Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

3 minutes ago, ningnong said:

BIOS, which stands for Basic Input Output System, is software stored on a small memory chip on the motherboard.
https://www.lifewire.com/bios-basic-input-output-system-2625820

Yes you are correct. I was wrong. 

But it does need time to be processed.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

I bought my new Acer Swift 3(prod. date Dec, 2020) last Aug, 22. It came with Win 10..which is great because I don't want Win 11 until they fix all the bugs. My previous laptop was a 2010 HP, it came with Win 7 Home and worked great for 10 years, mostly because I replaced the HDD with an SSD. 

Unfortch, my new Acer is in the Pattaya2U shop right now. It's a huge, long story I'll write up once/if they're able to revive it. 

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

That is impossible for a fresh start up. The bios must download from your SSD and be processed.

Utterly clueless. "download from your SSD" ???? "Processed" by what?

Enough with the imaginary BIOS loading BIOS times and "processed" BIOS. Learn the most elementary principles of how a computer boots, what gets loaded, and what the boot time (as opposed to Windows bootup time) actually means.

Who knows, someday you may (cough) need to add or remove a boot entry from the Windows boot menu or know how repair the bootloader, other than to stick in your installation "disk" and run Startup Repair.???? It's amazing how often Startup Repair tells you "Startup Repair couldn't repair this computer automatically." And that's when you say, D**n you, Bill Gates! Oh, Google, google . . . .

OK, maybe time we see what some knowledgeable techs say about Win 10 vs Win 11 speeds according to standard benchmarks. If your Win 11 boots up faster, that's probably due to a fresh installation and better hardware. Otherwise, all else equal, it may be slightly slower.

Some will want a real-world informed view of the downsides of Win 11 external to the vague self-satisfied chortles of our local cutting edge, hi-tech fanbois on the forum. Or M'soft propaganda duly parroted by the legacy computer sites in their own financial interests.

First, Windows 10 vs 11 bootup times:

Windows 10 vs. Windows 11 - Boot Time Comparison

How to get a more precise estimate of bootup times, if that's somehow important to you:

Free software to measure Boot or Startup Time in Windows 11/10

Speed in general:

Windows 10 vs 11 | Speed Test

Windows 11 vs Windows 10 22H2 Speed Test & Gaming!

'Course, these tests don't take into account the extra clicks and inconvenience you suffer to do stuff in Win 11--part of the dumbing-down.

And of course we (esp. if you ain't yet gone and done it) need the Win 11 sucks section, hee.

11 Things I Hate About Windows 11

What Sucks in Windows 11

The latter neckbeard also has a video pointing out more favorable aspects.

What you can do to speedup your Win 11 (some tips apply to Win 10 as well--'course, if you'd already optimized your Win 10, now you gotta do it again for Win 11.????) Some don't mind bloat, if it's M'soft approved bloat, but I rid of as much as possible.

How Make Windows 11 Faster | 200% Faster

Windows 11 MEGA OPTIMIZATION Guide - Tips and tricks to speed up your PC!

Windows 11 Settings You Should Change NOW!

The taskbar has had some improvements, though not enough. Subject for another thread. At least Open-Shell now works on Win 11, if you prefer the old Win 7 style Start menu: https://www.makeuseof.com/open-shell-in-windows-11/

Lot of these guides out there. Enjoy!

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, KannikaP said:

That is impossible for a fresh start up. The bios must download from your SSD and be processed.

Maybe your figure is from waking from Sleep.

Possibly. Both my W10 machines (upgrades from W7 several years ago) show "0.0 seconds" so maybe something got left 'unplugged' on the upgrades?

On my brand new W11 laptop, it says 3.0 seconds.

I though the BIOS resided on a chip on the mobo, not on any SSD. Or is this the new security malarkey that W11 mandates?

Already asked/answered.

Edited by NanLaew

33 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Possibly. Both my W10 machines (upgrades from W7 several years ago) show "0.0 seconds" so maybe something got left 'unplugged' on the upgrades?

I though the BIOS resided on a chip on the mobo, not on any SSD. Or is this the new security malarkey that W11 mandates?

Already asked/answered.

Sorry but I was wrong thinking the BIOS is on the SSD, it is on a chip on the mobo.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

"If you see that the Last BIOS time is set to zero, it doesn’t mean that you have a super-powerful PC, which instantly turns on. This happens on a PC running on BIOS since Last BIOS time seems to only work with UEFI."

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-last-bios-time-in-windows-10-task-manager

On 3/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, grain said:

I tried Win 11 a few times over the past year or so and never liked it at all and always quickly reverted back to Win 10. However, just yesterday I got offered a new update to Win 11 so gave it a try and I'm surprised how much better it is, everything is much faster, so now it's a keeper for me.

Despite what I said then I've now reverted back to Win 10. I'm working all day with music & image files, lots of cutting, pasting, renaming and resizing, all these functions I found more tedious on Win 11. Everything I want to do works very well with Win 10, at first I thought Win 11 was faster, but now using Win 10 again I haven't noticed any difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2023 at 6:42 AM, grain said:

Despite what I said then I've now reverted back to Win 10. I'm working all day with music & image files, lots of cutting, pasting, renaming and resizing, all these functions I found more tedious on Win 11. Everything I want to do works very well with Win 10, at first I thought Win 11 was faster, but now using Win 10 again I haven't noticed any difference.

Have you considered learning bash or powershell? I'm doing a lot of copy and pasting of files and folders for my work as well. Some simple commands have saved me loads of time.

• Like 1

would appreciate any feed back on Win 11 installation errors... tried to install 4 times and gave up as errors keep popping up. I did a compatibility check (Windows PCHealth Check Up) and it says my machine is good for it, thus running 64 bit system downloaded the ISO for 64

ERROR = we couldn't update the system reserved partition went on line to find help/solution for that error, unfortunately the suggestion didn't work.

Decided to try Microsoft Media Creation Tool/ Installation Assistant, it goes up to 71% then it stops, restarts and the 2nd try, asks to create USB flash drive and then at the 71% point the error pops up

ERROR = error code 0xc1900201f and another is 0x8007007

Windows 11 was pre-installed on my new laptop. (Back up for travelling.)

It was clunky to use in the beginning. (Smaller icons and slightly different, weird colours. I have a large screen next to a desk  top with another large screen W 10 - the colours are definitely 'off' on W 11.)

I have not found it to be quicker or better in any way BUT I am a basic user. Just Open office, Adobe Acrobat and emails

• Like 1

theyre so over security   concious its very difficult as they want to know all your bizness to proceed and even when you give em all details your its very hard ..i cant even get into the apps store even tho my details are all kosher ,google and ms are so paranoid about security you get locked out,,,so i have gone back to windows 7 and its easy

On 3/27/2023 at 7:52 AM, 3NUMBAS said:

i am better off without popups ,i dont need <deleted> Popups..THEYRE A NUISANCE ,,WINDOWS 7 RULES ...LIFE IS EASY

Windows 7 will probably be remembered as the most popular and best operating system Microsoft came out with. 

Whilst I'm running Windows 10, I am using Open Shell, formerly known as Classic Shell,  to make it look and feel like Windows 7.

When support ends for Windows 10 and I move to Windows 11, I'll still be using Open Shell.  

One only has to look at the amount of downloads of Classic and Open Shell and wonder why Microsoft persist with the Windows 8, 10 and 11 UI. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

On 3/15/2023 at 3:29 AM, LosLobo said:

Windows 11 came on my new Ryzen 5000 Acer Swift X.

I am amazed at its functionality, especially the AI.

The only issue I have so far past 3 months is that I get the black screen of death with an auto restart about once a week. It only last a few seconds.

I think there may be some software compatibility issues which should eventually sort itself out with updates.

I do have two Notebooks with Intel Processors, both run without any problems. My Ryzen one however does the same as yours, gets one or two times a week a black screen. Somethimes I have to restart because he looses the wifi signal. It is my second Ryzen Machine with problems and my last one. Windows 11 is fine, the Ryzen is the problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

When support ends for Windows 10 and I move to Windows 11, I'll still be using Open Shell.  

Very bold of you. Expect to be called a caveman by our cutting-edge hi-tech gurus. But that way you may be able to avoid the ads.

As mentioned in the beginning, this month's preview update also comes with a new set of notifications (that some might describe as ads), which will show up in the sign-out flyout of the Windows 11 Start menu.

"This update introduces notifications for Microsoft accounts in the Start menu. This is only available to a small audience right now," Microsoft explains.

"It will deploy more broadly in the coming months. Some devices might notice different visual treatments as we gather feedback."

--Windows 11 KB5023778 update adds promotions to the Start menu

Hee.

Edited by BigStar

32 minutes ago, CHdiver said:

I do have two Notebooks with Intel Processors, both run without any problems. My Ryzen one however does the same as yours, gets one or two times a week a black screen. Somethimes I have to restart because he looses the wifi signal. It is my second Ryzen Machine with problems and my last one. Windows 11 is fine, the Ryzen is the problem.

Yes my Ryzen crashes are not an inconvenience yet.

More of an annoyance.

But I live in hope that Windows 11 will address the problem sooner than later.

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

Very bold of you. Expect to be called a caveman by our cutting-edge hi-tech gurus. But that way you may be able to avoid the ads.

As mentioned in the beginning, this month's preview update also comes with a new set of notifications (that some might describe as ads), which will show up in the sign-out flyout of the Windows 11 Start menu.

"This update introduces notifications for Microsoft accounts in the Start menu. This is only available to a small audience right now," Microsoft explains.

"It will deploy more broadly in the coming months. Some devices might notice different visual treatments as we gather feedback."

Hee.

Only for people with a microsoft account , I hope.

I don't have one.

It was already a pain to get rid of the widgets and the ads/news in start menu and in edge.

Everytime they get out something new , I have to search to get rid of it , like the big B (bing) in edge.

So much useless stuff like onedrive, clipchamp , windows games which is full of ads > uninstall.

Some of the games in XP work in W11 (but without sounds) , XP calculator is better than the ugly W11 one.

Snipping tool had a bug , I use the office 2003 office picture manager ... still works in W11. 

After what , 2 /3 decades of windows , you still need a third party media player ?

Movies & TV or the Media player s_ck.

WMP legacy is doable.

What I do like is scrolling in a window without the need to select it. Setting battery levels to start and stop charging.

But those things may have been in other versions too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FlorC said:

So much useless stuff like onedrive, clipchamp , windows games which is full of ads > uninstall.

Always a ton of debloating and tweaking to do. Stop as much telemetry as possible. Get rid of Cortana, stop internet search, etc.

After what , 2 /3 decades of windows , you still need a third party media player ?

Yeah, what's with that. I use MPC-BE. For images, Faststone Image Viewer. PDFs, PDF-XChange. Browsing, Firefox Developer and others. Music, foobar; I see Winamp's finally got an update and release. 'Course, you have to fight M'soft for the default everything.

What I do like is scrolling in a window without the need to select it.

Wheel Here's been around since 2012. http://moochos.nobody.jp/en/software/wheelhere/index.html. Still works.

23 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Setting battery levels to start and stop charging.

Never really needed that. But some laptops have their own utilities. Anyway, there's Battery Limiter freeware:

https://www.robotonfire.com/bl/

Edited by BigStar

Yes cortana and teams and others I already forget , I unnstalled them quickly.

Too often the nagging about making edge the default browser.
Now I do like edge , even with the endless tweaks for more privacy, but I refuse to put it as default .
Compare W11 Photo (viewer) with the same picture in paint , a media player , ... and the photo viewer's colours are off . How to use that to make changes when the colours are not real ?

I just came from XP , so scrolling without selecting window , is new for me.

Last computer's battery , I could take out , but now they are inside so limiting charging
via software is great.

What I don't like is that when you move or copy files to another window/folder , it automaticly orders them . The copy process is weird too although I like that I can see the speed and a graph.

19 minutes ago, FlorC said:

What I don't like is that when you move or copy files to another window/folder , it automaticly orders them . The copy process is weird too although I like that I can see the speed and a graph.

I've never bothered w/ Windows Explorer, always used Total Commander, one of my essential utilities. Big jobs, I put in the background and carry on with other stuff. Tracks amount copied in realtime. Customizable toolbar, so I have icons linked to folders, scripts, and programs. Appearance customizable, lots of options. Tabbed in both panes. Can be portable, so I also have it on a utilities thumbdrive.

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Hee.

I'll stay with Windows 10 and Open Shell until the week before they cease support, then go to Windows 11.  

I really do prefer the Windows 7 UI.  I understand everyone is different, but things seem to be where I would expect them to put by the developers in Windows 7, unlike Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. 

I see there are some workarounds for the TPM issue with upgrading to Windows 11 from an older machine.  Some of it might be a bit much for many users around the world.  Windows 11 could flop when support for Windows 10 ceases.