Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

6 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Even many in western countries are now feeling the their finances squeezed with interest rate rises, higher taxes, inflation, and the higher cost of living.  If they have a computer that's working, upgrading may be a luxury the can't afford. 

Why would anyone change their OS if they are happy with the present one, other than support being cancelled for the current one?

On 4/4/2023 at 11:42 PM, transam said:

W10 isn't that complicated, but you can install the W7 menu for people like you and still be confident of security updates....????

I wanted to change my 10 to work like 7, but I couldn't find anyway to do so. I did ask people that should know if it's possible.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:01 PM, MrJ2U said:

I've installed Windows 11.

However, barely use a laptop now with my Samsung Ultra 22 phone more than capable and convenient than a laptop. 

Laptop is convenient for watching Videos in a pinch though. 

Are you able to edit photos on your phone? The edit function on W10 is the only thing I like about 10, but photoshop worked just fine before.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no idea what is on 11, but 7 is way more easy to use than 10, Eg to create a new folder on 7 I just click the new folder box, but on 10 I have to change to home and then create a new folder, and the replacement for the snipping tool on 10 is an abomination, compared to the one on 7.

Little things I know, but make 10 less easy to work with, when they didn't have to change it.

Far as I'm concerned they only stopped supporting 7 to try and force people to buy a later OS- just greed.

How can you criticize W11 if you don't know what's on it?

To create a new Folder in W7,8,10 & 11, you simply Right Click on the area you want it, click NEW, FOLDER. Done.

Snipping Tool is just as easy as on previous Windows, probably YOU haven't taken time to explore that or obviously on W11.

Let's face it when you buy a new car, all the controls are not as they were on your 1970 Ford Anglia. There is a short learning curve.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

How can you criticize W11 if you don't know what's on it?

To create a new Folder in W7,8,10 & 11, you simply Right Click on the area you want it, click NEW, FOLDER. Done.

Snipping Tool is just as easy as on previous Windows, probably YOU haven't taken time to explore that or obviously on W11.

Let's face it when you buy a new car, all the controls are not as they were on your 1970 Ford Anglia. There is a short learning curve.

Oh dear, just as well I've never claimed to be any sort of computer expert, as I never knew about right clicking to create a new folder! I just tried it and you are so right.

Funny thing though, I've complained about that very thing with computer "experts" and none told me that.

So thank you for that.

Snipping tool on 10 has been replaced by something called snip and sketch and I hate it. The old one is so easy to use, and I have no interest in spending ages trying to work out how to use anything else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I won't be using 11 any time, as I'm happy using 7 and will use 10 because I couldn't buy a new one with 7. I bought a new one to use for things like this forum and to keep my 7 going for other things as long as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, just as well I've never claimed to be any sort of computer expert, as I never knew about right clicking to create a new folder! I just tried it and you are so right.

Funny thing though, I've complained about that very thing with computer "experts" and none told me that.

So thank you for that.

Snipping tool on 10 has been replaced by something called snip and sketch and I hate it. The old one is so easy to use, and I have no interest in spending ages trying to work out how to use anything else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I won't be using 11 any time, as I'm happy using 7 and will use 10 because I couldn't buy a new one with 7. I bought a new one to use for things like this forum and to keep my 7 going for other things as long as possible.

To open Snip & Sketch, Shift+Windows key+S. A box opens asking which shape you want, then as before you surround what you want to Snip, then Control S to save it. 

Just now, KannikaP said:

To open Snip & Sketch, Shift+Windows key+S. A box opens asking which shape you want, then as before you surround what you want to Snip, then Control S to save it. 

Thanks, but I will stick with what I'm comfortable with. I tried the snip and sketch and couldn't make it work as easily as snipping tool. Obviously I'm no computer expert and have no interest in putting in the time to become one- not enough life left to bother. If I can do the limited things I use a computer for that's good enough for me.

18 minutes ago, transam said:

I used this.................????

http://www.classicshell.net/

Deprecated. Now Open-Shell: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

You can also apply a lot of tweaks to make Win 10 look and act more like Win 7: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-look-like-windows-7

And use a desktop theme, and you'll hardly know you have Win 10:

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Deprecated. Now Open-Shell: https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

You can also apply a lot of tweaks to make Win 10 look and act more like Win 7: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-look-like-windows-7

And use a desktop theme, and you'll hardly know you have Win 10:

Loads of stuff out there, even putting W11 on a PC that's not compatible. Not tried that yet, as my W10 does exactly what I need for the foreseeable future.........????

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why would anyone change their OS if they are happy with the present one

That is a profound question on this forum.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

. . . other than support being cancelled for the current one?

Lack of support can be worked around if you know what you're doing. Safe browsing (with the help of addons), regular scans w/ third-party antivir, avoiding phishing scams, not opening doubtful files, firewall (third-party if needed), regular backups, etc.

Security is the issue but maybe not as big as you may think for the average user keeping his nose clean. A lot of the feature updates aren't really needed.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you able to edit photos on your phone? The edit function on W10 is the only thing I like about 10, but photoshop worked just fine before.

Yes,  Samsung along with  Google photos there are a plethora of editing tools.  In fact I rarely ever use my laptop anymore. 

Also, try the "Capcut app".   Top rated free app for photo and video editing. 

Of course there's a paid version that's worth it if you really do a lot of editing.

Edited by MrJ2U

On 4/12/2023 at 6:43 AM, BigStar said:

But that would be sour grapes, in this case.

And failed to inform Windows Update, right. Where may I download Rufus from Microsoft with instructions?

No.

No sour grapes.  Any operating system that would not work on a high percentage of machines, all around the world, was not going to be widely adopted in a short time frame. 

If it wasn't a publicity stunt, how important is the TPM anyway? 

Microsoft said Windows 10 was going to be their last operating system, yet they bought out Windows 11. 

Why is Microsoft still sending the notification that a machine does not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11 when they have allowed people with older machines to install Windows 11? 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Why would anyone change their OS if they are happy with the present one, other than support being cancelled for the current one?

Support, by way of security updates, would be the main reason. 

Support for Windows 10 doesn't end until October 2025, so I see no rush to move from 10 to 11, which is another reason Windows 11 has not been widely adopted to date. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

not going to be widely adopted in a short time frame. 

Was factored into M'soft's marketing, of course. Nothing to do w/ your "flop" nonsense, as you've been told several times.

If it wasn't a publicity stunt, how important is the TPM anyway?

But it was negative publicity for the broader market, so that would make no sense. How important are Windows Security Updates? Why don't you stop them?

TPM has been a thing for a while and chip/board/BIOS mfgs have been putting it in. You'll need to Google for yourself to learn what it is, rather than expecting me to spoon feed you, then bicker.

Microsoft said Windows 10 was going to be their last operating system, yet they bought out Windows 11. 

Usual misinformed ignorance. M'soft never said that. Wasting time . . . .

Why is Microsoft still sending the notification that a machine does not meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11

???? 'Cause it doesn't, at the time. But if you think it does, go ahead and install w/o doing anything further. We don't see people doing that, however. Why is that? ????

when they have allowed people with older machines to install Windows 11?

Some older machines do have TPM and therefore can run Win 11, w/ some config or even an addon.

But since you contend that M'soft "realizes" it made an error, according to your analysis, you still haven't given a link to M'soft's program like Rufus, or Rufus itself, to install Windows officially on computers hopelessly out of spec.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Was factored into M'soft's marketing, of course.

Microsoft told the world Windows 10 was to be the last operating system.  There should be no Windows 11 to market.  :cheesy:

But it was negative publicity for the broader market, so that would make no sense.

Negative publicity is still publicity.

Usual misinformed ignorance. M'soft never said that.

Not true.  Plenty on the net about it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/08/microsoft-windows-10-last-windows/?sh=261fe35b3328

"The Internet woke up to a shock this morning. Microsoft has used its Ignite 2015 conference to declare  Windows 10 will be "the last version of Windows"

I posted a quick Youtube clip on how Microsoft have made it a lot easier to install Windows 11 than previously. There is even a choice at install now.  I would say that somewhat of a back flip on their "flop" or publicity stunt.  

Got another notification to upgrade to W11, seems like every w10 upgrade, has yet another reminder to upgrade to W11.   Rather annoying actually.  

Take a hint, I don't want.   Seems with every upgrade, I lose features I like, and access to files I have, unless paying for Win program to access.   Why I still have XP & 7 on 2 other laptops.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Microsoft told the world Windows 10 was to be the last operating system.

Wrong, as I told you. M'soft made no such official pronouncement. It never appeared on any M'soft webpage.

That widespread misconception arose from a software developer speaking from his worm's eye view at a conference. NO responsibility for product planning, marketing, branding, or business development.

M'soft didn't actually confirm what he said, and in fact refused to do so: "We aren’t speaking to future branding at this time . . . ." But media ran with it anyway, so the myth persisted to mislead the gullible, such as yourself.

Negative publicity is still publicity.

But M'soft wouldn't plan for negative publicity, so again your point makes no sense. Just juvenile silliness for the sake of argument.

I would say that somewhat of a back flip on their "flop" or publicity stunt.  

Yet another illogical conclusion in the series.

Edited by BigStar

On 3/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, BigStar said:

What feature of Win 11 do I need that would make the bother of upgrading worthwhile? No, you would never downgrade; laughable bait. And why I should bother wasting time trying Win 11 when I'm perfectly happy with Win 10? It's tuned, tweaked, slim, beautiful, totally reliable, and very private. I know what I'm doing.

I have an old PC (2010) running Windows 10 and working very well. It is not compatable with Win 11. I have that running with "mouse without borders" to a new laptop. I tried Win 11 on my laptop and downgraded to Win 10 after a day. Why? Because it couldn't run some features I've used since XP that I like. Upgrades should allow me to use legacy features. I'll run Win 10 until it is no longer supported.

I hate upgrades and updates. If something serious is going to go wrong, that's when it happens. I take a system image at least once a month and before updating, which comes in handy if a new update renders my system unbootable. Windows system recovery features are useless if you can't boot.

My PC is used for trading, and I don't like to tempt Murphy with problems occuring at the worst possible times. Leave well enough alone is my motto.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/16/2023 at 3:03 PM, BigStar said:

Wrong, as I told you. M'soft made no such official pronouncement. It never appeared on any M'soft webpage.

That widespread misconception arose from a software developer speaking from his worm's eye view at a conference. NO responsibility for product planning, marketing, branding, or business development.

M'soft didn't actually confirm what he said, and in fact refused to do so: "We aren’t speaking to future branding at this time . . . ." But media ran with it anyway, so the myth persisted to mislead the gullible, such as yourself.

There's some truth to your comment, however, is this publication lying?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/08/microsoft-windows-10-last-windows/?sh=e49f6da3328c

"First some context. The statement came from Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon, a self proclaimed ‘developer evangelist’ who stated: "Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10.

If this sounds strange, Microsoft didn't help. The company today stepped forward to defend Nixon’s comment to The Verge saying it was “reflective” of the company’s opinion."

"The company stepped forward to defend Nixon's comment."  Fast forward to Windows 11, and it's either a back flip / U-Turn, or the publication is lying and MS never defended Nixon's comment about Windows 10 being the last OS.

But M'soft wouldn't plan for negative publicity, so again your point makes no sense.

The millions of notifications on Windows machines, all around the world, telling the owner their computer did not meet minimum requirements for Windows 11 is now great publicity for MS, is it?  

How many people were concerned about this notification?  How many people with a reasonably new machine at the time felt ripped off after receiving this notification?  How many negative posts of forums about Windows 11 and TPM and compatibility and minimum hardware requirements were there after the Windows 11 announcement? 

I would say Windows 11 created a lot of negative publicity.  Surely MS would have known that ruling out hundreds of millions of machines, all around the world, for Windows 11 was going to create negative publicity for MS.

Yet another illogical conclusion in the series.

My reasons for this are given above.  

It turns out MS have now made it easier for older machines to install Windows 11. From not meeting minimum requirements to making it easier to install seems to me to be a back flip.  What would you call it? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, BigStar said:

Because Win 10 is better. Win 8.1 is pretty good, though.

I remember well our ace cutting-edge hi-tech gurus sneering why I stayed with Win 7 instead of following their lead to--Vista!???? I love this forum.

That's all well and good but Vista preceded Win 7.

Windows NT Lineage (32 & 64 bit)
  • Windows 11 (2021) ...
  • Windows 10 S (2017) ...
  • Windows 10 (2015) - MS Version 6.4. ...
  • Windows 8/8.1 (2012-2013) - MS Version 6.2/6.3. ...
  • Windows 7 (2009) - MS Version 6.1. ...
  • Windows Vista (2006) - MS Version 6.0. ...
  • Windows XP (2001) - MS Version 5.1. ...
  • Windows 2000 (2000) - MS Version 5.0.
  • Like 1

"The company stepped forward to defend Nixon's comment."  Fast forward to Windows 11, and it's either a back flip / U-Turn, or the publication is lying and MS never defended Nixon's comment about Windows 10 being the last OS.

As I told you, the company explicitly refused to defend the part of the comment about "last version." It did generally support his comments about M'soft moving towards Windows-as-service. Forbes isn't totally lying, but certainly exaggerating, which the gullible, such as yourself, swallowed and repeated as if means something. 

Note that you still haven't given any verification on any offical M'soft page, because you can't.

AGAIN: that was never an official policy. Even if it were, it would merely undermine your point by implying that Win 10 was a flop. Such is your logical arguing, blathering and wasting time.

Surely MS would have known that ruling out hundreds of millions of machines, all around the world, for Windows 11 was going to create negative publicity for MS.

As I noted, M'soft factored in that older machines wouldn't meet the Win 11 requirements. Impossible it wouldn't. Tired of just going around and around in circles?

It turns out MS have now made it easier for older machines to install Windows 11.

Windows Update performs a strict check on the machine as it is currently configured. Explaining how older machines that do meet bare minimum TPM requirements can be configured, or can be upgraded, to run Windows 11 falls into the category of routine tech support--but really for more advanced users.

Nothing about the initial official installation of Win 11 via Windows Update or from the Media Creation Tool has been made easier in any way. No change, no backflip, no flop.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

That's all well and good but Vista preceded Win 7.

Of course it did. Win 7 been on mind a lot lately as I'm involved in upgrading a friend's PC from 7 to 10. Brain fart; I stayed on XP until Win 7 had been out a while.

Loved my XP, too. Had to admit Win 7 was a significant advancement.