What ailments/accidents befall those over 60? Proactive actions to take?

simon43

On 3/24/2023 at 11:07 AM, owl sees all said:

We - us humans - have evolved to be fruit and veg eaters, with the occasional fat and meat thrown in.

Evidence suggests otherwise. You've overlooked the maggots as well.

Hunter-gatherers and small-scale farmers everywhere commonly ate putrid meat, fish and fatty parts of a wide range of animals. From arctic tundra to tropical rainforests, native populations consumed rotten remains, either raw, fermented or cooked just enough to singe off fur and create a more chewable texture. Many groups treated maggots as a meaty bonus.

--A surprising food may have been a staple of the real Paleo diet: rotten meat

An interesting read and one that may engender gratitude that we live in modern times.

15 hours ago, BigStar said:

Evidence suggests otherwise. You've overlooked the maggots as well.

Hunter-gatherers and small-scale farmers everywhere commonly ate putrid meat, fish and fatty parts of a wide range of animals. From arctic tundra to tropical rainforests, native populations consumed rotten remains, either raw, fermented or cooked just enough to singe off fur and create a more chewable texture. Many groups treated maggots as a meaty bonus.

--A surprising food may have been a staple of the real Paleo diet: rotten meat

An interesting read and one that may engender gratitude that we live in modern times.

Maggots are getting on for being 100% protein. The old-uns knew how to make cold ares in the soil. I don't think too much went to waste by rotting.

Then of course there was cannibalism. Plenty of that going on in Asia and Africa. I think people were much happier back then.

HPV from too mut muff diving leads to throat and mouth cancer and maybe lung cancer as theres lots of guys with lung cancer who never smoked a fag in their life

very curious..............................................

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

HPV from too mut muff diving leads to throat and mouth cancer and maybe lung cancer as theres lots of guys with lung cancer who never smoked a fag in their life

very curious..............................................

.......'smoked a fag' has a totally different meaning for us Americans....  :cheesy:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

dont forget gout 

numerous mates have gout some dont even booze 

Alcohol only one of the risk factors and is usually related to all the others common among those not living a healthy lifestyle. Even the medication for others, such as for BP, can contribute.

You’re more likely to develop gout if you:

Eat lots of purine-rich foods, including red meat and some kinds of fish, especially scallops, sardines and tuna, though the health benefits of eating fish likely outweigh any gout risk.
    Consume food and drinks sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup or drink excessive amounts of alcohol, especially beer.
    Are overweight, leading your body to produce more uric acid and to have a harder time eliminating it.
    Have a family history of gout.
    Have certain chronic conditions, including diabetes, obesity and heart or kidney disease.
    Take high blood pressure drugs, such as diuretics and beta blockers.
    Have an imbalance in your microbiome, the trillions of bacteria, viruses and fungi that live in your gut and regulate the immune system. The microbiome is implicated in most inflammatory diseases, including arthritis.

--https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/gout

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, 3NUMBAS said:

teeth tend to fail quite badly with   age everything wears out ,,who would like perfect teeth again

may need implants one day

Apparently smoking is one of the worse things for teeth, so smokers can only blame themselves 

• Confused 1

On 4/11/2023 at 3:05 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

teeth tend to fail quite badly with   age everything wears out ,,who would like perfect teeth again

may need implants one day

One of my bridges dropped out after 20 years.  The dentist in the UK charged me 80 pounds to simply glue it back in....

Next time I'll do it myself!

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe fake but definitely roids but everyone denies

Definitely roids in this case. Long time bodybuilder, has the genes as well. Not relevant to anyone here, many of whom will be happy to make it to their early 80s.

Jack Nicholson's made it to a demented 85. Good docs.

image.png.a0f6bc312af3cb285b07b30b06387099.png

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and get vaccinated against pneumonia????

One of my best friends, a ‘Nam vet and burly truck driver, died of pneumonia. He put off getting help because he thought it just a bad cold.

RIP Roger.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:30 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

sepsis always seems to be felling oldies so watch out for those tiny infections that can get worse with no indications of  anything wrong with  you

I am missing part of my right big toe…. gangrene from a cat scratch. Docs here did a good job treating it here.

I’ve been hanging around for seventy. Four known cardiac events, three strokes requiring hospital, and a number of fractured ribs due to falls. I won’t count my Covid episode because that seems somewhat unparticular about age. Oh, and had to have gallbladder out.

Diet is a huge factor, and living in LOS has helped in that dept., as cheese and beef are not so common. I use olive oil as much as possible and oat porridge most days for breakfast… hoping to harass my darling for another twelve or so years.????

• Like 1