Is it time to get an air cleaner?

cubism001

Yes. Absolutely. Bit, the good ones are expensive. Tried the Xiaomi and found it to be lacking. It requires an app, and it will not stay connected. Low end stuff. 

It is all about the size of the filter. Good ones have massive filters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, the time purchase an air purifier was two months ago.  

Even with an air purifier in house, I left for KL four days ago.  It's rained every afternoon I've been here and, as one might expect, the air is significantly better than most places in Thailand.  

• Thumbs Up 2

How much does the Power Buy one cost?  (I have bronchitis, so this might be impt.)

Re moving to KL etc: world travel is off for awhile. I'd enjoy KL, but finances. will not allow this. I'm lucky to know about TH!  

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. Absolutely. Bit, the good ones are expensive. Tried the Xiaomi and found it to be lacking. It requires an app, and it will not stay connected. Low end stuff. 

Have to disagree. No app needed. (Maybe older unit in this case, 2s)  Runs fine for my studio/room. Step outside my hotel door and the air is heavy, rancid and chewy. Inside my room, light and clean.

Two coffee shops near me use the professional units from Xiaomi and the air is fine and dandy in both stores.

Sure, you could probably find dozens of better units, but for the price….no complaints here. Paid 4000 baht on Lazada 3 years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

How much does the Power Buy one cost?  (I have bronchitis, so this might be impt.)

Re moving to KL etc: world travel is off for awhile. I'd enjoy KL, but finances. will not allow this. I'm lucky to know about TH!  

Thanks!

5000 baht here….

B3BD9508-C5D8-40F8-9655-E7D30B6C2AB6.jpeg

14 minutes ago, cubism001 said:

Thanks!

When it comes to my health, its never wrong to splurge a little. Also, I imagine you could sell it rather fast to someone else upon leaving area. The nice thing is the LED number. I wake up at night, look at the low number and it gives me peace of mind. How much is that worth?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Is it time to get an air cleaner?"

"It is time for us to do what we have been doing. And that time is every day. Every day it is time for us to agree that there are things and tools that are available to us to slow this thing down," Harris said.

Just now, nigelforbes said:

Get the whole house Xiaomi, it houses two massive filters and will handle up to 75 square meters. We run that plus a smaller one for the bedroom, job done, filters last a long time

Excellent! And honestly I think they’re rather attractively designed. 

Not only that, but when my old filter was ready to be replaced (unit has a red light warning) , and I was awaiting my new one from Lazada,  the hotel maintenance man vacuumed the filter and it was good to go. 

• Like 1

I have a Sharp model KC-G60TA.  Works incredibly well. Filters are re-useable which is perfect being I only use when this smoke madness hits the area.  Money well spent. Night mode and quiet.  If you look for sales you can find one for 12k baht.  I tried the cheap ones early on years back and like anything,  you get what you pay for.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SamSanuk said:

The nice thing is the LED number. I wake up at night, look at the low number and it gives me peace of mind. How much is that worth?

Not sure how much if that number is the air quality in or at the unit itself and not the rest of the room.

Presumably the measurement unit should be well-separated from the filtration unit so the unit is not just measuring filtered air from its immediate vicinity?  

16 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Not sure how much if that number is the air quality in or at the unit itself and not the rest of the room.

Presumably the measurement unit should be well-separated from the filtration unit so the unit is not just measuring filtered air from its immediate vicinity?  

I put the unit right next to my bed.

So far, over the years, no morning sore throat, no itchy eyes, no coughing.

Is it the most accurate measurement? Probably not, but it seems to do the job. 

Edited by SamSanuk
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 3:50 AM, cubism001 said:

The Lazada one: could you get replacement filters?  Thank you

If you buy a Xiaomi, the replacement filters are available on Lazada. 

A genuine Xiaomi replacement filter will cost 800-900 THB (we just purchased one a month ago).....knock-offs can be had for half the price but the reviews I've read say they don't work as well.

The manufacturer's recommendation is to replace the filter annually; additionally, the machine has a sensor that tells you how much filter life is remaining each time the machine is powered up.  No app required for our model (Mi 3H) to function properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

If you buy a Xiaomi, the replacement filters are available on Lazada. 

A genuine Xiaomi replacement filter will cost 800-900 THB (we just purchased one a month ago).....knock-offs can be had for half the price but the reviews I've read say they don't work as well.

The manufacturer's recommendation is to replace the filter annually; additionally, the machine has a sensor that tells you how much filter life is remaining each time the machine is powered up.  No app required for our model (Mi 3H) to function properly.

Buying the filters during low season means they are usually discounted.

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Have 2 Xiaomi s, no app required.  Earlier version, can't comment on new models.

I bought two Hitachi units from PowerBuy a few years ago. I think they were about  ฿1,000 each. For another ฿ 900   I bought a PM2.5 monitor.

These two units bring out PM2.5 reading down into the single or low double digits in couple of minutes despite the triple digits air outside.  We did not seal the windows or cover the Aircon openings, but we still have sweet, clean air 24/7 during Burning Season. With the house secure, and wearing a good N95 mask when going outside, this season is simply no problem at all!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought Shart FP-J30TA last year (after many years using Hatari) and very impressed with cleaning and filter prices.  Filters are easily available even during season. Normal filter is just HEPA (case has built in pre-filter) but if you want odor removal combined charcoal filters are available for less than 500 baht.  Unit now a bit above 3k but during non filter season under 3k.

I would be very cautious buying cheap fan operated goods from China.  Have had fire due to fan overheat and cheap plastic construction - which could have been serious if not observed as happened.

Below is the link to Sharp we have:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-fp-j30ta-pba-23-sqm-plasmaclusterhepa-filter-i3686927681-s13964610985.html?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Bought Shart FP-J30TA last year (after many years using Hatari) and very impressed with cleaning and filter prices.  Filters are easily available even during season. Normal filter is just HEPA (case has built in pre-filter) but if you want odor removal combined charcoal filters are available for less than 500 baht.  Unit now a bit above 3k but during non filter season under 3k.

I would be very cautious buying cheap fan operated goods from China.  Have had fire due to fan overheat and cheap plastic construction - which could have been serious if not observed as happened.

Below is the link to Sharp we have:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-fp-j30ta-pba-23-sqm-plasmaclusterhepa-filter-i3686927681-s13964610985.html?

I'm not sure I'd feel any safer buying fan-operated goods that are made in Thailand. My 4 Xiaomi purifiers have yet to catch on fire but that's a very small sample size of course. And no, I would not buy them again but that's due to my views on China's behaviour on the global stage and not their ability to make air purifiers.

Edited by Mark1066

I have an Xiaomi in the bedroom which I'm happy with.

Going to have a look at something for the living area soon.

Coway seem to be a good brand and they have some good deals at the minute.

This one is reduced from 11 000 to 5 000 Baht.

9 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I'm not sure I'd feel any safer buying fan-operated goods that are made in Thailand. My 4 Xiaomi purifiers have yet to catch on fire but that's a very small sample size of course. And no, I would not buy them again but that's due to my views on China's behaviour on the global stage and not their ability to make air purifiers.

The issue is the cheap plastic they use is highly flammable.   And the cheap motors will overheat.  This used to happen with cheap plastic outlet strips sold here from China - Thai standards have prevented them for last decade or so.  The key is cheap more than where made - but in todays world cheap often means China.  The Xaiomi is made to international standards and much higher quality and do not believe anything wrong with that.  Sharp Thailand is also an international standards company.

• Like 1