Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

9 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

You have already stated your operating system. I was asking about your computer hardware system which would give you a boot time of 3.4 sec

Oh, I see. Sorry.

What exactly do you want to know? CPU? RAM? HD? Something else?

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

My new low spec laptop takes 6.1 secs, big difference than my old crappier one with win10.

What is your boot time? Task Mgr keeps a record.

How many seconds is yours?

It all depends on your SSD, RAM and CPU speeds. And which part of starting up is Boot Time and which is Loading Windows time, how do you know, and does it matter. And any Start-up programs you have enabled.

What's important is how soon can you use it after turning it on.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I have never heard of a 3.4 second W10 start-up, I am not saying it's not possible, but sounds a bit impossible to me..... :stoner:

Totally agree. 3.4 BOOT time is possible, but after that your Windows needs to download from you SSD and configure itself.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I have never heard of a 3.4 second W10 start-up, I am not saying it's not possible, but sounds a bit impossible to me..... :stoner:

Here's a screenshot.

As you can see, I have disabled some programmes at start-up. That probably speeds things up. 

Start-up time.jpg

Just now, KannikaP said:

Totally agree. 3.4 BOOT time is possible, but after that your Windows needs to download from you SSD and configure itself.

Yes, my old PC gets everything on screen but to actually do something takes a bit longer, mine is about 30 seconds to actually do something.......

36 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

You have already stated your operating system. I was asking about your computer hardware system which would give you a boot time of 3.4 sec

Intel i5 2.4GHz (11 Gen), 16GB RAM, ITB NVMe.

I've recently downgraded from WinXP to a new computer with W11, it is terrible and ugly.

W11 is like a renovation of an old house , adding "new" things , that aren't new at all.

A window is now a piece of white "paper" with some lines on and some text.

Productivity is bad for me. It is a bloaded OS .

I come from an 5400 rpm HD with 2GB of 667 Mhz DDR2 and a dual core CPU maxed out at 2,16 Ghz to an fast SSD , 16 GB 4800 Mhz DDR5 and 14 cores , and XP feels snappier than W11.

At least it doesn't look as childish as W10 with those tiles.

12 years without updates in XP went great , now I have to keep an eye open for all the sh_tty updates.

Privacy is terrible ,  so many settings to keep some privacy , and still a lot goes to microsoft .

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How do know what features there are in 11 if you have never tried it.

Irrelevant, actually. But since you know all the features, you can stop ignoring my question (a usual tactic):

What feature of Win 11 do I need that would make the bother of upgrading worthwhile?

and let me know what I need.

But of course I've read the detailed reviews of Win 11, just as I did for Vista and Win 10; and I keep up with recent developments on several technical sites I read daily. I see nothing I'd find useful enough to warrant upgrading. I do see new annoyances I'd want to deal with.

I never find any version of Windows great out of the box. They all need a lot of optimization. Naive users, of course, just take what they're given. If they got the latest version, they got the best. ???? 

In the case of Win 7 and 10, 10 finally became better enough to warrant an upgrade after it had finally stabilized. 11 hasn't yet, for my needs. I can probably stay with my 10 until extended support ends in 2032. I could also change to Linux, really liking OpenSUSE TW.

Now, if I felt my Win 10 lacked a feature I needed, I'd search to see if Win 11 had it. Or of course I could take advantage of your expertise. But it's likely I could simply download a third-party utility to supply it instead, and probably better.

As one of our verifiably computer-literate members says, quite rationally,

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But in the moment I don't see a reason to update existing computers to Windows 11. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

What feature of Win 11 do I need that would make the bother of upgrading worthwhile?

and let me know what I need.

That all depends on what you use your PC for.

You stick with W10, I am happy with 11. Cheers.

I wish I could go back.

Windows 10, far better on my computer.

Issues that I have, is that is is slower, and most annoying is that W11 will fail to start after a period of 'sleep'. Just will not start. I have to unplug my computer, just about every day, and 'restore' Safari to previous condition.

Never had that even once with W10, and I went from W10 Pro to W11 Pro.

I use RegCleanPro, to clean the Registry, good for the day. But the registry is always 'not optimal', when I run the optimization function.

Not a real big deal, but I do feel W10 pro was flawless compared to W11.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That all depends on what you use your PC for.

I'm happy to have contributed, after much tediousness, to this remarkable breakthrough in your understanding. It turns out that I know what I use my PC for! ('Course, now, that may be for more tasks than you use yours for, but who cares?) We've come full circle.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, BigStar said:

No, I see no reason for Win 11. Win 10 does all I need. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I have a massive spec Dell 7590 oled and it won't install hangs on reboot then forced to roll back x5 times everything is updated to the max its a known but unrectified Dell problem beware if you have this brand ????

have Dell Inspiron 5000 and have been waiting for all the bugs to be sorted out but your post made me re-think

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

to this remarkable breakthrough in your understanding.

My understanding of PCs and Windows is quite comprehensive.

The only thing I do not understand is why anyone is still using W8 or 10 simply because it works for them.

Bye.

1 minute ago, 3NUMBAS said:

no i hate it ,it stops you loading non ms products like chrome or firefox

WHAT? I have Chrome, Brave, You Tube, Whats App, Messenger, Facebook etc etc on my W11 PC. None of these are MS products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My understanding of PCs and Windows is quite comprehensive.

Yeah, been real impressed. ????

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The only thing I do not understand is why anyone is still using W8 or 10 simply because it works for them.

When could feel impressed with one's ability to have installed Win 11 and on the cutting edge? Excellent, indisputable point. We have reached a bridge too far.

Unless one lacks that need and possibly common sense.

Now in everyday life we might often hear something like "this present car is perfectly serviceable," esp. when the Thai wife wants the latest model to impress the neighbors. Or, "why does she (a villager) always need the latest iPhone?"

Unnecessary expense or bother may commonly come into play. Some may have time or money to waste, so buying or doing something gives life meaning, I suppose. ????  

As an aside, for tinkerers, there's a certain amount of challenge and fun involved in keeping an old machine running or fixing up an old appliance like new again. Or an old wife, but that's rather more difficult. There's a reddit group of hobbyists keeping Win98 going and updated, sort of. I enjoy building sleeper computers when I have the chance. Love to take, for example, an old Compaq case from the 90s, gut it and install modern parts. Would love to see the tech's face at some shop in the future opening it up for a repair.

Edited by BigStar

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yeah, been real impressed. ????

When could feel impressed with one's ability to have installed Win 11 and on the cutting edge? Excellent, indisputable point. We have reached that bridge too far.

Unless one lacks that need and possibly common sense.

Now in everyday life we might often hear something like "this present car is perfectly serviceable," esp. when the Thai wife wants the latest model to impress the neighbors. Or, "why does she (a villager) always need the latest iPhone?"

Unnecessary expense or bother may commonly come into play. Some may have time or money to waste, so buying or doing something gives life meaning, I suppose. ????  

As an aside, for tinkerers, there's a certain amount of challenge and fun involved in keeping an old machine running or fixing up an old appliance like new again. Or an old wife, but that's rather more difficult. There's a reddit group of hobbyists keeping Win98. I enjoy building sleeper computers when I have the chance. Love to take, for example, an old Compaq case from the 90s, gut it and install modern parts. Would love to see the tech at some shop in the future opening it up for a repair.

Do you update your software programs when it is offered?

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

My new low spec laptop takes 6.1 secs, big difference than my old crappier one with win10.

What is your boot time? Task Mgr keeps a record.

How many seconds is yours?

Looking at the 'Startup Apps', it indicates last BIOS time = 12 sec. 

FYI... I have disabled all the apps which are not required.

However, the real time from turning on the m/c until the desktop appears on the screen was 33 sec.  At that point clicking on any of the app shortcuts activates that app almost instantly.

As I said in my original post, maybe its me being a little impatient in my old age.

I use Windows to run a couple of programs that I use once a year.  Why?  Linux is far superior.  I run Win10 in a VM where it can't do much damage.  I won't consider WIn11 until my programs are no longer supported by Win10.  Probably around 2030 if I'm still alive (or if any of us are still alive). 

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, connda said:

I use Windows to run a couple of programs that I use once a year.  Why?  Linux is far superior.  I run Win10 in a VM where it can't do much damage. 

I'm always reading on

https://reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/

about somebody's grandmom using Linux after it's put on her old machine and configured. Some versions and DEs are friendlier to noobs than others.

As I noted earlier, I may eventually switch to OpenSUSE TW. Loving it on my spare computer. Rolling release, lots of updates, at your convenience, with no demands to reboot. Snapshots. KDE beautifully integrated. Very fast & resource-friendly. I haven't tried to print anything on my old printer, however. Flaky Linux drivers for that Canon model.