What ailments/accidents befall those over 60? Proactive actions to take?

simon43

On 3/13/2023 at 6:23 PM, BigStar said:

It's good idea in general for older people to live near suitable hospitals. I wouldn't live out in the weeds. I'm not concerned about a sudden emergency, but you never know.

If you crash your bike and break a bone or two, the hospital is the place to go. Otherwise steer clear.

Good health is in our own hands. IMO, stay away from medicines, pills, injections and procedures.

Live a happy, sensible life. Help raise the life-expectancy for farangs to 90+

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I don't need your permission!

All our short but happy life advocates should be required to post a list of their meds and ailments so that members may fully appreciate the happiness presently enjoyed. They may compare with their own list or perhaps look forward to what additional happiness awaits them.

The other day a diabetic member posted a misleading pic of a rich desert w/ nary a mention of his condition. In fairness, he should have put his meds in the pic as well.

So, let's have your list.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

All our short but happy life advocates should be required to post a list of their meds so that members may fully appreciate the present happiness. They may compare with their own list or perhaps look forward to what additional happiness awaits them. The other day a diabetic member posted a misleading pic of a rich desert w/ nary a mention of his condition. In fairness, he should have put his meds in the pic as well.

So, let's have your list.

I don't take any meds as i'm still <50 ( just ).

With most of our 'life expectancy' with our year of birth, not surprising stuff starts to go wrong after 60 years old.

Surprising some, like my parents, exceed their death date, even though stone alkys & chain smoker, while other, not as abusive with their body, meet the death, or much earlier from diseases.

Think  I posted this earlier, but not this thread ...

... we be on borrowed time ????????

If born this year, you're suppose to live 10+ yrs long than us 50's babies ????

birth year / expected / @ death or living

image.png.b8e35932aaddfe104331affcea5abe22.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, PJ71 said:

I don't take any meds as i'm still <50 ( just ).

But I don't and I'm still >72. Now a lot of the docs and meds chasing fun starts after 50, true. But the happiness engendered by an unhealthy lifestyle may start far earlier:

Diagnosed cases of type 1 and type 2 diabetes are surging among youth in the United States. From 2001 to 2017, the number of people under age 20 living with type 1 diabetes increased by 45%, and the number living with type 2 diabetes grew by 95%.

--https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0824-youth-diabetes.html

No matter the age, the blood work determines whether you need any meds. Obviously, you'd have to know all the numbers and what they mean, as many don't and refuse to find out while an underlying preventable condition just gets worse.???? I love this forum. All the social Darwinism. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But I don't and I'm still >72. Now a lot of the docs and meds chasing fun starts after 50, true. But the happiness engendered by an unhealthy lifestyle may start far earlier:

Diagnosed cases of type 1 and type 2 diabetes are surging among youth in the United States. From 2001 to 2017, the number of people under age 20 living with type 1 diabetes increased by 45%, and the number living with type 2 diabetes grew by 95%.

No matter the age, the blood work determines whether you need any meds. Obviously, you'd have to know all the numbers and what they mean, as many don't and refuse to find out while an underlying preventable condition just gets worse.???? I love this forum. All the social Darwinism. 

I have a full medical every 2 years.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A lot can start to go wrong in two years. I would advise every 6 months for over 70s and yearly if over 65.

With all due respect i'd advise you to worry about yourself and not me, i'll be fine.

But thanks for the concern.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

The fit slim over 70 guys i know aren't on any meds, maybe it's just the Buakhao and expat shop fat guys end up on meds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

With all due respect i'd advise you to worry about yourself and not me, i'll be fine.

But thanks for the concern.

I go for checkup every 6 months. At 75 they still can't find much wrong with me, but still take my dosh !   555

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The fit slim over 70 guys i know aren't on any meds, maybe it's just the Buakhao and expat shop fat guys end up on meds

Almost 90% of older adults regularly take at least 1 prescription drug, almost 80% regularly take at least 2 prescription drugs, and 36% regularly take at least 5 different prescription drugs. When over-the-counter and dietary supplements are included, these rates are even higher.

--https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/older-people’s-health-issues/aging-and-medications/aging-and-medications

Being fit and slim of course does go very far to mitigate the need for meds.

The proactive route to health I enacted was to quit poisoning myself with denatured food and water.

And removed the decades of accumulated poisons encapsulated in fat deposited in my body by fasting, exercising, drinking urine and distilled water plus a mostly natural diet.

Mental state control is crucial to health as when under stress the immune system turns off which leads to ailments.  So I developed multiple different hobbies to enjoy.

I discontinued all contact with doctors and hospitals, not wanting to become a junkie addict.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

parkinsons could get anybody 2 i know werent particulacy unfit 

No health-related thread would be incomplete w/o an invocation to the Fate Principle of ANF Longevity Science:

9.  What, me worry? II: Fate

It’s me fate. Might be hit by a lorry tomorrow. Get nekkid!

Some evidence that a healthy lifestyle is preventative, though, so we don't have that perfect justification here for doing nothing.

Lifestyle Interventions for the Prevention of Parkinson Disease

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I go for checkup every 6 months. At 75 they still can't find much wrong with me, but still take my dosh !   555

On the contrary, they've found typical symptoms of metabolic syndrome, for which you're very conscientiously taking the meds they've prescribed for you. And you're paying your dosh for those as well. That's "much."

FBS = 102, Triglyceride = 122, HDL = 37, LDL = 83, At my waist of 95 I should be 190 tall but I am only 177! 

Amlodepine 10mg/day, Bestatin, Baby aspirin, Micardis = 20mg. & Doxadozin for BHP. PSA = 5.4.

Recognizing the seriousness of the blood pressure condition, you're religiously checking your blood pressure night and day, as well you should be. 

And your TG/HDL ratio is in the moderate risk morality ratio.

image.png.fcfa744bbdb6da26ba5a2dd03db0d368.png

And you see where you are at 3.3. This study used 3.5 as a cutoff:

image.png.72e12228b65d0379273fd7e8af659298.png

--Triglyceride–to–High-Density-Lipoprotein-Cholesterol Ratio Is an Index of Heart Disease Mortality and of Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Men

And related it to diabetes. Not coincidentally your FBS suggests prediabetes, another worry. Ultimately, long-standing insulin resistance may be behind your problems.

Enough with the self-delusion.

22 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

The proactive route to health I enacted was to quit poisoning myself with denatured food and water.

And removed the decades of accumulated poisons encapsulated in fat deposited in my body by fasting, exercising, drinking urine and distilled water plus a mostly natural diet.

Mental state control is crucial to health as when under stress the immune system turns off which leads to ailments.  So I developed multiple different hobbies to enjoy.

I discontinued all contact with doctors and hospitals, not wanting to become a junkie addict.

Good post. Interesting perspective. I agree with most of it.

The biggest health problem facing the west is that of ignorance. Most believe - and as most farang in Thailand are from the west that would apply to them also - is that firstly the medical system is there for the benefit of their health, and secondly they know what they are doing. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Medicines, pills, injections are all toxic to the body. You cannot poison the body back to good health.

To quote Voltaire::

'''Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less,  in human beings of whom they know nothing.''''

Just as poignant and relevant today.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

At age 67,

Stinging nettle root tablet every morning to help me wee.

0.5gm cannabis smoked every night to stop my joints aching.

That's the lot.

Well, but you're our biggest fatalist and believer in Genetics Voodoo. What is it that's supposed to be your demise just any time now? Forgot. So even though your numbers might show the need for meds, would you actually take them (contrary to the Voodoo) unless for pain? Just asking. So you're telling us your numbers are all in line:

image.png.be94d9cfec526366b1c0ce6f2dd80bdd.png

Edited by BigStar

22 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"Just as poignant and relevant today."

No it ******* isn't.

Voltaire was living in the 18th ******* century! I thought it starange then, that would be doctors mostly had to learn the medicines that would cure the illnesses.

22 minutes ago, Enoon said:

See:  Medical Science, Advancement thereof.

"Owl sees **** all"

I can just about remember, when I was at medical school in East London, the lecturer saying that for every disease we have a cure. The cure he was referring to was a big pharma concoction. Now there is seemingly an injection for every complaint.

As I stated earlier, break you arm, go to the hospital. But good health - certainly in the western world - is down to ourselves.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and get vaccinated against pneumonia????

That almost killed me, after that vaccination went into a Coma and spent a week in the local government hospital 3 years ago.......... No idea why I was talked into getting the vaccination, must be my old age, as I already know cannot have vaccinations since a kid.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 8:18 PM, proton said:
On 3/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and get vaccinated against pneumonia????

Never knew you could

Just overcame pneumonia a week ago. Fever of 39 and 2 weeks in a Thai government hospital. Worst I ever felt and also the longest I ever felt this bad. Coughing blood and shivers if I wasn't in a blanket. 

My doctor is sending me for a vaccine to help against pneumonia (don't know the name) but I can't get it yet cos I need to wait a bit before. 

@simon43 if you can find a gvt hospital like I have in the boonies with private rooms then you are all set almost no matter what befalls you. About 3000bht a night if you don't have gvt social security. I do so it was only 600 bht a night. Only drawback is you need someone with you in your room 24/7. For the first few days I was in general population. Terrible experience. Stupid inconsiderate dorm mates listening to their phones full volume with no bluetooth headset. Nurses did little to ask them to put the volume down. 

I hear about the people back home in Canada waiting up to 48 hours in emergency rooms for treatment. It took only 8 hours for me to be seen and start being treated. That is a definite plus as to why Thailand is better than back home.

I am a regular at my gvt hospital and people almost know me by name in every department... lol... but overall I get really good treatment here. This week I am getting fully anesthetized for an MRI scan because I have claustrophobia, and this whole process only took a couple days to get rolling. Back home I fear to guess how many months before I could even get an appointment for an MRI. 

For me, no brainer. Thailand is the place to be as long as you have the means to cover the hospital bills.

Good luck dude.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How would I know, as I don't believe in tests?

As I suspected. I appreciate a man who consistently follows his beliefs. I've wondered why our believers in Genetics Voodoo and Fate would go against their beliefs and chase docs and meds to thwart the operations of the Voodoo. Similarly, to a lesser extent, among ostensible non-believers merely seeking that short but happy life. As in your case, their goal could be more assuredly achieved without the stress of dealing with the medical establishment. Smoke, drink, pig out, couch sit, waddle, and get on out of the way.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:09 AM, BigStar said:

The applause of the peanut gallery is deafening.

Such is the only conclusion reached by ANF Longevity Science, according to the Principles uncovered over the years by our well-qualified Researchers. Smoke, drink, eat cr*p, sit on your *ss, waddle around with a big belly to ensure a short but happy life, with a sudden and pleasurable ending with a smile on your face during a bonk.

In practice, as seen daily in the Health forum, the ending seems instead unhappy, preceded by decades of chasing docs, meds, surgeries, pain and suffering, and paying medical bills. Premature morbidity then leads to strokes, dementia, loss of mobility, etc. Why, of our two lead Researchers, one vanished after complaining of chronic dizziness; another, vocal advocate of doing nothing, suffered early BPH and now the ill effects of a seemingly failed Rezum. 

Rather comports with what I observe among friends following the early morbidity path. None of the early deceased ended with a smile on their face, all bravado quite exhausted.

The cool thing is that none suffering the obvious ill effects of a lazy, self-defeating lifestyle will ever admit to having been foolish by not pursuing the long but happy life, avoiding the need for docs and meds, feeling great in later years and compressing morbidity to a short period at the very end.

Well said.

I really like your attitude. 

Wish some of your advice I had read 20 years ago. 

• Thanks 1