What ailments/accidents befall those over 60? Proactive actions to take?

simon43

8 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Many of your friends die in their 50s? What was the causes?

In no particular order ..........

Stomach cancer (age 49), Aids (age 59), abdominal aneurysm (age 63), 2x fall in shower (age 60+), fall off balcony (age unknown), liver failure (37), m/c crash (age 50+), fell in the moat (age 50+) died a week or 2 after, stroke (age 70) (Dave2 on this forum). Not sure if I should include NancyL we went to Thai reading/writing classes together.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But medical research has been pretty clear in coming to the conclusion that married men in general tend to live longer than single men do... 

Not really as true as you think...

"Conclusion

This study does not support the strong theoretical claims of marital protection and suggests that marriage exerts a mix of protective and adverse effects on health."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jomf.12784

Edited by K2938
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In no particular order ..........

Stomach cancer (age 49), Aids (age 59), abdominal aneurysm (age 63), 2x fall in shower (age 60+), fall off balcony (age unknown), liver failure (37), m/c crash (age 50+), fell in the moat (age 50+) died a week or 2 after, stroke (age 70) (Dave2 on this forum). Not sure if I should include NancyL we went to Thai reading/writing classes together.

At least they made it till 50+

motorcycle crash 21

2 different car crash 20 & 20

stabbed 22

shot 45

2 liver cancer 28 & 40

pancreatic cancer 45

lung caner 45

cardiac arrest 45

hit & run crossing street 48

drowned 23

AIDS 45 & 40

unknown in sleep 48 (TH)

suicide 40

2 drug OD 22 & 40

I'm 68 ... every day is a gift

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You forgot to mention having your throat slit by a Thai woman with a disembowelling cutlass  …… which will be officially recorded as suicide

¯\_()_/¯

That can easily be avoided.

Don't shack up with anybody.

6 hours ago, K2938 said:

"Conclusion

This study does not support the strong theoretical claims of marital protection and suggests that marriage exerts a mix of protective and adverse effects on health."

Right back at ya....

Married men are healthier than everyone else

"It turns out that when it comes to health, married people have an edge, especially married men.

Married men and married women live, on average, two years longer than their unmarried counterparts. One reason for this longevity benefit is the influence of marital partners on healthy behaviors. Study after study shows that married people eat better and are less likely to smoke and drink excessively."

https://fortune.com/2023/01/13/why-are-married-men-healthier-on-average-women-gender-research/

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

- I felt that I WAS dying as I lay on the ground repeating the mantra 'I do not want to die today'. It was an absolutely terrifying experience.

I always say "Today is a good day to die" when I go out.

(After watching 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'/'Little Big Man')

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you want to live in a remote location?

Otherwise there is no point considering that option.

Personally I wouldn't want to live in any location which is more than walking distance to the next 7/11, restaurants, etc.

You are exactly right, I read once an estate agent said .... always live in a location where you can walk to buy fresh milk....I have always remembered that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, K2938 said:

"Conclusion

older married mates never look happy as theyre saddled with  an ugly puss old woman of 70 plus

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

So if one is living in a rural area, far from a decent hospital, all the other ailments may give you time to travel to a suitable hospital for treatment etc.

It's good idea in general for older people to live near suitable hospitals. I wouldn't live out in the weeds. I'm not concerned about a sudden emergency, but you never know.

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

'm thinking how one can avoid sudden-onset, life-threatening illnesses or accidents. 

Most of these aren't sudden onset, but long in the making and preventable. Metabolic diseases start with insulin resistance. 

As others have noted, exercise and diet are the keys to prevention. Falls are preventable via strength training, esp for legs and lower body. However, most posters here prefer docs and meds to diet and exercise for that short but happy life.

One needn't go to a gym, either. I stayed quite fit during COVID with a TRX suspension trainer, resistance bands, a couple of dumbbells, and a treadmill. (But I recommend an exercise bike, preferably a recumbent bike, and interval training.) I used a lot of static contractions to increase the intensity of the body weight. I did some isometrics. I did back hyperextensions, reverse extensions, and leg raises on my bed.

When I did get back to the gym, the ramp up time was fairly short.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

real cycling is better than static as it gives your brain a workout to keep upright and avoid crashing in dangerous surrounds

It has some advantages. Unless, of course, you do crash or are hit by another driver. It's amazing how many cyclists are killed yearly in the USA. But real cycling as typically practiced, casually, tends not to be strenuous enough. It can be, of course. Static cycling can force a consistent fast pace; regulated intervals are easy to do (in one sense), and these save all kinds of time. The weather's never an excuse not to do it.

Edited by BigStar

osteoarthritis and crumbing bones and joints will eventually get you ,esp if your bigger size body mass .not much you can do ,old mates of big size have limited mobility nowadays   and blood clots in legs due to heavy boozing in the past

with age cartilage wears out and you have bone against bone 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

osteoarthritis and crumbing bones and joints will eventually get you ,esp if your bigger size body mass .not much you can do ,old mates of big size have limited mobility nowadays   and blood clots in legs due to heavy boozing in the past

I'm fortunate in that my body size is not 'big' - I weigh 65Kg. So jogging 5km every day is no problem ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Highlights another reason why people should maintain a healthy weight

• Like 2

A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials found that creatine supplementation improved measures of memory compared with placebo.

Benefits were more robust in older adults, perhaps because brain creatine content is thought to decline with age.

Effects of creatine supplementation on memory in healthy individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials

On 3/12/2023 at 7:25 PM, simon43 said:

Heart attack

Stroke

Cancer

Lung diseases

Diabetes

Pneumonia

Kidney disease

Alzheimer's disease

Accidents/suicide etc

Most of the above are due to lifestyle; and previous lifestyles. And most can be elevated, cured or eradicated with some 'drastic' and 'meaningful' changes.

Last time I gave someone on here medical advice it resulted in a suspension, so I'll not do that specifically

But there are certain fundamental principals worth considering. IMO, there is no such thing as an immune system. But there is a maintenance system, that is forever working to keep the body in good order. It - the body - needs nutrients to keep it performing at its best. What it doesn't need is poisons, toxins, bad quality air, poor quality water and food that only makes the body work overtime just to keep us healthy; which is the natural state.

There is also the exposure to EMFs and the stress of modern living.  Exercise is important for the over 60s. Important at any age, but moderation is the ticket as we get above 60 or so.

So what are we to do in order that the list above doesn't get us? Look at diet and lifestyle are the two I would say are most important. We - us humans - have evolved to be fruit and veg eaters, with the occasional fat and meat thrown in. Most people eat far too much. One 'decent' meal a day is enough for most of us. If we must 'snack' then a raw carrot - or par-oiled -  is preferable to a bag of crisps. Even a bag of salty crisps contains sugar. Sugar!!! The biggest single most destructive food our body can have. Cut it all out. Carbs are OK, but only in small quantities.

There is so much more. Another post? Perhaps a new thread '''Blueprint for modern healthy living'''? For us farang of course.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 9:41 PM, PJ71 said:

Rather just die i think!

The applause of the peanut gallery is deafening.

Such is the only conclusion reached by ANF Longevity Science, according to the Principles uncovered over the years by our well-qualified Researchers. Smoke, drink, eat cr*p, sit on your *ss, waddle around with a big belly to ensure a short but happy life, with a sudden and pleasurable ending with a smile on your face during a bonk.

In practice, as seen daily in the Health forum, the ending seems instead unhappy, preceded by decades of chasing docs, meds, surgeries, pain and suffering, and paying medical bills. Premature morbidity then leads to strokes, dementia, loss of mobility, etc. Why, of our two lead Researchers, one vanished after complaining of chronic dizziness; another, vocal advocate of doing nothing, suffered early BPH and now the ill effects of a seemingly failed Rezum. 

Rather comports with what I observe among friends following the early morbidity path. None of the early deceased ended with a smile on their face, all bravado quite exhausted.

The cool thing is that none suffering the obvious ill effects of a lazy, self-defeating lifestyle will ever admit to having been foolish by not pursuing the long but happy life, avoiding the need for docs and meds, feeling great in later years and compressing morbidity to a short period at the very end.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1