Myanmar - Tachiliek border run.

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

No chance. Land borders with Myanmar are not open to foreigners. Only for locals on border passes.

For us foreigners, the only method of entry to Myanmar is by air and then only to Yangon and Mandalay airports. The visa application process is tedious - see here - and costs $50USD + insurance costing $50USD too.  See here and be sure to read the section in red regarding land border restrictions.

We just got back this evening from 5 days in Yangon. We had a great time and it was so nice to be back there enjoying meeting the people, delicious food, sightseeing and shopping. While there, we saw fewer than 100 westerners.

20230309_181652.jpgimage.png.9b02719b8fdb52cd6b98dd343c799e50.png

I was there in Maesai last week end & approached the Border  & was asked if I wanted to do a visa so who knows..I said no but I was there to find out if it was open.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Maybe because other westerners have ethics and unlike you don't think it's cool to give money to a government at war with its own people.

That is a pretty good reason. However, I am prepared to bet that the low number of foreigners crossing is because they are unaware that it is open, and there are not yet organised visa runs going there.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is a pretty good reason. However, I am prepared to bet that the low number of foreigners crossing is because they are unaware that it is open, and there are not yet organised visa runs going there.

I was replying to the guy boasting about his wonderful holiday in Yangon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Maybe because other westerners have ethics and unlike you don't think it's cool to give money to a government at war with its own people.

Easy cheap shot regurgitated frequently over the last 30+ years. Talk to any Burmese on the street or running a small business, and ask them if they would rather that foreigners don't come, and they'll tell you they want more visitors. You don't know how much support we give to ordinary Burmese people on our visits.

100% of the money from those paying fees to immigration to do a "border bounce" is going to government or it's employees.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 4:41 AM, Tod Daniels said:

You're a little off on your information ????

There are TWO Burma borders with thailand that are open to people bouncing out and back;
Mae Sai / Tachileik in Chiang Rai Province
and
Mae Sot / Myawaddy in Tak Province..

BOTH those borders will let people bounce out and back without any issue

You show proof of vax history at Mae Sai (or a negative covid test & they send you to a nearby clinic/hospital to get one, the 7/11 30 baht test doesn't work ????)
but
people who bounced at Mae Sot were saying they didn't need to show it

Mae Sot charges 500 baht to stamp in and out of burma so you can stamp back into thailand

Mae Sai will take 10 USD if you tell them you only want to stamp in-n-out and go right back to thailand. Otherwise they charge 500 baht and issue you an Entry permit to Burma that lets you stay in the Tachileik are for 2 weeks (you can't go further into Burma than that area by the border).

Mae Sai entry.jpg

It used to be $10 regardless of a U-turn back into Thailand on the spot or short trip into the border town...is this a new thing that they confirmed to you in the Burmese immigration office ?

On 3/14/2023 at 2:53 PM, BritTim said:

Perhaps they vacationed there while training rebels how to operate Surface to air missile systems.