What ailments/accidents befall those over 60? Proactive actions to take?

simon43

Neither a conventional ailment nor an accident but loneliness can be a killer.

Plenty of info online re this, just Google it.

PS it’s possible to be lonely in LoS unfortunately.

Edited by ArnieP
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2023 at 10:22 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

HPV from too mut muff diving leads to throat and mouth cancer and maybe lung cancer as theres lots of guys with lung cancer who never smoked a fag in their life

very curious..............................................

Statistically, a smoker is twenty times more likely to die of lung cancer than a non-smoker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArnieP said:

Neither a conventional ailment nor an accident but loneliness can be a killer.

Plenty of info online re this, just Google it.

PS it’s possible to be lonely in LoS unfortunately.

Women in their forties and fifties here are always looking for a relationship and support. They sure as death and taxes won't get any from the government, or most Thai males.

Before it became generally known I was taken, I would get propositioned once or twice a week, by women who had just met me..

There is no need to be lonely in Thailand. The trick is to pick a good woman.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:49 AM, Menken said:

I guess chemo does work for a few.

Every person that I know that had gone through chemotherapy has died. Obviously there's more to the mix than simply chemotherapy = doesn't work.

But imo it doesn't work for patients. It worked for the doctors, the hospital but not the patient

Correct M..a few years ago I was operated on for colon cancer.This reulted in a colostomy bag.The longest 2 years of my life.The Thai surgeon refused to reverse it until/unless I took the suggested chemo therapy.I refused.Reason being I had renal failure at the time and Chemo would have killed me.  I found a Dr in BKK who suggested a "PET" scan and if clear he would do the reversal for me.I did this and was "C" free.A bit later the procedure was reversed and I got my life back.Chemo is the worst possible thing IMHO.Its a racket for Dr and clinics.Nobody or very few survive that crap and lives to tell about it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Correct M..a few years ago I was operated on for colon cancer.This reulted in a colostomy bag.The longest 2 years of my life.The Thai surgeon refused to reverse it until/unless I took the suggested chemo therapy.I refused.Reason being I had renal failure at the time and Chemo would have killed me.  I found a Dr in BKK who suggested a "PET" scan and if clear he would do the reversal for me.I did this and was "C" free.A bit later the procedure was reversed and I got my life back.Chemo is the worst possible thing IMHO.Its a racket for Dr and clinics.Nobody or very few survive that crap and lives to tell about it.  

Thai hospitals may not have access to the most modern therapies, such as monoclonal antibodies and targeted inhibitors.

Chemotherapy is basically a poison, where it is hoped the cancer cells will die faster than healthy cells.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:52 PM, novacova said:

Prevention is paramount.

don’t smoke 

don’t drink alcohol 

exercise

stop eating fried food, sugar, carbs, mukata msg laced soup and processed junk

eat as much raw food as possible 

treat everyone with respect and kindness

stay out of toxic relationships 

dont live in a desperate state of mind 

and just be happy ???? 

This is good advice - especially the last four points.

Just be prepared that whatever prevention you take, ailments / accidents etc. will get you anyway. This is for everyone the same and regardless of age - starting when you are not even fully born yet up to 90+. There is no guarantee for anything exept that you will die some day. And this can happen any time. WIthin the next 5 minutes if need be. A friend of my wife just died when he was 19 without having some known ailments, same a friend of mine with 28.

To be aware of that is important and this makes the last four points in novocova's advice as well so precious.

[quote]

The other day a diabetic member posted a misleading pic of a rich desert w/ nary a mention of his condition. In fairness, he should have put his meds in the pic as well.

So, let's have your list.

[/quote]

1 tablet a day of Tamsulosin for my slightly-enlarged prostate.  TBH, I would probably be fine without it.  No other meds, a multivitamin tablet whenever I remember to take it, purely because I don't eat much meat (only chicken occasionally), and so might be missing out on a balanced mineral intake. Blood pressure fine, heart rate slow (big heart thanks to exercise) etc.

For years I've mentioned my lung illness that was the primary reason for moving out to Thailand 21 years ago (the UK cold weather was giving me bronchitus and pneumonia).  While back in the UK for prostate cancer investigations (none found!), I asked my GP to finally diagnose my lung medical condition.  Well, after x-rays, blow test, sputum test etc, they declared that there was nothing wrong with my lungs! (They told me this in person as I was coughing like an old man in the cold UK climate....).  Anyway, their diagnosis is good to know because I don't need to declare it as a pre-existing condition on my medical insurance application!

Edited by simon43
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Nice answer. Do you exercise and keep yourself generally in good shape? Many dont which makes them open to a whole variety of complaints

After a lot of deflection, he admitted in a previous thread that he doesn't to any significant degree, w/ implication of not dieting as well. So I guess it all hinges on--the water. ????

52 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I think of more as encouragement. you know, support to hurry you along.

have another donut, crack another beer old son.

i don't drink, only smoke and eat weed, is that ok?

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 2:29 AM, Kwaibill said:

I am missing part of my right big toe…. gangrene from a cat scratch. Docs here did a good job treating it here.

your lucky bob marley had a toe accident playing football and died of cancer of the big toe at a young age

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:29 AM, BigStar said:

Definitely roids in this case. Long time bodybuilder, has the genes as well. Not relevant to anyone here, many of whom will be happy to make it to their early 80s.

Jack Nicholson's made it to a demented 85. Good docs.

image.png.a0f6bc312af3cb285b07b30b06387099.png

wonder if jack has ED now ?

another thing to watch out for is grumpy and curmudgeonly behavior in old age ,,,numerous old school mates and friends from way back are not happy as they got married young to a a woman in desperation of being left on the shelf  and now that woman looks like frank bruno or mike tyson and when i tell them of my good life in thailand they are very jealous and wont speak to me via email.  their <deleted>ty life has been exposed as theyre old and crusty 

living in thailand keeps you young as you can get pally with a woman half your age and your whole outlook is glass half full 

On 3/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, Adumbration said:

Common causes for appendicitus are watermelon seeds and tooth brush bristles.

Don't eat seeds and replace your toothbrush regularly and you are all set to hit 100.

I need a source for this one. 

• Like 1

you can find an online tool, to give life expectency, based on your answers decide from there,

much can go wrong with medical errors, leading causes of death overall probably still Cardiovascular, but everything is risk/benefit  with medications and life I suppose