What ailments/accidents befall those over 60? Proactive actions to take?

simon43

Some will have read my post about my ongoing prostate cancer diagnosis and possible treatment.  This situation has really made me think long and hard about where I live in the future (ie in a city or rural location, regardless of the country), and what actions I can take to ensure that I am unlikely to suffer a major illness or accident.

I checked the data about what illnesses or causes of death are the most common for men aged 60+.  (This also depends on what country you live in, lifestyle etc etc)

Heart attack

Stroke

Cancer

Lung diseases

Diabetes

Pneumonia

Kidney disease

Alzheimer's disease

Accidents/suicide etc

Out of these ailments only heart attack, stroke and accidents are sudden-onset ailments, (well, suicide as well, but unless you're suffering from severe depression or mental illness, then I'll discount this as a likely cause of death).

So if one is living in a rural area, far from a decent hospital, all the other ailments may give you time to travel to a suitable hospital for treatment etc.

I'm thinking how one can avoid sudden-onset, life-threatening illnesses or accidents.  Add into the pot detached retinas, appendicitus as urgent ailments that need one to quickly travel to a suitable hospital.

So apart from accidents (slip in the shower, have a motorbike accident, cut your leg off with the power saw in the garden etc), it looks like only stroke and heart attacks are the likely sudden-onset illnesses, (unless you know better - please comment!)

I took an online survey as to the likelyhood of me having a stroke or HA, based on my lifestyle and my risk was minimal ????

I have no idea what causes appendicitus (blockage?), so I'm not sure how to be proactive to avoid that.

Accidents?  Hold onto things in the bathroom, avoid slippery tiled floors, wear a crash helmet when riding a motorbike (and maybe in the bathroom as well!!), don't ride drunk, don't pick fights with anyone etc

You can't protect yourself from all the health risks in life, but what other actions can one take?  I ask because I need to consider whether living in remote locations is a sensible option for me in the future, or whether I should ;lve within striking distance of a decent hospital.

Please feel free to add your own advice and any other (realistic) health risks that might befall the older person.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, novacova said:

Prevention is paramount.

don’t smoke 

don’t drink alcohol 

exercise

stop eating fried food, sugar, carbs, mukata msg laced soup and processed junk

eat as much raw food as possible 

treat everyone with respect and kindness

stay out of toxic relationships 

dont live in a desperate state of mind 

and just be happy ???? 

...and get vaccinated against pneumonia????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Be happy you've made it to 60, most of my pals haven't. 

Same here.  All my mates are dead from alcoholism, cancer, motorbike accidents, diabetes and suicide!

[quote]

..and get vaccinated against pneumonia

[/quote]

Since returning to the UK and registering with the NHS I have been offered a free colon cancer test (waiting for the result), free Covid booster, free flu shot and free pneumonia shot ????

[quote]

I guess your future health lies in the hands of your health insurance company.

[/quote]

Well I thought it did, but my health insurance company had other ideas...!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Be happy you've made it to 60, most of my pals haven't. 

That's my policy, made it to 67 so every extra day is good. 

I will accept death when it comes. No cancer treatment or chemo (beyond remove of spots) for me, it just doesn't appear worthwhile. 

Many of your friends die in their 50s? What was the causes?

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you want to live in a remote location?

Otherwise there is no point considering that option.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in any location which is more than walking distance to the next 7/11, restaurants, etc.

Well not 'remote' (as in the North Pole).  Think rural, in a village.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well not 'remote' (as in the North Pole).  Think rural, in a village.

In a rural village you still might have the problem with transportation.

If you own a car and you have someone except you who can drive that car, then that is fine. But otherwise, you have to rely on others. And that is sometimes difficult in those villages. 

In my case I had an aortic aneurism about 10 years ago.  Would have killed me if I hadn't had it operated on.  Since it runs in the family, my Mother paid for my brother and I to get an ultrasound screening.  Sure enough I had a pretty big one.  They can rupture and kill you in minutes.  They are usually asymptomatic until they get really big or rupture.