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I successfully sold a 24 carat gold chain (Italian gold purchased in Oz) at a gold shop in Bangkok back in 2016. From memory I think it was in China Town, and I was paid at the rate displayed in the store.

So, that's less than it was worth, after all the rate displayed is for Thai gold.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

So, that's less than it was worth, after all the rate displayed is for Thai gold.

That's what it was worth to the person buying/selling.   All that matters.

Every gold shop posts the daily buy/sell rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, Kwasaki said:

Thai goldsmiths add silver and bronze and copper is used as well to get colour of golds, there are many variations of gold but most Thais like the bright 23ct one. 

My wife like what she calls old gold because it is of darker colour that is a copper mix. 

Our wedding rings are Thai 18ct. 

White gold is becoming popular as well as diamonds now here, well at least in BKK.  Had a wedding band made for the misses which incorporated the engagement ring and two smaller linked infinity bands which are white gold with diamonds......the jeweler told me he is making more and more combination white gold and yellow gold rings with larger diamonds in them now.  He did say that this is for the younger generation and the older Thais like the softer darker yellow gold. 

Sold my 18 carat white gold ring in China town, they do have machines that can tell the purity of the metal and the stone clarity.

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

White gold is becoming popular as well as diamonds now here, well at least in BKK.  Had a wedding band made for the misses which incorporated the engagement ring and two smaller linked infinity bands which are white gold with diamonds......the jeweler told me he is making more and more combination white gold and yellow gold rings with larger diamonds in them now.  He did say that this is for the younger generation and the older Thais like the softer darker yellow gold. 

Sold my 18 carat white gold ring in China town, they do have machines that can tell the purity of the metal and the stone clarity.

White 18ct gold has been use for years in UK for setting diamonds in engagement rings combind with 22ct yellow gold. 

White 18ct gold claws are harder wearing something as to hold the diamond in place.

A white gold diamond setting can be set in 9ct gold ring designs as well if savings are to be made. 

My wife prefers the darker yellow gold here which she calls old gold. 

I guess machines are handy these days we always used acids and an eye glass.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:09 AM, Peterphuket said:

No, I actually received approx 1/3 more than I paid for it in Oz. I paid AUD $2,000.00 in 2012 ( approx 56,000 THB ) I received 75,000 THB ( approx AUD $2,680.00) in 2016. Also the price on display in the shop was the same as the market price for gold. It had nothing to do with being the price for Thai gold. So please get your facts correct before posting such ludicrous comments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

No, I actually received approx 1/3 more than I paid for it in Oz. I paid AUD $2,000.00 in 2012 ( approx 56,000 THB ) I received 75,000 THB ( approx AUD $2,680.00) in 2016. Also the price on display in the shop was the same as the market price for gold. It had nothing to do with being the price for Thai gold. So please get your facts correct before posting such ludicrous comments.

Of course I had not taken in account that the gold price may vary, however if you had traded it in today you would have gotten it at a much higher price.????

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Of course I had not taken in account that the gold price may vary, however if you had traded it in today you would have gotten it at a much higher price.????

and the relevance of this comment being? It has no relevance to your previous comment that the displayed price is for Thai gold. In fact it's a contradiction of your previous comment. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Yes gold price does vary and you will get a different buy price to what's displayed and also what the item of gold is one is wanted to  sell.

Why arguing has started here is quite ridiculous. 

• 3 weeks later...